nfl channel seems to think Peterson for the Bills

Lombardi, Dukes et al, seemed to indicate that the Bills were considering Peterson if Dareus weren't there at 3. I'm still in favor of a Dareus or Von Miller pick, but I guess if Peterson is a Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Peyton Manning, Deion Sanders kind of player he might be worth going after. I just can't imagine he's that kind of player.

Lombardi, Dukes et al, seemed to indicate that the Bills were considering Peterson if Dareus weren't there at 3. I'm still in favor of a Dareus or Von Miller pick, but I guess if Peterson is a Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Peyton Manning, Deion Sanders kind of player he might be worth going after. I just can't imagine he's that kind of player.

Peterson is a god pick if Dareus is gone, lockdown on the corner and put more men in the box; so not so bad.

I still think you build from the inside and go from there. With a stellar D-lineman, you have support for both the run and pass. A shutdown corner doesn't contribute much on runs up the middle or off tackle. This has been the Bills achilles heal - their inability to stop the run. Why would opposing offenses want to pass when they can run all over the Bills and eat up the clock, keeping the Bills offense off the field. If the Bills go with a corner, I'll think Jauron is still lurking in the warroom doing a Cyrano de Bergerac act with Nix & Co.

When there's pressure on the QB and they don't have time for a designed pass play to develop, the D-backs suddenly look like stars.

With no pressure, give a QB plenty of time to checkoff, and eventually they'll find somebody open no matter how good the corner is. Think back to the last several seasons when Brady, Sanchez, et al, just stood there playing catch. It's a whole different game when they're running for their lives and a D-lineman is creating havoc.

When you have a disruptive force on the D line that requires double teaming, the rest of the D line becomes mroe effectve.

Bang for the buck you go D-line or at least somewhere in the front 7.

Edited by DML2005

I still think you build from the inside and go from there. With a stellar D-lineman, you have support for both the run and pass. A shutdown corner doesn't contribute much on runs up the middle or off tackle. This has been the Bills achilles heal - their inability to stop the run. Why would opposing offenses want to pass when they can run all over the Bills and eat up the clock, keeping the Bills offense off the field. If the Bills go with a corner, I'll think Jauron is still lurking in the warroom doing a Cyrano de Bergerac act with Nix & Co.

When there's pressure on the QB and they don't have time for a designed pass play to develop, the D-backs suddenly look like stars.

With no pressure, give a QB plenty of time to checkoff, and eventually they'll find somebody open no matter how good the corner is. Think back to the last several seasons when Brady, Sanchez, et al, just stood there playing catch. It's a whole different game when they're running for their lives and a D-lineman is creating havoc.

When you have a disruptive force on the D line that requires double teaming, the rest of the D line becomes mroe effectve.

I agree with you and particularly with your reasoning. I would hope its Dareus or Miller or a trade down. If it can't be either, I'd hate to see us stretching and turning a 3 pick into a 9 pick, and would rather take a Peterson, although everything else should go toward strengthening the front 7.

I'm hoping the Bills let this information slip to entice a team to trade up w/ Denver for Peterson. That would assure them of getting Von Miller. I was not a fan of Miller earlier mainly thanks to the complete bust Maybin turned out to be. Every scout seems to love Miller they can't all be wrong.

If Buddy passes on Newton or Gabbert, then Patrick Peterson would be a terrific choice at #3 in my humble opinion. Look at what Revis did for the Jets before his injury! A lock down corner can be a game changer, and he can allow the D to do riskier things blitz-wise. And obviously, the Bills don't have a true lock down corner on the roster now, so I say yes to that possibility. Although I still hope it's Newton or Gabbert, of course!

There is nothing to indicate that the Bills would not be this stupid. Nothing whatsoever. Dick Levy is gone, but the fact that the new regime wasted a pick on Spiller does linger.

We are a tiny little weak team that pays in the wind, cold and snow, and so do our main opponents. The next few days are a chance for us to turn around the unexplainable stupidity of picks such as Whitner, McKelvin, Lynch, Maybin, and other flops. We can make this team strong, one our opponents will be forced to respect.

You and I are not young, but we are obviously in this for life. If the stupidity continues, the franchise will be in serious jeopardy.

My hope is that they go in a different, sane direction right now. Peterson? I would rather draft a guard at #3, and I am 100% serious.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

The NFL Network has to float stuff out there like this to build some drama for tonight. If all the analysts agreed that the top 4 picks at least are etched in stone (Newton,Dareus,Miller, then Green) it would be like saying the Draft starts at 8 but you really don't have to tune in until 8:40.

Edited by Kingfish

There is nothing to indicate that the Bills would not be this stupid. Nothing whatsoever. Dick Levy is gone, but the fact that the new regime wasted a pick on Spiller does linger.

We are a tiny little weak team that pays in the wind, cold and snow, and so do our main opponents. The next few days are a chance for us to turn around the unexplainable stupidity of picks such as Whitner, McKelvin, Lynch, Maybin, and other flops. We can make this team strong, one our opponents will be forced to respect.

You and I are not young, but we are obviously in this for life. If the stupidity continues, the franchise will be in serious jeopardy.

My hope is that they go in a different, sane direction right now. Peterson? I would rather draft a guard at #3, and I am 100% serious.

Just yesterday you seemed to like Peterson and now this?

Taking the best player in the draft is not stupid.

You point out that you are a long time life long fan which is admirable. The drawback to this is that you may think of football in yesterday's terms. Today's NFL is about speed and agility, not simply size. Think of it this way: those little rovers they put on Mars sent back tons of valuable information to Earth. They were built to be nimble and used innovative engineering ideas. They also built a device that scooped up pieces of a comet and brought it back to Earth furthering science even more. These things are like cornerbacks. They are small and you barely know they are there, but they are valuable. Contrast this with the Apollo missions which are like lineman. Of course the Apollo missions were ground breaking in their time and should be admired forever, but what really happened? We had a lumbering, clunky ship that only got to our next door cosmic neighbor and all we got was a bunch of rocks and some dude got to hit a golf ball further than Tiger Woods. Big whoop. I'll take the corner. So will Bill Parcells.

Just yesterday you seemed to like Peterson and now this?

Taking the best player in the draft is not stupid.

You point out that you are a long time life long fan which is admirable. The drawback to this is that you may think of football in yesterday's terms. Today's NFL is about speed and agility, not simply size. Think of it this way: those little rovers they put on Mars sent back tons of valuable information to Earth. They were built to be nimble and used innovative engineering ideas. They also built a device that scooped up pieces of a comet and brought it back to Earth furthering science even more. These things are like cornerbacks. They are small and you barely know they are there, but they are valuable. Contrast this with the Apollo missions which are like lineman. Of course the Apollo missions were ground breaking in their time and should be admired forever, but what really happened? We had a lumbering, clunky ship that only got to our next door cosmic neighbor and all we got was a bunch of rocks and some dude got to hit a golf ball further than Tiger Woods. Big whoop. I'll take the corner. So will Bill Parcells.

You really are funny!!! :D It's good to see that you are also using some of hogboy's style. Yes it is, but as good as you are, he is the master!

Enjoy the draft! :thumbsup:

I watched that whole sequence twice...Here's how it went...

The Reporter (who I've never seen before on NFL Network and BELIEVE me when I tell you that means something because My TV is on NFL Network 90% of the time it is on and I NEVER, ever, ever, miss Total Access) said it looked like Miller could be gone, and IF so The Bills would be looking at Dareus and Peterson...Then he went on to speculate that Peterson would be the Pick because of what he could do for the Defense...It was complete speculation...Then they throw it back to the the Studio and I think Lombardi even says something like "I did not have Peterson on The Bills radar but sure that would be a good Pick" and so on...There was ZERO inside information behind that conversation...Not that Peterson won't be considered by The Bills because I'm sure he will...But there was not even really a rumor from what I could tell...I could be wrong though...But it seemed like it was a reporters speculation based on what HE thought the Bills Defensive Needs were... B-)

I watched that whole sequence twice...Here's how it went...

The Reporter (who I've never seen before on NFL Network and BELIEVE me when I tell you that means something because My TV is on NFL Network 90% of the time it is on and I NEVER, ever, ever, miss Total Access) said it looked like Miller could be gone, and IF so The Bills would be looking at Dareus and Peterson...

His name is Ari Wolf.

Who the hell is Ari Wolf?

