Whitner rated by ESPN experts as #7 overall saftey in NFL

pmak

What are everyone's thoughts on the newest positional power ranking by ESPN?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/27282/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-safeties

1. Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens

3. Nick Collins, Green Bay Packers

4. Adrian Wilson, Arizona Cardinals

5. Eric Berry, Kansas City Chiefs

6. Michael Griffin, Tennessee Titans

7. Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills

8. B. Meriweather, New England Patriots

9. Antrel Rolle, New York Giants

10. LaRon Landry, Washington Redskins

10. Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts

I think this hurts the Bills' chances of resigning Whitner. This will only inflate his ego and make him less likely to decrease his salary demands if he thinks people view him in this light. As much as I think he is overrated, he is still a serviceable safety and Searcy is an unknown quantity if he was drafted as his replacement.

They obviously didn't see Whitner falling on his a$$ trying to cover Brandon Marshall in the opener. Or any other defensive play he was on the last few years. Honestly, I think these guys are getting lazy and pulling names out of a hat. It was easy to decide where Reed and Polamalu should go, after that, mostly a crapshoot.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

every year we seem to miss keeping better players, be it Winfield, Clements, Peters, Jennings, McGahee, Schobel etc and on and on. Somewhere along this line we had better expect to not only draft good players,but have a strategy for keeping them. It isn't good enough that at the end we think they "don't want to" stay with the Bills. This is a real problem.

I agree and you can add London Fletcher, and Pat Williams to that list. Two guys people had issue with...some dinged Fletcher for not being an "attacking" LB...which I believe was more a result of not having the horses in front of him to eat blocks up. He was a solid player and we only replaced him with another ILB that is only as good as the linemen in front of him. Others dinged Williams saying he wasn't worth the money because had to rotate...look at how he's anchored Minnesota's DL with Kevin Williams.

youtube.com/watch?v=GdvLJerARxE

hmmm

Hmmm what? What does this play prove? I am 6'4" and 270 and if Marshall hit me just like that he would have lit me up as well. Marshall is no small man and built like a rock. I mean how is this any indication of Whitners ability as a safety? Florence released Marshall to pursue to his right leaving Marshall in perfect position to blind side a pursuing Whitner.

Whitner has holes in his game, but plays like this don't illustrate them.

Hmmm what? What does this play prove? I am 6'4" and 270 and if Marshall hit me just like that he would have lit me up as well. Marshall is no small man and built like a rock. I mean how is this any indication of Whitners ability as a safety? Florence released Marshall to pursue to his right leaving Marshall in perfect position to blind side a pursuing Whitner.

Whitner has holes in his game, but plays like this don't illustrate them.

You are right, but why hang onto hope of Whitner being a very good player? He isn't, and he has had 5 years to prove that he isn't. This particular play wasn't an isolated incident. Does Sammy Morris ring a bell? That is not to mention getting smoked by tight ends. Whitner was a disaster for this team from day 1.

C'mon man. Sometimes it really is better to let go. :thumbsup:

I agree and you can add London Fletcher, and Pat Williams to that list. Two guys people had issue with...some dinged Fletcher for not being an "attacking" LB...which I believe was more a result of not having the horses in front of him to eat blocks up. He was a solid player and we only replaced him with another ILB that is only as good as the linemen in front of him. Others dinged Williams saying he wasn't worth the money because had to rotate...look at how he's anchored Minnesota's DL with Kevin Williams.

Heck come to think about it Add Sam Cowart to that list... at the time i could argue he was a top 2-3 insider linebacker

C'mon man. Sometimes it really is better to let go. :thumbsup:

Totally agree with this statement...Some of the Whitner bashing gets out of hand around here, and I'm one of the biggest culprits for sure...But sometimes it is best for both parties to simply and politely part ways...Whitner may land somewhere and become the Pro Bowl Player he thinks he is...But the Donte Whitner wound runs REAL deep in Buffalo, and it is about more than just his play on Sundays...I'll admit as much...I would be more than happy to simply say good bye and wish him the best of luck...But when I hear Folks defending his play it does rile me up a bit...It riles up a good portion of the Bills Fan base as well I imagine...And that's exactly why it is just better to let go...Especially considering the amount of Cap cash we're talking about in this case... B-)

While I have to agree that wehave to keep talented players as much as possible, my understanding is that Donte wants something along the lines of 8.5 million/yr and we we olny willing to come up to 7.2 (or somthing like that).

While I have to agree that wehave to keep talented players as much as possible, my understanding is that Donte wants something along the lines of 8.5 million/yr and we we olny willing to come up to 7.2 (or somthing like that).

If The Bills are willing to pay Whitner that kind of money it would pretty much destroy any faith I have in this regime's ability to make quality decisions...Especially when you look at the UFA Safeties who figure to be available when Free Agency finally starts...It would be a mistake of monster proportions to pay Whitner anywhere near the average of his old Contract, let alone give him a raise... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS