Donovan McNabb

Donovan McNabb is one of my favorite players in the NFL because all he does all the time is prove people wrong. He was booed when Philadelphia drafted him and then had a wonderful career for the Eagles. He was traded and then slighted by the Redskins and I believe he will bounce back next season, maybe in Arizona or Minnesota, and create a lot of buzz and stir deep into the playoffs, but I digress. I just read this article and it just makes me mad. There is enough hate in this world, I don't understand why people like this Hopkins guy get to speak. He doesn't even make sense. I don't know. Read it for yourselves...

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/29227509

That is just awful ...

Fact: McNabb had a better career than Kelly with a lot worse supporting cast. He has been a great guy off the field. It is pathetic the amount of hate he has gotten. Hopkins is a punch drunk idiot.

also a fact: McNabb's defenses were perenially top-5/top-10 during his tenure in Philly. Can Jim Kelly say the same?

I agree that Hopkins is an assclown and shouldn't be allowed to speak in public. Ever!!! But McNabb is a joke of a QB in my opinion. He was a direct product of Andy Reids system in Philly with average skill. My biggest response se to McNabb lovers is how he was huffing and puffing with the game on the line in his only SuperBowl with plenty of time to come away with a win. And that's after he lost how many NFC championship games? 5? Even TO played on a recently broken leg and had an amazing game.

Then there's the stupidity of not knowing that overtime is limited in the pros. The guy stinks in big games.

It is an idiotic comment that he is an average player and a product of the system. Using your baseless theory, Joe Montana is an average QB and the product of Bill Walsh's system. And as for sucking in big games look no further than jim Kelly before throwing stones.

Donovan McNabb is one of my favorite players in the NFL because all he does all the time is prove people wrong. He was booed when Philadelphia drafted him and then had a wonderful career for the Eagles. He was traded and then slighted by the Redskins and I believe he will bounce back next season, maybe in Arizona or Minnesota, and create a lot of buzz and stir deep into the playoffs, but I digress. I just read this article and it just makes me mad. There is enough hate in this world, I don't understand why people like this Hopkins guy get to speak. He doesn't even make sense. I don't know. Read it for yourselves...

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/29227509

What do you expect from a guy who isn't a real fighter, get in the cage punk, but too many white guys in there that would whoop his ass.

McNabb is a good QB. Shanahan is too inflexible to work with a player, he just tries to pound square pegs into round holes and when they don't fit he declares they aren't good enough (except Haynesworth who is just a lazy clown). McNabb will do well in AZ or Min, hope he makes it to one of them.

BTW thank God Shanahan didn't come here, wish Cower did because we would have a skilled defensive HC who actually knows what a zone blitz is and we would still have Chan running the Offense, it would have been win win. Hopefully they got the right guys coaching defense now or there will be more restructuring next off season.

Fact: McNabb had a better career than Kelly with a lot worse supporting cast. He has been a great guy off the field. It is pathetic the amount of hate he has gotten. Hopkins is a punch drunk idiot.

This is not only not a fact, but it's also one of the dumbest statements ever made on this board.

McNabb was and is a west coast "system" QB who made his numbers off of checking down to his RB, Brian Westbrook. He is no where near the class of QB that Jim Kelly is in. McNabb would never in a million years be able to do what Kelly did if given the same weapons. He simply has never possessed the downfield bomb threat the Kelly did. McNabb would have been a useless player on that team.

I don't get why people are so enamored by west coast QB numbers. You can say that McNabb was the best "system" QB ever (btw, you could also say that he's the most over rated QB ever), but to compare him with a real Hall of Fame QB like Jim Kelly is insane. There's a reason why McNabb will never see the Hall of Fame without buying a ticket.

This is not only not a fact, but it's also one of the dumbest statements ever made on this board.

McNabb was and is a west coast "system" QB who made his numbers off of checking down to his RB, Brian Westbrook. He is no where near the class of QB that Jim Kelly is in. McNabb would never in a million years be able to do what Kelly did if given the same weapons. He simply has never possessed the downfield bomb threat the Kelly did. McNabb would have been a useless player on that team.

I don't get why people are so enamored by west coast QB numbers. You can say that McNabb was the best "system" QB ever (btw, you could also say that he's the most over rated QB ever), but to compare him with a real Hall of Fame QB like Jim Kelly is insane. There's a reason why McNabb will never see the Hall of Fame without buying a ticket.

1) Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion, doesn't make it done. Plus after reading some of your posts, you're hardly the one to be throwing dumbest post stones.

2) I'm as big of a Bills fan as there is, yet I can recognize that Kelly played with, at worst, a top 10 all time talented offensive supporting cast. McNabb played with scrub receivers for most of his career. Don Beebe, arguably, would have been the most talented receiver McNabb played with until they got TO for a season.

3) McNabb's number better than Kelly in virtually ever important qb category.

McNabb http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaDo00.htm : W-L 97-57-1 (63%, killed by his season in WAS), 230 td, 115 int (2 td to 1 int), 85.7 QB rating.

Kelly http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm : W-L 101-59 (63%), 237 td to 175 (1.4 td to 1 int), 84.4 QB rating.

4) In his one year with TO, and McNabb's star receivers won't Todd Pinkston and James Thrash, he averaged 8.4 ypa. Kelly's best season was 8.2.

5) Your stupid west coast argument contradicts your whole argument. When Kelly missed games, Frank Reich played as well, if not better, than Kelly. Perhaps having a ton of talent made Kelly a better qb?

My point is not to knock our best QB ever. However, McNabb was a very, very good QB who gets more hate than any QB in his ballpark has ever gotten.

also a fact: McNabb's defenses were perenially top-5/top-10 during his tenure in Philly. Can Jim Kelly say the same?

Good point. The 90s Bills' defense had a bunch of scrubs. Luckily, Kelly and the offense was able to carry deadweight like Bruce, Biscuit, Conlan, Jones, etc.

1) Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion, doesn't make it done. Plus after reading some of your posts, you're hardly the one to be throwing dumbest post stones.

2) I'm as big of a Bills fan as there is, yet I can recognize that Kelly played with, at worst, a top 10 all time talented offensive supporting cast. McNabb played with scrub receivers for most of his career. Don Beebe, arguably, would have been the most talented receiver McNabb played with until they got TO for a season.

3) McNabb's number better than Kelly in virtually ever important qb category.

McNabb http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaDo00.htm : W-L 97-57-1 (63%, killed by his season in WAS), 230 td, 115 int (2 td to 1 int), 85.7 QB rating.

Kelly http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm : W-L 101-59 (63%), 237 td to 175 (1.4 td to 1 int), 84.4 QB rating.

4) In his one year with TO, and McNabb's star receivers won't Todd Pinkston and James Thrash, he averaged 8.4 ypa. Kelly's best season was 8.2.

5) Your stupid west coast argument contradicts your whole argument. When Kelly missed games, Frank Reich played as well, if not better, than Kelly. Perhaps having a ton of talent made Kelly a better qb?

My point is not to knock our best QB ever. However, McNabb was a very, very good QB who gets more hate than any QB in his ballpark has ever gotten

Good point. The 90s Bills' defense had a bunch of scrubs. Luckily, Kelly and the offense was able to carry deadweight like Bruce, Biscuit, Conlan, Jones, etc.

Good post. Also, Shananhan is the inflexible one. He has one system that he uses. If we had McNabb he would be back to a pro bowl caliber QB. It takes a player with skills (McNabb) and a Coach who knows how to use them (Gailey or Wisenhunt) to make a player successful. All the hate toward McNabb is crazy.

Edited by RyanC883

I never was a fan of McNabb's, as I am not a fan of several other "star" QBs. But I recognize his talent. While he's far from one of the all time greats, he's above average. That means he's not perfect, he's going to make mistakes, and he's going to cost you at times. But at the end of the season, he will have done you more good than harm. But like nearly every other QB, he needs a coach and a system that maximizes his strengths and masks his deficiencies.

McNabb had a great career with a lot of very good years. Why do people dump on someone once the years and injuries start taking their toll. As I recall, Kelly was a shadow of himself his last two years.

If y'all play fantasy football McNabb was a top five / top ten pick for a number of years. For several years he was the first QB picked. Now you may want to knock a fantasy football comparison but it is an accurate measurement of how effective the guy was getting into the end zone either by passing or running. To say he is overrated is inaccurate, to say he was dynamic is very accurate. To disqualify his accomplishments as a product of a system is doing the man a severe injustice.

Edited by jumbalaya