Sick move Lebron puts on Rondo in game 2

Yes, Lebron has been having his way, with much better defenders than Rondo. He is also getting away with a lot of contact, and, unbelievably (for the NBA!!-sarcasim) traveling. Wade and James carry the ball better than Jim Brown.

I suspect, the next two games, in Boston, Miami isn't going to get away with as much...the officiating the first two games was pretty one-sided. That is just the way it goes in the NBA...on another night, in another city, James "sick move" might have been a charge.

Miami obviously has two more vastly talented players than Boston, but I still think Boston can be a better team, when they play the way they are capable. They seemed to be stymied, defensively, by Miami. If Shaq returns, and can actually contribute something, that would help...just my sour grapes! Whatever happens, happens.

Edited by Buftex

thats what makes it so sick...lebron didn't touch him....rondo tried to buy the charge....hence the wink buy rondo

So that's what is considered a sick move in the NBA today. A blatant charge and a dunk and hanging from the rim for 5 seconds? Yawn.

thats what makes it so sick...lebron didn't touch him....rondo tried to buy the charge....hence the wink buy rondo

I can't get your video to load. This the same play/camera angle? Looks like contact to me...

link

I didn't see a wink on this one.

i really don't think there was contact, i saw it as it was going on live, and if there was contact, it was certainly not worthy of any call...it was a brilliant spin move and rondo did everything to sell it...if there was contact, don't you think rondo would have been a bit more upset about not getting a call...

I can't get your video to load. This the same play/camera angle? Looks like contact to me...

link

I didn't see a wink on this one.

i really don't think there was contact, i saw it as it was going on live, and if there was contact, it was certainly not worthy of any call...it was a brilliant spin move and rondo did everything to sell it...if there was contact, don't you think rondo would have been a bit more upset about not getting a call...

I didn't see it live, but from the video he didn't have any time to complain. I also don't know what Rondo's common on court behavior looks like. Is he Kevin McHale who complained about every call/non-call, or does he just play the game?

With the way the NBA is officiated I don't think that any player not on the top tier can expect a call. Why complain?

Yes, Lebron has been having his way, with much better defenders than Rondo. He is also getting away with a lot of contact, and, unbelievably (for the NBA!!-sarcasim) traveling. Wade and James carry the ball better than Jim Brown.

I suspect, the next two games, in Boston, Miami isn't going to get away with as much...the officiating the first two games was pretty one-sided. That is just the way it goes in the NBA...on another night, in another city, James "sick move" might have been a charge.

Miami obviously has two more vastly talented players than Boston, but I still think Boston can be a better team, when they play the way they are capable. They seemed to be stymied, defensively, by Miami. If Shaq returns, and can actually contribute something, that would help...just my sour grapes! Whatever happens, happens.

Rondo is one of the best defensive players in the NBA and that wasn't traveling. :thumbdown:

Rondo is one of the best defensive players in the NBA and that wasn't traveling. :thumbdown:

No, it wasn't traveling, because they didn't call it. They rarely call it in the NBA, particularly when a player is making a "power move"...and I am not implying that LeBron, or Wade are the only ones who get away with it...they pretty much let everyone (or at least "superstars") get away with it...when I played hoops, a zillion years ago, most of these type plays would get a traveling call...the NBA (and Stern has admitted as much) has a looser interpretation of what traveling is. You see it all the time...guys hold the ball, almost like a running back, as they "turn the corner" into the lane, and then launch themselves, with a running start, over the defenders. They let it go, because it is an exciting way to score, for many viewers. On this play, perhaps it wasn't traveling, but what they used to call "palming" (after he knocks Rondo over and changes direction), or double dribbling.

I am a Celtics fan, I know Rondo is one of the better defensive players in the NBA. What I meant was (my fault for poor choice of words), LeBron has had his way with guys who are much closer to his size...guys like Garnett and Pierce, who are not defensive slouches either. When Lebron is making a power move, a guy Rondos size can offer very little resistance. Windshield beats bug, every time.

Pooj, did you miss Lebron's left shoulder to the chest of Rondo, as he was catching the pass? Lebron is about 150 pound heavier than Rondo...

Edited by Buftex

So that's what is considered a sick move in the NBA today. A blatant charge and a dunk and hanging from the rim for 5 seconds? Yawn.

EXACTLY! I am trying to find the picture online of the one the Sun-Times had of Derek Rose on its back page... Literally, he looks like a tailback "carrrying' the ball with already a full step at the top of the paint. Don't get me wrong, I like the Bulls... But the picture was horrible! Literally had the ball cradled under his arm like a running back! Is this what passes for basketball now? Don't even ask how many steps he probably took! :blink:

Just like Michael "Walk" Jordan!

I stick by my assertion that it was considerably more Rondo selling the charge than Lebron making enough contact to warrant a charge being called against him

A picture that shows a carry/travel...heck I want to see that.. :-)

EXACTLY! I am trying to find the picture online of the one the Sun-Times had of Derek Rose on its back page... Literally, he looks like a tailback "carrrying' the ball with already a full step at the top of the paint. Don't get me wrong, I like the Bulls... But the picture was horrible! Literally had the ball cradled under his arm like a running back! Is this what passes for basketball now? Don't even ask how many steps he probably took! :blink:

Just like Michael "Walk" Jordan!

