Drafts over. What free agents should we go after?

My short list:

QB: Tyler Thigpen or Tarvaris Jackson - both mobile QBs with experience that can win a few games if needed

TE: Matt Spaeth - solid blocking TE with good hands; comes from a winning culture in Pittsburgh

OT: Tyson Clabo - nasty RT that is a bona fide starter

DE: Trevor Pryce - veteran 5-tech that can teach Dareus and lead in the locker room, plus he'll come cheap

LB: Kirk Morrison - solid-but-unspectacular inside LB, could be a perfect fit in a 3-4

Winner

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me greedy, I want them to get Boss AND Zach Miller I really think Belicheat needs his new scheme stolen and with our WRs and RBs we would really have a scary good set of skill players.

I also want Tyson Clabo. Jeremy Trueblood? wasn't he arrested? If he was okay after that I am okay with that too, offense fixed a bit but what about QB?

My unquailfied opinion is they stick with Fitz and get a decent back up. They may think Young is a steal (as do I maybe, I like his play but he has a question thingy) and do that but I really really doubt it (to upsetting to team chemistry to have a QB controversy going on and Young has a big giant question mark painted on his back, albeit partly by his last crazy coach but just the same, there it is).

I think it will be T.T. or Chans other old QB, Croyle. I think that because Chan seems to have a loyalty to past players but honestly I don't see either as fitting this teams schemes very well and do know how enamored Chan is with either of them.

I think that I would rather have Gradkowski in the back up role, I liked seeing him a few times the last few years and think behind a good team he is really a bit Fitz like. Good leader and tough not a giant talent but might win you some close games. With a good team around him he maybe as good as Fitz but not better.

I also think they like next years class a lot and want to see if Fitz does better this year with a better team around him.

Okay Defense. Cullen Jenkins, good vet presence on a young team plus very nice pass rusher(outside pressure), like better than Trevor Pryce but okay with either (feel Pryce is better against the run, maybe but that could also be because of GBs ILBs). I see us doing nothing unless they have a trade idea for Edwards and/or want to replace him.

ILBs resign Poz develop the rookie see who else is emergent from last year and okay for now (not a lot available really anyway IMO).

OLBs Hmmm will they gamble? I hope they get a very good reserve/starter, Kiwanuka although I am not sure that is what he is, would be nice. A good guy who played in a hybred before is James Anderson, I would like to see him as he stout in the run 130 tackles 3.5 sacks last year. Not sure anybody else good is out there.

CB I think they won't address it any more if the resign Flo. Let's hope they can.

Safety, Whitner should stay IMO, Huff is an option (who is a lot like Whitner as a player actually better at coverage IMO but not as good against the run) and probably not looking for the big money that the former #8 is. Did we resign Wilson already? I think we did if not we should.

So in summery what I want:

Boss AND Zach Miller, Tyson Clabo, Gradkowski, Cullen Jenkins,or Trevor Pryce, James Anderson or Kiwanuka

Resign Poz Whitner and Flo

If they do 3 of the FA things (one of the TEs and Clabo especially) and are able to resign Poz and Flo I will be happy (I also hope Whitner is back and we don't end up with a hole there).

I think it would be a cold day in Hell before we go after Clabo. Nix/Gailey have consistently told us that they will build through the draft (or at least acquire young/unknown players cheaply and not rely on big name FA signings). We already have the 3-headed monster of Wrotto, Pears, and Howard. And they just added Hairston via the draft. This gives the Bills 4 different possibilities at right tackle and if they can't develop at least one of them into a decent player, then something is wrong.

On the other hand, just the otherday Nix said that RW has always been generous with the purse and will allow them to spend in FA (it was refreshing to hear). I also think they have been drooling over the FA this year as it is bigger because of last years cluster"f" of a non system. I kind of think they know what they are doing for a change and would be a bit surprised if they just let the opportunity pass by.

My short list:

QB: Tyler Thigpen or Tarvaris Jackson - both mobile QBs with experience that can win a few games if needed

TE: Matt Spaeth - solid blocking TE with good hands; comes from a winning culture in Pittsburgh

OT: Tyson Clabo - nasty RT that is a bona fide starter

DE: Trevor Pryce - veteran 5-tech that can teach Dareus and lead in the locker room, plus he'll come cheap

LB: Kirk Morrison - solid-but-unspectacular inside LB, could be a perfect fit in a 3-4

Love to see Clabo here, not sure the FO will go for him, they sound like they want to stand pat at OT

Wow, I have to admit I never saw Andre Smith on the radar. I checked him out. He sounds like a great prospect for the Bills. Anyone know much about him?

Here's the run down....excellent blocker, special teams ace. Made a name for himself as an offensive weapon his senior year. A bit of an inspiring story as well, here's a link Andre Smith

I had this kid on my radar for a while. He's kinda like Witten, not the fastest guy in the world, but can get open. He's a big kid that may present some match up issues.

I'd put him on my list of UDFA's right next to Nick Bellore, ILB, CMU.

You have sold me on Smith, now if we could just sell the FO on him,lol. A monster mobile guy who can really block, decent hands, intelligent, character, motivated and a hard worker. And affordable too for the FO. Not a lot of downsides and little risk.

I think it would be a cold day in Hell before we go after Clabo. Nix/Gailey have consistently told us that they will build through the draft (or at least acquire young/unknown players cheaply and not rely on big name FA signings). We already have the 3-headed monster of Wrotto, Pears, and Howard. And they just added Hairston via the draft. This gives the Bills 4 different possibilities at right tackle and if they can't develop at least one of them into a decent player, then something is wrong.

