IMF says China to be #1 in five years

Imagine that, a country with 2 billion people having an economy that is larger than the one with 300 million people.

Shocked, I tell you. Shocked.

1.3 -1.4 billion maybe 1.6 - 1.7 billion in 2016

everyone knew China was going to catch up - before the Cheney Administration the estimates were 2070-2100, by the end of the Cheney Administration the estimates were 2020-2030 now 2016.

1.3 -1.4 billion maybe 1.6 - 1.7 billion in 2016

everyone knew China was going to catch up - before the Cheney Administration the estimates were 2070-2100, by the end of the Cheney Administration the estimates were 2020-2030 now 2016.

Amazing what happens when you forget communism & embrace capitalism. Doesn't take a Norman Einstein to do the math of what happens when you compare 10% economic growth to sub 2% economic growth.

God forbid that Chinese citizens should benefit from a rise in their standard of living.

Amazing what happens when you forget communism & embrace capitalism. Doesn't take a Norman Einstein to do the math of what happens when you compare 10% economic growth to sub 2% economic growth.

God forbid that Chinese citizens should benefit from a rise in their standard of living.

What it shows is there is not just one successful type of capitalism- and quit being so smug I've been hearing for 20 years that China's state directed capitalism can't sustain it's 10+% growth rate- and you know one day one of you neo-liberal economist will say it and be right maybe 2030- I knew 20 years ago we were in trouble because China's run by engineers and scientists for national interests- and we are run by lawyers and economists for corporate interests.

What it shows is there is not just one successful type of capitalism- and quit being so smug I've been hearing for 20 years that China's state directed capitalism can't sustain it's 10+% growth rate- and you know one day one of you neo-liberal economist will say it and be right maybe 2030- I knew 20 years ago we were in trouble because China's run by engineers and scientists for national interests- and we are run by lawyers and economists for corporate interests.

Not smug at all. China's is picking the low hanging fruit. When you have so many people rising from extreme poverty into developed world standards, the economy will boom for a generation. The trick is to take it to the next level, and at least there even Arends admits the challenge, although he scoffs it off. But, without opening up the legal, political and personal freedoms, the Chinese technocrats will only excel at making things that someone else create and will not capture the maximum value out of products they make.

I think the Manchurian coronation is a bit premature.

China is also aggressively building nuclear power plants to produce the energy they need while we ban them in favor of hippie pipe dreams like !@#$ing wind mills.

China is also aggressively building nuclear power plants to produce the energy they need while we ban them in favor of hippie pipe dreams like !@#$ing wind mills.

I'm an advocate of nuclear power, specifically liquid fluoride thorium reactors and Accelerator Driven Subcritical Reactors. Wind turbines also have there place but only at spots where conditions warrant.

I'm an advocate of nuclear power, specifically liquid fluoride thorium reactors and Accelerator Driven Subcritical Reactors. Wind turbines also have there place but only at spots where conditions warrant.

Based on the science degree you earned from the Discovery Channel, no doubt.

You'll have to deal with the PETA types. They have large wind farms near me (Altamont Pass east of SF Bay). The animal people are trying to close them down because some birds are stupid and get killed by the blades.

Based on the science degree you earned from the Discovery Channel, no doubt.

I'm going to fire my laser wakefield plasma accelerator at your head, because I think your head would make an excellent spallation neutron source target, and if it isn't, well at least I get to fire a laser wakefield plasma accelerator at your head. BTW the reason your wife looks at you with such contempt is that while your noggin is swelled and your ankle is swollen nothing swells in between, you impotent nancy boy.