I stick by my assertion that it was considerably more Rondo selling the charge than Lebron making enough contact to warrant a charge being called against him

A picture that shows a carry/travel...heck I want to see that.. :-)

I really didn't see the play... Just commenting on Chef's take... But any indication of how the game is played now... I side with him... Like my comment about Jordan... At least he (Jordan) had the ball out there looking like he was playing basketball and could actually dribble with the thing! That Derrick Rose shot/picture was totally "power" like Buftex said... You should have seen the ball... Totally cradled under his arm like a running back! I am really shocked that somebody w/ the Sun-times used the photo. I am not even big into basketball yet, I even know that something fundamentally wrong there with the picture that was used! I wish I could find the pic... He literally looked like a half-back!!!!!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yeah, my comment on sticking by my assertion was in reply to buftex...I must not have hit reply within his post. The game has changed over time, be it for good or bad, these guys are playing within the boundaries they have...I have chosen to roll with the changes and continue to enjoy the game, I get people like another era of the game...nobody is forced to be exposed to sports(WNBA excluded)

I really didn't see the play... Just commenting on Chef's take... But any indication of how the game is played now... I side with him... Like my comment about Jordan... At least he (Jordan) had the ball out there looking like he was playing basketball and could actually dribble with the thing! That Derrick Rose shot/picture was totally "power" like Buftex said... You should have seen the ball... Totally cradled under his arm like a running back! I am really shocked that somebody w/ the Sun-times used the photo. I am not even big into basketball yet, I even know that something fundamentally wrong there with the picture that was used! I wish I could find the pic... He literally looked like a half-back!!!!!

Yeah, my comment on sticking by my assertion was in reply to buftex...I must not have hit reply within his post. The game has changed over time, be it for good or bad, these guys are playing within the boundaries they have...I have chosen to roll with the changes and continue to enjoy the game, I get people like another era of the game...nobody is forced to be exposed to sports(WNBA excluded)

Fair enough... But really the walks, carries/travels, and all the subjective BS gets me down... I mean come on! The stars get special treatment? It is eroding the game from the inside out! Bring the game back to its fundamental roots a little! 4 step carries! Looking like power running backs out there! That is just wrong!!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Pooj...I love the NBA, at least as much, or more, than anyone here. Please don't misconstrue what I said...I am not one of those "the game was so much better before" types. I do think it went through a pretty miserable period after Jordan retired, for the final time, from the Bulls. I really think that teams like the Spurs and Pistons, in the 2000's, kind of saved the game...and returned it to the great team game that it can be.

My point was really, if there is one problem I have with the game now, it is the officiating. You can make the same complaint about any sport, I suppose, but in the NBA, home court, and status of the players involved play too big of a roll in how a call goes. Lebron made a nice play, no doubt...however, I still think, if that same thing had happened in Boston, it would have been a charge.

Edited by Buftex

No, it wasn't traveling, because they didn't call it. They rarely call it in the NBA, particularly when a player is making a "power move"...and I am not implying that LeBron, or Wade are the only ones who get away with it...they pretty much let everyone (or at least "superstars") get away with it...when I played hoops, a zillion years ago, most of these type plays would get a traveling call...the NBA (and Stern has admitted as much) has a looser interpretation of what traveling is. You see it all the time...guys hold the ball, almost like a running back, as they "turn the corner" into the lane, and then launch themselves, with a running start, over the defenders. They let it go, because it is an exciting way to score, for many viewers. On this play, perhaps it wasn't traveling, but what they used to call "palming" (after he knocks Rondo over and changes direction), or double dribbling.

I am a Celtics fan, I know Rondo is one of the better defensive players in the NBA. What I meant was (my fault for poor choice of words), LeBron has had his way with guys who are much closer to his size...guys like Garnett and Pierce, who are not defensive slouches either. When Lebron is making a power move, a guy Rondos size can offer very little resistance. Windshield beats bug, every time.

Pooj, did you miss Lebron's left shoulder to the chest of Rondo, as he was catching the pass? Lebron is about 150 pound heavier than Rondo...

Nooo. It wasn't travelling because it wasn't travelling. It takes an NBA player like Lebron 2 or 3 steps from the 3 point line to get to the net. It may look like travelling, but he took 2 quick dribbles after the spin move to get to the net. It wasn't travelling.

When you played hoops a zillion years ago? Were u still playing when the nets were still made out of peach baskets?? Players are a lot more athletic then they were during that time old timer.

Edited by DreReed83

Nooo. It wasn't travelling because it wasn't travelling. It takes an NBA player like Lebron 2 or 3 steps from the 3 point line to get to the net. It may look like travelling, but he took 2 quick dribbles after the spin move to get to the net. It wasn't travelling.

When you played hoops a zillion years ago? Were u still playing when the nets were still made out of peach baskets?? Players are a lot more athletic then they were during that time old timer.

Yes, I get that...but, I bet, if they had called travelling, you wouldn't have heard many arguments. ;)

Just to switch gears a bit....Rondo playing, and being somewhat effective, with a dislocated elbow is unreal...I complain when i get a sniffle....this guy is a real gamer....

If Rondo ever develops a more consistent shot, he would be unbelievable. Right now, he can do a lot of things, because teams don't respect his shooting ability. He is young...he gets a little better every year. I think he will develop that shot.