Defensive back don't win games. Didn't we learn anything during the Jauron era? If the Bills take another CB with so many gaping holes on their team I'm going to :sick:

You are confusing taking a CB in the generic sense instead of taking the right CB. No position single handedly wins games, although it can be the reason you lose.

You know how lame picking a conerback is? In the 1987 draft we passed on Rod Woodson to take Shane Conlan. Woodson was selected to the 50th Anniversary All-NFL team and is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Has anyone on this board EVER, EVER lamented passing on Woodson? Would Woodson have made the difference in winning a SuperBowl in the early 90's? No and No! You don't pick a conerback with the no. 3 pick. You just don't.

You know how lame picking a conerback is? In the 1987 draft we passed on Rod Woodson to take Shane Conlan. Woodson was selected to the 50th Anniversary All-NFL team and is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Has anyone on this board EVER, EVER lamented passing on Woodson? Would Woodson have made the difference in winning a SuperBowl in the early 90's? No and No! You don't pick a conerback with the no. 3 pick. You just don't.

So we should take an average guy if one of the best players of all time is available? Good one.

You make good points. But do you recall Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson? Those guys were shutdown corners. QB's could rarely throw on them. That gives DL and LB's more time to get to the QB. Peterson has that type of potential. Also, I agree the Bills need more on the DL. BUT there is a deep well of D-linemen in this draft. There will be several available at pick #34. So why not take the player that is not as easily found? There is only one Peterson and one Miller in this draft. Dareus is good, but Heyward or Ballard or Clayborn could be good too and one of them will be there at 34.

You make good points. But do you recall Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson? Those guys were shutdown corners. QB's could rarely throw on them. That gives DL and LB's more time to get to the QB. Peterson has that type of potential. Also, I agree the Bills need more on the DL. BUT there is a deep well of D-linemen in this draft. There will be several available at pick #34. So why not take the player that is not as easily found? There is only one Peterson and one Miller in this draft. Dareus is good, but Heyward or Ballard or Clayborn could be good too and one of them will be there at 34.

What good is a cornerback going to do when teams don't have to pass the ball on us?

If he is a Peyton Manning then I would take him. But he's only a CB. Even if he is the next Sanders, how many guys can he cover in a game. How many WRs can he "shut down" at a time?

It would be a monumentally stupid move to take a CB at #3.

Well, I don't know how anyone could argue the Bills taking Peterson. Look at the Bills depth chart. Anyone comfortable with McKelvin and McGee? When was the last time either played a full season? McGee is breaking down physically and McKelvin gets toasted way too many times and seems to always make a bonehead play at the wrong time.

Here is how I look at it:

There are 4 consensus Blue Chip players in this year's draft in Dareus, Miller, Peterson, and Green. If the scenario unfolds where Carolina passes on Newton and decides to take Dareus/Miller and Denver takes the other, then that means that the Bills will be have to choose between Peterson and Green (provided that they do not believe that either Newton or Gabbert is a franchise QB). In that scenario, I would HOPE that they go Peterson over Green.

Edited by 2003Contenders

If he is a Peyton Manning then I would take him. But he's only a CB. Even if he is the next Sanders, how many guys can he cover in a game. How many WRs can he "shut down" at a time?

It would be a monumentally stupid move to take a CB at #3.

I will take Peterson or Von Miller, but I have to say that a CB like Peterson could help like Revis for the Jets. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that, or have they? If Peterson can close down one half of the field, We have McGee (injured frequently) and Leodis plus a few other good CBs. The longer it takes a QB to find a receiver, the better chance we have at knocking him down or turning it over. On ESPN's sport science, they demonstrated that Peterson can react fast enough to get to any pass within 15 feet of him! That should work great in man or zone coverage!

I will take Peterson or Von Miller, but I have to say that a CB like Peterson could help like Revis for the Jets. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that, or have they? If Peterson can close down one half of the field, We have McGee (injured frequently) and Leodis plus a few other good CBs. The longer it takes a QB to find a receiver, the better chance we have at knocking him down or turning it over. On ESPN's sport science, they demonstrated that Peterson can react fast enough to get to any pass within 15 feet of him! That should work great in man or zone coverage!

Revis had a lot of "help" from his teammates on Defense. Peterson won't. One man can't close down half the field. In today's offense, everyone is a receiver.

Check out Dareus on sports science. He tossed a 160lb man 9 feet (up) in the air from 1 step away-and 12 feet back!

