New England Could have Drafted a Clip Board Holder

McShay couldn't have been more glowing in his praise of Buffalo after Day 2 of the draft and Pat Kirwan also heaped a lot of praise on the Bills.

What more do you want?

Immediate post draft analysis is for the talk radio and msg board audience.

How can one grade a draft before a down has been played. We wont know what we have for a while.

Part of any player's development is coaching and opportunity in a system.

Immediate post draft analysis is for the talk radio and msg board audience.

How can one grade a draft before a down has been played. We wont know what we have for a while.

Part of any player's development is coaching and opportunity in a system.

Exactly. So what if some talking head likes the Pat's draft. The most hated of all Patriots, Teddy Bruschi, praised the Bills selection of Sheppard.

whats the point of getting additional picks if they are not hitting on the ones they actually use?

besides the two TE's they drafted last year how good have the Pats drafts actually been lately?

their offensive line hasnt been good and for a team playing a 3-4 they dont get a lot of sacks from their OLB's

i am just not as impressed with what they do during the draft every year as most are

I watched NFL network most of the time. I believe what the poster is talking about is the draft "expert" was raving how great of a pick the running back was for New England, just before the Mallatt pick, and someone asked him I thought you had that RB rated in the 5th round? Then he said yes but that was before Iknew he was going to NE. The have made many good decisions. But shouldnt each pich be judged on its own merit and not deemed an excellant just because a certain team picks them?

They hit on McCourty as well last year and Mayo and Vollmer in recent years, but before that their last few drafts were pretty bad, actually. While I hate the Pats*, I think the Mallett pick was a smart one, if for no other reason than they will now have a competent backup for the next few years....

The Mallet pick is more of a boon for him than it is for New England, IMO.

Their system, which caters to statuesque QB's (Bledsoe, turned Brady) is perfect for him. So if and when he thrives in it, we'll be hearing a **** ton of "I told you so's" when it comes to Mallet, even though it's a total apples to oranges comparison with what Chan expects from/coaches his QB's to play.

But, at the end of the day, Mallet needs New England more than New England needs Mallet. If he's the scumbag some of us believe him to be, then the universe will unfold, as it always does, just as it's meant to.

If he becomes a super star, he LIKE BRADY, will have the SYSTEM to thank more than anything else. I've been saying it about Brady for years, and I get flamed, hard. But to this day, I've still never seen Brady win games by himself, by being a playmaker, escaping blitzes, throwing on the run, succeeding IN SPITE of others' mistakes. You want to beat Tom Brady, you pressure him. It's really not that complicated.

whats the point of getting additional picks if they are not hitting on the ones they actually use?

besides the two TE's they drafted last year how good have the Pats drafts actually been lately?

their offensive line hasnt been good and for a team playing a 3-4 they dont get a lot of sacks from their OLB's

i am just not as impressed with what they do during the draft every year as most are

lol....4 of their last 5 first round picks made the Pro Bowl.....they have averaged 12 wins a season for last 7 years......i'd say they've been drafting pretty good.

lol....4 of their last 5 first round picks made the Pro Bowl.....they have averaged 12 wins a season for last 7 years......i'd say they've been drafting pretty good.

i think they used to draft well until they started caring more about accumulating picks then actually using them...i do like Mayo though

2001 Richard Seymour DT Georgia - good pick

2002 Daniel Graham TE Colorado [29] - wouldnt call him a bust but certainly wouldnt say they hit on this pick

2003 Ty Warren DT Texas A&M [30] - good pick

2004 Vince Wilfork DT Miami (FL) - good pick

& Benjamin Watson TE Georgia - miss

2005 32 Logan Mankins OG Fresno State - good pick

2006 21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota - miss

2007 24 Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL) - probably call him a miss

2008 10 Jerod Mayo LB Tennessee - good pick

2009 No first-round draft pick

2010 27 Devin McCourty CB Rutgers - too early to tell but obviously were not happy with him

what am i missing here? i bet if we look at the rest of their picks we will see a lot of the same...the point is for all the moving around they do they are not the geniuses they are proclaimed to be by a lot of people

they are a well coached team with one of the best QBs in the game, big reasons why they put up double digit wins every year but there are glaring holes on their team that they could have filled if they didnt care more about getting more picks

Edited by Max997

Point is ....it seems like no matter who or what position they draft...everyone acts like they are soo in awe

That's what happens when you're team is among the elite the last 8 or so years. They've earned their respect and are clearly among the best drafters in the NFL. I hate the Patriots as much as anybody else in here, but you have to give them props.

They hit on McCourty as well last year and Mayo and Vollmer in recent years, but before that their last few drafts were pretty bad, actually. While I hate the Pats*, I think the Mallett pick was a smart one, if for no other reason than they will now have a competent backup for the next few years....

Like when they picked this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_O%27Connell_%28American_football%29

Pre-draft

Just prior to being drafted, San Diego sports writer Nick Canepa described O'Connell as having:

“ all the equipment needed to fit in the modern NFL quarterback toolbox. He's 6-feet-6 and weighs 235 pounds. As Don Coryell often said, 'he runs like a deer.' He has plenty of arm. He's smart. He comes from a great background. He has a wonderful personality. He's a leader.

In the 2nd or 3rd

And NFL expert would say how smart and good the pick was....tired of hearing about the Pats

They're not as perfect as they used to be, the "experts" are begining to see it. I heard something like "where's the pash rush going to come from" and acquiring all those picks are great but you have to use them someday.

Hell, even Peter King bash ed them and he thinks the Pats* are the second coming.

Soon it'll be all over for them!

They're not as perfect as they used to be, the "experts" are begining to see it. I heard something like "where's the pash rush going to come from" and acquiring all those picks are great but you have to use them someday.

Hell, even Peter King bash ed them and he thinks the Pats* are the second coming.

Soon it'll be all over for them!

When they lose Brady it is over