Is it just me or is Buddy having a great time?

I've really been enjoying his recent interviews and in my eyes it sure looks like he's having a grand time being in charge of football. He came out of retirement but he doesn't show signs of weariness or regret of that decision. (unlike Levy IMO) He looks more comfortable than when he first took the job and at this point it looks to me like there is nothing else in the world that he'd rather be doing.

I have grown to really like him as our GM.

+1 For sure! Hopefully having some real football guys around the FO will turn things around. Looking forward to what he can keep doing and getting to see the bigger picture.

Now he's just got find that elusive baby. For now, we've got a lot of labor pains to deal with, literally and figuratively.

:lol:

Hey, the NFL draft is like Christmas time to GM-scouts and Nix was handed a huge gift by Carolina and Denver as the Bills were able to draft the best rated player in the 2010 NFL draft, If I'm Nix I'd be ecstatic

I still so happy the Bills weren't given the option of drafting Cam Newton

I've really been enjoying his recent interviews and in my eyes it sure looks like he's having a grand time being in charge of football. He came out of retirement but he doesn't show signs of weariness or regret of that decision. (unlike Levy IMO) He looks more comfortable than when he first took the job and at this point it looks to me like there is nothing else in the world that he'd rather be doing.

I have grown to really like him as our GM.

Compared to Levy, Nix is but a lad..... Buddy is 14 years younger than Marv......

I am really loving what Nix is doing here. He has been consistent in his mantra that "We will not continue to do the same things, that is losing, with the same people doing the losing." He has changed the coach, the scouting department and is beginning to make a real impact on the type of players we are getting now. He is hiring good football people who understand what it takes to win and have come from winning programs. It cannot be stated strongly enough that this is of monumental importance when deciding on the type of players they want here. They KNOW what it takes from players to win in this league, and are not assembling a patchwork group of guys based on some talent.

He is bringing in talented players in the draft that played at bigtime winning schools in college(Alabama, Texas, LSU, etc). This HAS to be the start of changing the mentality of the team. Jettison the players who have begun to accept losing from all the losing they have done, get new people who are not used to losing and keep the people who still are upset by it. That is the way you will start to see us winning the close games instead of losing them. It all starts with the belief by the players when they get in those situations they expect to win the games, not lose them. They aren't afraid of making the mistake to lose the game, they are excited about the anticipation of making the big play to win the game. They KNOW they are gonna win the game, not worry about losing it. Once you get enough guys with talent and that type of attitude on the team, their results will start changing.

I will be very surprised with the way Buddy is going about building this team if the results don't start following within 2 or 3 years. VERY surprised. This is not some willy nilly building plan he has. This is a solid, well thought out plan that has come from working on winning teams, seeing how things are done there, and replicating them here. Nix has surrounded himself with very good football people, especially Whaley, who I believe is going to be groomed to take over as GM when Nix decides t hang them up. This plan may not be working as fast as people want it to, but it definitely looks like it is heading in the right direction and gaining momentum...

I am really loving what Nix is doing here. He has been consistent in his mantra that "We will not continue to do the same things, that is losing, with the same people doing the losing." He has changed the coach, the scouting department and is beginning to make a real impact on the type of players we are getting now. He is hiring good football people who understand what it takes to win and have come from winning programs. It cannot be stated strongly enough that this is of monumental importance when deciding on the type of players they want here. They KNOW what it takes from players to win in this league, and are not assembling a patchwork group of guys based on some talent.

He is bringing in talented players in the draft that played at bigtime winning schools in college(Alabama, Texas, LSU, etc). This HAS to be the start of changing the mentality of the team. Jettison the players who have begun to accept losing from all the losing they have done, get new people who are not used to losing and keep the people who still are upset by it. That is the way you will start to see us winning the close games instead of losing them. It all starts with the belief by the players when they get in those situations they expect to win the games, not lose them. They aren't afraid of making the mistake to lose the game, they are excited about the anticipation of making the big play to win the game. They KNOW they are gonna win the game, not worry about losing it. Once you get enough guys with talent and that type of attitude on the team, their results will start changing.

I will be very surprised with the way Buddy is going about building this team if the results don't start following within 2 or 3 years. VERY surprised. This is not some willy nilly building plan he has. This is a solid, well thought out plan that has come from working on winning teams, seeing how things are done there, and replicating them here. Nix has surrounded himself with very good football people, especially Whaley, who I believe is going to be groomed to take over as GM when Nix decides t hang them up. This plan may not be working as fast as people want it to, but it definitely looks like it is heading in the right direction and gaining momentum...

The thing is... Nix is showing better this year then last.... as I will never forget Cornell Green for 3 mil per who was the worst RT ever. There were a bunch of areas the team failed in last year, lets hope that doesn't happen again this year. Stating that I wonder if Gailey is the right HC, he certainly would have been a great OC under Bill Cowher. But the team regressed in every area except passing offense, you would think that would have to improve from Turk Schonert and Alex Van Pelt.....although It didn't improve until Fitz took over though.

Gailey would do better with some better coordinators under him, it just seems like the guy is pulling a Jauron by hiring assistants that aren't very good. Makes me wonder how much time will Nix give his good ole boy HC.

The thing is... Nix is showing better this year then last.... as I will never forget Cornell Green for 3 mil per who was the worst RT ever. There were a bunch of areas the team failed in last year, lets hope that doesn't happen again this year. Stating that I wonder if Gailey is the right HC, he certainly would have been a great OC under Bill Cowher. But the team regressed in every area except passing offense, you would think that would have to improve from Turk Schonert and Alex Van Pelt.....although It didn't improve until Fitz took over though.

Gailey would do better with some better coordinators under him, it just seems like the guy is pulling a Jauron by hiring assistants that aren't very good. Makes me wonder how much time will Nix give his good ole boy HC.

