Buddy live online at noon (PFT)

It's gotta be Dareus or Miller, listening to him talk. I know all this bull **** about smokescreens, but I can't imagine the Bills don't go defense at this point. He's going around saying Fitz is the guy and saying the defense is thin. The top end of the draft is very heavy in talented defenders. I can't fathom they go elsewhere.

It's gotta be Dareus or Miller, listening to him talk. I know all this bull **** about smokescreens, but I can't imagine the Bills don't go defense at this point. He's going around saying Fitz is the guy and saying the defense is thin. The top end of the draft is very heavy in talented defenders. I can't fathom they go elsewhere.

Agreed. He talked about how we don't have a consistent pass rush, and we need to get much better at rushing the passer consistently, etc. It's gotta be one of those two

But he was also talking about QB's, and how "if your guy is there, you have to go with him." Pretty much, the entire segment, nothing new was revealed, and we have no clue which way they're going.

Touche, Buddy...touche...

I dunno, he seemed very enthused about the prospect of winning with Fitz while grooming a guy on the bench. I think at least 1 of the QBs is #1 on their board. What I have no idea on is whether both of them are above Miller or Dareus, and which QB they like better. If I had to guess, I'd say Newton is tops on their board, but who knows?

Disagree. This is like buying a brand new vehicle, its loses 5k as soon as it leaves the lot. Itd be nearly impossible to get a #3 worth for this guy if he doesnt work out.

100% correct.

I dunno, he seemed very enthused about the prospect of winning with Fitz while grooming a guy on the bench. I think at least 1 of the QBs is #1 on their board. What I have no idea on is whether both of them are above Miller or Dareus, and which QB they like better. If I had to guess, I'd say Newton is tops on their board, but who knows?

Nah. I'm not saying I have some insight into Buddy's thinking, but it was his FO who picked Brees in the early second round. Plus, I think Nix is fairly practical and simplistic (in a good way) when it comes to drafting. And honestly, as far as the 1st round pick is concerned, I think Nix is almost ALWAYS going to take the best player available. And at this point, that will likely be Miller or Dareus, not Gabbert, not AJ Green and not Patrick Peterson. I think he is a Dalton, Kapernick guy, who probably doesn't see a huge amount of differential in skill sets between Gabbert and those other two QBs.

I'm not saying Nix is easy to read, but he isn't Bill Belichick either.

So very true.

Our selection?

Dareus. Write it down.......use pencil. ;)

Better yet - use chalk.

To be honest though, I'm not sure Buddy will stick to the philosophy of strictly taking the best player available. He talks about having the (hopefully) rare opportunity to take someone high at #3, and how it's the perfect time to take a QB - especially if you have someone that's serviceable like Fitz.

I'm personally hoping for Gabbert here... in chalk.

Better yet - use chalk.

To be honest though, I'm not sure Buddy will stick to the philosophy of strictly taking the best player available. He talks about having the (hopefully) rare opportunity to take someone high at #3, and how it's the perfect time to take a QB - especially if you have someone that's serviceable like Fitz.

I'm personally hoping for Gabbert here... in chalk.

I think they think Fitz is at least serviceable. IMO, I'd be surprised they go QB at #3. Thereafter, I wouldn't be surprised.

That means AJ Green

:)

I think if they grab a QB, they are going to grab one in rounds 2 or 3.

Exactly

(w/ minor tweak)

Edited by dgrid

Again, it 100% depends on how they grade Newton and Gabbert. If they grade either as a Franchise QB and either are available at 3 they will take them REGARDLESS of any other needs or how they feel about Fitz. This is the NFL and when there is a chance to get a franchise QB you take it. That's not an opinion, that's just a fact.

The question, that no one but OBD can answer, is whether or not they have either of those two guys graded as a Franchise type QB. If they don't think either is a franchise guy, well then the odds are it'll be defense and maybe they'll take a flier on a QB in round 2 or 3 -- though I'd prefer them to avoid taking a QB entirely if they don't take one at 3. Because honestly, if they do that they're admitting that whoever they take isn't a franchise type guy. And we've had too many of those lately.

We will find out exactly how the Bills feel about Gabbert (and possibly Newton) in a week.

Edited by tgreg99

Again, it 100% depends on how they grade Newton and Gabbert. If they grade either as a Franchise QB and either are available at 3 they will take them REGARDLESS of any other needs or how they feel about Fitz. This is the NFL and when there is a chance to get a franchise QB you take it. That's not an opinion, that's just a fact.

The question, that no one but OBD can answer, is whether or not they have either of those two guys graded as a Franchise type QB. If they don't think either is a franchise guy, well then the odds are it'll be defense and maybe they'll take a flier on a QB in round 2 or 3 -- though I'd prefer them to avoid taking a QB entirely if they don't take one at 3. Because honestly, if they do that they're admitting that whoever they take isn't a franchise type guy. And we've had too many of those lately.

We will find out exactly how the Bills feel about Gabbert (and possibly Newton) in a week.

I agree with you 100%. If they do not see a franchise QB in this draft, why bother investing even a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a guy who is unlikely to ever be any better than Fitz? Considering that Levi is the only other QB on the roster, I believe that they do need a backup. Of course, they can probably address that in free agency. Otherwise, I would be OK with them taking a heady/polished/career-backup type (like McElroy) in the last couple of rounds. That's what the Pats thought they were doing when they selected Brady in the 6th round back in 2000.

but is it possible that

A) the Bills really do believe in Fitz

B) they feel they need a solid #2 QB and one to groom over time for #1, which they can get at #34 pick?

if this was tru, they can take their pick at an early-impact D player w/ #3 pick

While I agree in large part, you must leave room for the notion that perhaps.....perhaps......their franchise QB could be had in round 2.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......and when slotted properly could be a beautiful thing.