Jeep Wrangler Tire Question

TSNBDSC

... just bought a 2011 Jeep Wrangler ... came with Goodyears ... sure enough, I get a nail within 2 weeks ... find out through Discount Tire website that they're not the best tire for durability anyways ... so I need recommendations for a good tire that will hold up ... all terrain ? ... BF Goodrich ? ... BTW, I work the Post Office, thus the need for great tire ! ... thanks guys, tom ...

It isn't the tire that is the problem with picking up nails... The Goodyears are just as fine as others when picking up road hazards... The issue here is that they are NEW and have an agressive trread. That is what sucks about getting new tires, especially, off-road tires... The newer they are, the more they are a "magnet" for picking up all kinds of hazards.

Really... Get another brand and the same thing will happen when they are new... Especially with agressive thread patterns. You were just unlucky. The Goodyears do use a softer compound, that will give you less miles/wear... YET, better handling.

I hate getting new tires... They always seem to be a magnet. Same with windshields. I have a 2006 TJ, the windshield looks like a war-zone... With the Jeep Wranglers having such an upright design, the windshields are also a magnet for chips and cracks... I am waiting for my windshield to be unusable, then I will change it out... I put a new in, it is just gonna get cracked up right away.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I got BF All Terrains on mine...from the Tire Rack.....no regrets there.

Recommend the tire rack also. You can see different brands that will fit your jeep and read reviews of them from other owners. Plus if you order from TR, they have authorized installers all over so you can have the tires shipped right to a local shop, rather than your own home and have to haul them yourself.

... just bought a 2011 Jeep Wrangler ... came with Goodyears ... sure enough, I get a nail within 2 weeks ... find out through Discount Tire website that they're not the best tire for durability anyways ... so I need recommendations for a good tire that will hold up ... all terrain ? ... BF Goodrich ? ... BTW, I work the Post Office, thus the need for great tire ! ... thanks guys, tom ...

So..am I missing something here...your worried about durability but about to trash 3 perfectly good new tires, and one that needs a $15 plug, to get ones that have better durabilty instaed of getting everything you can out of the ones you have now?

Not trying to be an ass here..just trying to understand

So..am I missing something here...your worried about durability but about to trash 3 perfectly good new tires, and one that needs a $15 plug, to get ones that have better durabilty instaed of getting everything you can out of the ones you have now?

true .... if nothing else you will want to buy two tires that match side to side and not having all 4 match seems silly given that they are new. I agree with other comments about tire rack.com they saved me a big pile of cash when I had to replace a sport rated tire on the wifey's car.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, its a Chrysler product. Your transmission will probably go bad before you can even buy your second set of tires. :thumbsup:

actually I drive a 1998 Chrysler Cirrus as what I call my "airport car" - as in I don't mind leaving it parked at the airport for days where people are free to set luggage on it, door ding it - whatever - it has been a very reliable inexpensive vehicle. It is the anti Skooby vehicle - If I am carrying my laptop, IPad and cell phone the sum total value of the electronics is worth more than the blue book on the car :lol:

<br />So..am I missing something here...your worried about durability but about to trash 3 perfectly good new tires, and one that needs a $15 plug, to get ones that have better durabilty instaed of getting everything you can out of the ones you have now? <br /><br />Not trying to be an ass here..just trying to understand<br />
<br /><br /><br />

... as a rural mail carrier you tend to pick up a lot of road hazzard driving around ... i'm looking for a tire that won't go flat every two weeks because of that ...

plez... My post was more polite! :P

He puts any brand of off-road tires on and he will start picking up road hazards... Luck of the draw and where one wheels! Really, to the OP... Anything with an "agrressive tread pattern" (especially when new) WILL BE A MAGNET FOR ROAD HAZARDS... Comes with the territory! That is why I hate getting new off-road tires and driving the thing on road... Or even off-road where there is a ton of junk!

I'd save the cash and keep the Goodyears till the wear/puke put.. Then change them... They are one of the best tires on the market. The nail he picked up has nothing to do with the make of the tire. Just bad luck!

<br /><br /><br />

... as a rural mail carrier you tend to pick up a lot of road hazzard driving around ... i'm looking for a tire that won't go flat every two weeks because of that ...

Like I said.. You are just gonna have to wear them down a little. You get anything with an agressive tread and it will be a magnet for hazards... Until the tread wears down a bit! Really... New off-road tires of any kind are the problem. Don't blame Goodyear! You would pick up more nails with some of the other more agrresive tires... REALLY! Picking up a nail isn't a sign of "durability".. Just a sign that you picked up a nail... Again, easier with off-road tires.

What I like about my TJ is that I took off the plastic "floaties" on the end of the bumpers... Basically made the bumpers into "rock bumpers"... I carry a plug kit in the vehicle and just plug the tire while still on the vehicle... Without anything in the way... It is really easy to access the tire... Especially the front, just turn the wheel and you have the whole thing exposed. Carry either a portable compressor to air up or install an on-board one.

I always plug my tires... Never had one go bad. Tires places want to patch... They can fetch more money breaking down the tire/wheel... And I suppose there is less liability.

Also... I suggest getting a Hi-Lift jack:

Hi-Lift

Hood Mount

It will also double as a manual winch/come-along to get your vehicle unstuck too!

Oh... Another thing... Did you ever see what kind of tires the old mail DJ (Dispatch Jeep) Jeeps had on the? Not big, fat, off-road tires!!!! In fact, the DJ were only 2 wheel drive.

The narrow, skinny, tall, old-school Jeep tires... With a nice ON-road tread is what you are probably looking for... Of course, that isn't "cool" nowadays! :nana:

Here is a DJ5

Check out the tires on this ELECTRIC DJ5

Wiki: Jeep DJ

"The Dispatcher Jeep, or DJ, was a two-wheel-drive variant of the CJ series. Production started in 1955 by Kaiser that became Kaiser-Jeep in 1963. In 1970 American Motors (AMC) purchased Kaiser's money-losing Jeep operations establishing AM General, a wholly owned subsidiary, that built this model through 1983...".

Here is a Gala Surrey :nana:

It really isn't the size, make of the tire... Even the 4x4... It is the is the magic in the DRIVER/OPERATOR... ;)

Maybe you should spend the coin and get the military run-flats... With beadlocks... ;)