True with Cornell Green and Trent Edwards, but the thing I admire with them is as soon as they realized it was the wrong decision, they admitted that they could not make it the right decision by giving it more time, and cut bait. They acted swiftly and decisively when they realized they made a mistake and tried something else. Way too many times you see a guy trotting out there that everyone knows is a disaster because the team either wants to justify their decision or because they don't want to have to eat some money. The Bills did neither.

As far as coordinators, I tend to agree I would like to see better, but the fact that they aggressively went out and got Dave Wannstadt when he became available and came here when he had other DC offers seems to tell me that George Edwards will be on a VERY short leash this year. As far as OC goes, I think Gailey just wanted someone that he knew could teach the offense to his players properly since he is the one calling the plays anyway. Our running game I thought improved quite a bit towards the end of the year and did fairly well against some pretty formidable defenses.

I would look for better perfomances on both sides of the ball since they have had a year in the system and do not have to do as much thinking. Last year especially on defense, it just looked like there was too much thinking going on and not enough reacing, or players just not in their poper assignments. Some of that should get cleaned up this year with their seemingly strong draft as well as more familiarity of what is expected of them and where they are supposed to be on any given play. On offense, I am super excited to see what Marcus Easley can bring to the field. Him and Danny Batten are virtually like 2 additional draft picks his year since both were hurt in training camp and missed the entire year. I think Easley will be pushing for playing time pretty early in the year if he can impress as much as he did early in training camp before he got hurt...

Harvey I have to agree with you on Cornell Green. Nix has had his miscues. I was more than baffled at the Green signing. It flabbergasted me actually. But I took a step back and realized no FO is infallible. Our FO will make more mistakes from time to time which I expect (no FO is perfect). It's just the nature of things. But overall imo we finally have a FO that will make the best decisions in the long run. For this I am happy.

Now back to the main topic. Hellz yes Buddy is having a hellz of a time! Who wouldn't be in his shoes?

Harvey I have to agree with you on Cornell Green. Nix has had his miscues. I was more than baffled at the Green signing. It flabbergasted me actually. But I took a step back and realized no FO is infallible. Our FO will make more mistakes from time to time which I expect (no FO is perfect). It's just the nature of things. But overall imo we finally have a FO that will make the best decisions in the long run. For this I am happy.

I completely agree. I also didn't like but hoped Green would be "serviceable" as a temporary RT. He sure wasn't.

Now back to the main topic. Hellz yes Buddy is having a hellz of a time! Who wouldn't be in his shoes?

Most people if they were in over their heads.

Edited by Mark Long Beach

I completely agree. I also didn't like but hoped Green would be "serviceable" as a temporary RT. He sure wasn't.

Most people if they were in over their heads.

LOL. If they were in over their heads, yes. If they were not, and they had a good idea of where they were leading the team, then yes too.

True with Cornell Green and Trent Edwards, but the thing I admire with them is as soon as they realized it was the wrong decision, they admitted that they could not make it the right decision by giving it more time, and cut bait. They acted swiftly and decisively when they realized they made a mistake and tried something else. Way too many times you see a guy trotting out there that everyone knows is a disaster because the team either wants to justify their decision or because they don't want to have to eat some money. The Bills did neither.

As far as coordinators, I tend to agree I would like to see better, but the fact that they aggressively went out and got Dave Wannstadt when he became available and came here when he had other DC offers seems to tell me that George Edwards will be on a VERY short leash this year. As far as OC goes, I think Gailey just wanted someone that he knew could teach the offense to his players properly since he is the one calling the plays anyway. Our running game I thought improved quite a bit towards the end of the year and did fairly well against some pretty formidable defenses.

I would look for better perfomances on both sides of the ball since they have had a year in the system and do not have to do as much thinking. Last year especially on defense, it just looked like there was too much thinking going on and not enough reacing, or players just not in their poper assignments. Some of that should get cleaned up this year with their seemingly strong draft as well as more familiarity of what is expected of them and where they are supposed to be on any given play. On offense, I am super excited to see what Marcus Easley can bring to the field. Him and Danny Batten are virtually like 2 additional draft picks his year since both were hurt in training camp and missed the entire year. I think Easley will be pushing for playing time pretty early in the year if he can impress as much as he did early in training camp before he got hurt...

Marv Levy hired his OC in Ted Marchibroda, and ole Teddy taught JK to call his own plays, figured out that JK was at his best in the 2 min drill and started using the no huddle offense all game long. He installed the old Redskin "counter trey" and had Thurman Thomas actually running the ball more then JK was throwing it. That kind of ingenuity comes from a top coordinator, usually a season experienced veteran NFL assistant or in Teds case ex-head coach. Marv was an ex special teams coach who was clueless about the offense, heck he tried to run the wing -T in KC before he went to Canada.

Marv was secure enough in his job as HC and finally understood his own limitations and that he needed a top OC, and he went out and hired one. Dick Vermeil did the same thing when he was hired back into the NFL to be the HC of the St Louis Rams, his whole staff was filled with old timers as assistants, the WCV factor

What I think Gailey fails to realize is, that its tough enough just to be the head coach without doing all the extra things he is doing in Buffalo, setting up the offensive game plans, calling plays. He is basically trying to run the entire offense and doing about 5 jobs while also trying to be the head coach. Just because Sean Payton can do it doesn't mean every HC can do it.

My entire reason for stating such is the mere fact that CJ Spiller was named starter last year for the opener, Gailey most likely asked his assistant if he was ready and got the nod, but when Spiller took the field he was far from ready and didn't know how to do his job at RB. How does something like this happen on an NFL team?

Anyway, I know I'd feel better about the Bills chances of winning if they had better assistant coaches all around, defense and offense.