Revis is also Revis because the Jets force teams into 3rd and long by being the number 1 defense against the run. I'm sure Peterson is a great CB BUT I will still throw things around my living room if they don't take Dareus. I can understand possibly Gabbert if they think he is going to be great but no CB for a defense that can't stop the run. Make the safe pick and take Dareus. It seems the Draft Room just likes to be quirky.

I love your posts, Bill...I really do. Not because I necessarily agree, but because you are one of the most consistent individuals on this board. I think I could write your posts for you. ;):thumbsup:

You had me right up until you said in no uncertain terms that Woodson would not have made the difference in winning a Super Bowl in the early 90's. To say that Rod Woodson would not have made ANY difference is absurd. I am not claiming that we would have won a SB with him, but to claim an absolute non-influence in the outcome is unreal to me. We've drafted the WRONG DBs in the first round the last few years, but if Revis was one of those guys, I think that you would change your tune.

You had me right up until you said in no uncertain terms that Woodson would not have made the difference in winning a Super Bowl in the early 90's. To say that Rod Woodson would not have made ANY difference is absurd. I am not claiming that we would have won a SB with him, but to claim an absolute non-influence in the outcome is unreal to me. We've drafted the WRONG DBs in the first round the last few years, but if Revis was one of those guys, I think that you would change your tune.

The Raiders have had one the best, if not the best, CB in the league for a few years. What good does it do them? Their passing defense is "ranked" number 2--right ahead of the Bills (yet only 4 teams gave up more passing TDs than Oak)! 7 of the top 10 "pass defense teams" didn't make the playoffs.

For a bad team, CB is not enough of an impact position to warrent a 1st round pick.

What good is a cornerback going to do when teams don't have to pass the ball on us?

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

Thank you.

Now, would you please help explain this to the readers here who advocate the CB pick. It just doesn' make any sense when there are so many weak spots in the front 7. As a reminder to those amnesiatic CB proponents reading this - the last time the Bills even sniffed the playoffs was when they had top rated defenses. Now, what did those top defenses have that was lacking so glaringly with recent editions? Wide bodies in the middle stuffing the run (Sam Adams, big Pat, Washington) and speed and penetration from the outside. When the QB is getting pressured, it's a lot harder to get long pass plays develop. At the very least, pressure from D-linemen will frequently cause turnovers.

If opposing offenses are forced to throw dink and dunk stuff to counter the mad pass rush, why the hell does a team need to spend premium dollars on another Deion Sanders for 10 yard pass plays?

As I said eariler, someone on the front 7 is likly going to be a catalyst and factor on every defensive play. Half the time, all a corner is doing is effortlessly getting cleared out of the play by a decoy wideout sprinting downfield.

It's gotta be a DE or LB. Gotta be. IF they go DT, they must either think Troup isn't gonna fill the bill or that K Wiliams will work on the end.

I think they're order of preference is V Miller, Dareus, Quinn or Jordan. My suprise pick is Robert Quinn. I think he'll be a good one.

Fairly will be a huge bust. Mark my words.

The Raiders have had one the best, if not the best, CB in the league for a few years. What good does it do them? Their passing defense is "ranked" number 2--right ahead of the Bills (yet only 4 teams gave up more passing TDs than Oak)! 7 of the top 10 "pass defense teams" didn't make the playoffs.

For a bad team, CB is not enough of an impact position to warrent a 1st round pick.

You clearly have never built a great team in any capacity before. You keep adding talent and weeding out the weak at all times. We all agree on this. Your stuck in short term projections of these players and use the failure at drafting and free agency of the Raiders organization as the premise to not take a shutdown corner. The foundation of how I assemble teams is based on this one question that I ask myself. I create a mental image of my specific expectations for the manpower. Will this man add something to a GREAT team. I know that a man cannot replace 2 or more people. In my mind I already have a great team. Is this guy going to make a great team better. Your perspective is limited to, how will this one player make a bad team better. If you can't recognize the fundamental difference in this critical perspective on team building and long term projections then I suggest that you reflect on this. You are using a flawed set of variables to derive your conclusions. We have all witnessed the offseason moves of the Raiders, using that track record of wasting picks, money, and getting the wrong QB a few years ago is a poor argument against Asomugha. Put him on any of the playoff teams and then argue that he would not make them better.