UB's Maynard shines at Cal

When Jeff Quinn took over he was blindsided by Maynard's decision to bolt the program. The kid went to Cal with no guarantee of starting and beat out 5 other hopefuls to win the starting gig. Too bad he didn't stay at UB, I think he would have shined in Quinn's offense.

Cal Picks Maynard

Maynard's story at UB was an odd one. His first season was under Turner Gill, who I feel was too distracted thinking about getting a BCS job to pay attention to UB after winning the MAC. Maynard had a brilliant start but spiraled down hill rapidly. Gill gets the Kansas job, Quinn gets hired to replace Gill and 5 seconds later Maynard announces he's transferring to Cal.

Honestly Maynard probably did the right thing. Quinn had a great pedigree coming in but his first season at head coach at UB makes me wonder if he has two nickels worth of football smarts to rub together in that head of his. Quinn just named Jerry Davis the starter...AGAIN! This kid couldn't hit the Niagara River if he was standing in the middle of the Peace Bridge and he's starting again. :doh: You know I'm a big UB booster and season ticket holder but I'm predicting a one-win season...and maybe not even one.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Maynard's story at UB was an odd one. His first season was under Turner Gill, who I feel was too distracted thinking about getting a BCS job to pay attention to UB after winning the MAC. Maynard had a brilliant start but spiraled down hill rapidly. Gill gets the Kansas job, Quinn gets hired to replace Gill and 5 seconds later Maynard announces he's transferring to Cal.

Honestly Maynard probably did the right thing. Quinn had a great pedigree coming in but his first season at head coach at UB makes me wonder if he has two nickels worth of football smarts to rub together in that head of his. Quinn just named Jerry Davis the starter...AGAIN! This kid couldn't hit the Niagara River if he was standing in the middle of the Peace Bridge and he's starting again. :doh: You know I'm a big UB booster and season ticket holder but I'm predicting a one-win season...and maybe not even one.

PTR

Jerry Davis is silly athletic.

When Jeff Quinn took over he was blindsided by Maynard's decision to bolt the program. The kid went to Cal with no guarantee of starting and beat out 5 other hopefuls to win the starting gig. Too bad he didn't stay at UB, I think he would have shined in Quinn's offense.

Cal Picks Maynard

Was the right decision for him to leave because winning at big school is better than a small one and gives him a better chance to get drafted. Hopefully someday UB will be a big school.

well..I just bought a number of tickets for the UB vs. Tennessee Vols game in Neyland Stadium in October. A number of us UB alums are going to watch and root for David against Goliath. 120,000 some Vol fans and about 30 or 40 of us UB fans! Go Bulls.

Sure will be interesting to watch him play against Andrew Luck (assuming Maynard is still starting then). I thought Maynard had some great talent when i saw him at UB. He needed some seasoning but maybe now that he's older and has some confidence he will be productive for Cal. Good for him. Kids transfer to different schools all the time.

PTR- if UB only gets one win, Warde Manual should fire the guy immediately. Warde has his reputation as an AD tied to that hire. He got an "A" for hiring Gill. Right now this hire is incomplete but looking poor so far.

Sure will be interesting to watch him play against Andrew Luck (assuming Maynard is still starting then). I thought Maynard had some great talent when i saw him at UB. He needed some seasoning but maybe now that he's older and has some confidence he will be productive for Cal. Good for him. Kids transfer to different schools all the time.

PTR- if UB only gets one win, Warde Manual should fire the guy immediately. Warde has his reputation as an AD tied to that hire. He got an "A" for hiring Gill. Right now this hire is incomplete but looking poor so far.

Agreed. I'm really irritated we couldn't keep Gill (though I don't know who to be irritated at - Gill, UB, the gods, ...). I really hope we have more than a single great season.

UB isn't like a lot of D1 college programs. The athletic dept has a small budget and can't afford to carry coaching contacts. So Quinn is here for his entire deal. But yes Warde's rep is on the line here.

Hey I thought Quinn was a great hire at first, but watching him work last year made my hair stand on end. Quinn looks like a coach who is married to a system no matter what. How many coaches run the shotgun on 4th and inches?

PTR

UB isn't like a lot of D1 college programs. The athletic dept has a small budget and can't afford to carry coaching contacts. So Quinn is here for his entire deal. But yes Warde's rep is on the line here.

Hey I thought Quinn was a great hire at first, but watching him work last year made my hair stand on end. Quinn looks like a coach who is married to a system no matter what. How many coaches run the shotgun on 4th and inches?

PTR

Quinn reminds me a lot of Gregg Williams. Williams was going to run his schemes even though his personnel was ill suited for it.