Yeah its tough to see them dipping into the free agency pool for a good/starting caliber RT. As much as I want them to I think they are going with Quantity over quality. If someone emerges that plays well its a good move if not well its going to hurt the line.

Really think they won't go after a Tight end either. Although I think that they will sign a few more LB's in free agency.

Call me greedy, I want them to get Boss AND Zach Miller I really think Belicheat needs his new scheme stolen and with our WRs and RBs we would really have a scary good set of skill players.

I also want Tyson Clabo. Jeremy Trueblood? wasn't he arrested? If he was okay after that I am okay with that too, offense fixed a bit but what about QB?

My unquailfied opinion is they stick with Fitz and get a decent back up. They may think Young is a steal (as do I maybe, I like his play but he has a question thingy) and do that but I really really doubt it (to upsetting to team chemistry to have a QB controversy going on and Young has a big giant question mark painted on his back, albeit partly by his last crazy coach but just the same, there it is).

I think it will be T.T. or Chans other old QB, Croyle. I think that because Chan seems to have a loyalty to past players but honestly I don't see either as fitting this teams schemes very well and do know how enamored Chan is with either of them.

I think that I would rather have Gradkowski in the back up role, I liked seeing him a few times the last few years and think behind a good team he is really a bit Fitz like. Good leader and tough not a giant talent but might win you some close games.

I agree with you Bowery when it comes to Gradkowski. He has something to him and he would come cheap. When he was an udfa I wanted us to pick him up. He's not the biggest talent. He's an average talent at best but for some reason I can see him on our team and do decently with Chan coaching him. Perhaps a solid 3rd string. Or a 2nd if things go well under Chan's tutelage. Perhaps i'm wrong about his ceiling. There's just something about him. Also when it comes to Boss and Miller you are not too greedy. Be as greedy as you may be Bowery and I'm sure many of us here will be fine with that. As Gordon Gecko said, Greed is good. If Chan can use a quality tight end then go for one young solid one or two. NE veered away from their strategy using Moss to stretch the field in the way he does. When they drafted their two rookie tight ends the first thought that went thru my head was... oh boy, here comes their new strategy to mix things up. Getting either Boss or Miller would be great for our team. Both would be icing on the cake. But it depends on how much Chan really needs a true TE for his offense.

Edited by Pilsner

Hey Pilsner, How are you doing? A man can dream can't they lol. I really think they will get a TE in FA, this is the year to do it too many decent and good ones out there. I really wasn't surprised they didn't draft one. We will see but IMO it is the plan.

It is kind of sad that so many teams franchised the quality OLBs this year, before the deadline that position also looked better than years past.

If there is a FA and a season we will see what happens but we all have our hope and dreams.

Hey Pilsner, How are you doing? A man can dream can't they lol. I really think they will get a TE in FA, this is the year to do it too many decent and good ones out there. I really wasn't surprised they didn't draft one. We will see but IMO it is the plan.

It is kind of sad that so many teams franchised the quality OLBs this year, before the deadline that position also looked better than years past.

If there is a FA and a season we will see what happens but we all have our hope and dreams.

There is a plan in place. This I believe. The exact details of this plan still evades me. But at least we can rest assured there is a plan in place. It is forming in front of our eyes. When we didn't draft Rudolph, it made me think that we would go hard for a quality young TE in FA. You're right, if there ever is a time to go for a TE in FA this is the year. Boss or Miller. or both! why the hellz not. They are both still young and can grow with our team.

on a side note, i'm doing pretty well Bowery. Went to a local wine festival in town and got my wine drinky on with friends. Great way to chill for a saturday. Great weather, wine, live bands, and friends. Then came home and chilled on the board here :) What better way to spend a saturday? :D How you doing Bowery?

Edited by Pilsner

There is a plan in place. This I believe. The exact details of this plan still evades me. But at least we can rest assured there is a plan in place. It is forming in front of our eyes. When we didn't draft Rudolph, it made me think that we would go hard for a quality young TE in FA. You're right, if there ever is a time to go for a TE in FA this is the year. Boss or Miller. or both! why the hellz not. They are both still young and can grow with our team.

on a side note, i'm doing pretty well Bowery. Went to a local wine festival in town and got my wine drinky on with friends. Great way to chill for a saturday. Great weather, wine, live bands, and friends. Then came home and chilled on the board here :) What better way to spend a saturday? :D How you doing Bowery? (I hit on a cute chick at the festival but then found out she had a bf so ya that had minimal potential) lol so nothing new with that.

I was excited when Rudolph was there in the draft. Sad we did not take him. But he was not a monster blocker. Considering we will have a "serviceable" QB or a "developing" QB for a few years, we do need a TE with good hands for relief passes to help out the QB under stress. And if he is a monster blocker first, I don't care what your offensive scheme is, he fits. We need an decent offense for a quality QB to develop (and survive). Until we have one, the talent will be wasted or put in jeopardy of ever developing. Short of us getting "LUCKy", that is the reality. And I don't want to even think what would have to happen this year for us to get "LUCKy" next year. Hope we get a young undrafted TE to try and develop, and one of the ones you mentioned to get better right now to avoid getting "LUCKy" next year

I do think we will go after a TE in FA. Today's TEs are key components of the running game. That's why they call them H-backs or powerbacks. They're kind of a cross between a fullback and a TE. It's why fullbacks are rarely used any more. Gailey does use TEs in his offensive schemes and primarily as an H-back. It is definitely a priority if they want to get CJ Spiller rolling. If he can catch too, well that's just an added bonus. We will find one and we will find a QB to backup Fitz too. Beyond that, it all depends on how things play out.