Anybody watching these Gruden QB camp things?

Saw the two last night. Mallett is really weird. The guy looks as sharp as a bag of doorknobs sitting and small talking, but when Gruden asks him to diagram a play, he goes to the white board and looks like Einstein. You could see Gailey really doing something with him, because Petrino taught him a lot and he seems to at least have the ability to learn football. The guy seems to need a better support system off the field to keep him from doing stupid stuff.

Andy Dalton looks like the real deal too. Very smart, great leadership, and goes for the jugular.

I can see where Cam comes off as a phoney. I really don't know if he is or not. Had very simple play calling at Auburn, and is not really ready for the NFL under center game. Certainly would have a lot of trouble with a complex Gailey type of system. He does seem like a pretty girl who gets away with murder by just flashing a smile.

I'm coming around on Locker. Seems bright. Certainly a leader and a tough guy. Not sure if he has enough arm though.

These shows are very interesting to be able get a little insight on how the players handle themselves.

Saw the two last night. Mallett is really weird. The guy looks as sharp as a bag of doorknobs sitting and small talking, but when Gruden asks him to diagram a play, he goes to the white board and looks like Einstein. You could see Gailey really doing something with him, because Petrino taught him a lot and he seems to at least have the ability to learn football. The guy seems to need a better support system off the field to keep him from doing stupid stuff.

Andy Dalton looks like the real deal too. Very smart, great leadership, and goes for the jugular.

I can see where Cam comes off as a phoney. I really don't know if he is or not. Had very simple play calling at Auburn, and is not really ready for the NFL under center game. Certainly would have a lot of trouble with a complex Gailey type of system. He does seem like a pretty girl who gets away with murder by just flashing a smile.

I'm coming around on Locker. Seems bright. Certainly a leader and a tough guy. Not sure if he has enough arm though.

These shows are very interesting to be able get a little insight on how the players handle themselves.

WTF? He DEFINATELY has enough arm. Nobody questions his arm or his athletic abilities.

This guy is a leader. He's tough, and he knows the pro style system. He'll adapt very well at the next level.

I've been watching them and continue to be impressed with Gruden. 'Chucky' is an incredible character. He pinpoints discrepancies in the prospects then shows how starters (Manning, etc.) do it -clearly showing what the kid has to learn.

He comes across as a nut in the TV booth, but I think he'd be great as a HC -certainly OC.

Very insightful series.

Intersting - after I saw Newton, I totally saw where there is interest witht he Panthers. He understood his responsibilities and is a natural with a microphone or camera...if he a starter - he is the face of that franchise for 12 years....

The 3 QB's I would take on this team:

-> Cam Newton

Pros: winner, athletic, playmaker, leader, accurate

Cons: focus off the field, new under center

NFL Comparison: Steve McNair

-> Ryan Mallett

Pros: big arm, winner, accurate, knows how to find the endzone, football smart

Cons: Needs guidance, confidence

NFL Comparison: Drew Bledsoe

-> Colin Kaepernick

Pros: athletic, winner, accurate, playmaker

Cons: too light, new under center

NFL Comparison: Randall Cunningham

Also consider: Andy Dalton

Edited by Got_Wood

Saw them all minus gabbert. I actually like what I saw from all of them.

I saw Gabbert on that new NFL Network Show where Mooch put him up on the Board and the Kid is REAL sharp...But everyone knows that about him already...The short clip I saw of Gabbert on Gruden's Show was kind of a joke...Just Gruden trying to get laughs and showing a clip of Payton Manning coming away from center on Play Action about a half a million times...It sucked...I mean...I understand the point he was trying to make...But we all get it Coach...Move on... B-)

I love Gruden's style. He's at his best in this setting and I'd like to see more of it. The break down with Mallet was great and an eye opener. The kid just came to life when breaking down the play on the white board. All of the segments have been great.

The 3 QB's I would take on this team:

-> Cam Newton

Pros: winner, athletic, playmaker, leader, accurate

Cons: focus off the field, new under center

NFL Comparison: Steve McNair

-> Ryan Mallett

Pros: big arm, winner, accurate, knows how to find the endzone, football smart

Cons: Needs guidance, confidence

NFL Comparison: Drew Bledsoe

-> Colin Kaepernick

Pros: athletic, winner, accurate, playmaker

Cons: too light, new under center

NFL Comparison: Randall Cunningham

Also consider: Andy Dalton

Winning at the college level doesn't translate to the NFL.

Accurate? Really?

Cons...should have a much longer list.

NFL Comparison: Steve McNair? That's about right, considering that he was never that great of a QB and was extremely overrated.

I'll say the same about Kaepernick.

Out of all those QB's I'd put Dalton at the top of the list.

Winning at the college level doesn't translate to the NFL.

Accurate? Really?

Cons...should have a much longer list.

NFL Comparison: Steve McNair? That's about right, considering that he was never that great of a QB and was extremely overrated.

I'll say the same about Kaepernick.

Out of all those QB's I'd put Dalton at the top of the list.

Where do you get off calling McNair overrated? Outside of kelly he was better than any QB the Bills ever had. He was a leader and very dangerous. BTW Newton is accurate. The only con on him is he is young.

Where do you get off calling McNair overrated? Outside of kelly he was better than any QB the Bills ever had. He was a leader and very dangerous. BTW Newton is accurate. The only con on him is he is young.

Considering he has only thrown for 20+ TDs only 3 times in his 13 year career. And has only thrown for 3,000 yds for 6 of his 13 seasons. VERY average numbers. Throwing for a pedestrian 214 yds and 0 TDs and 77 rating in his only SB appearance.

Those to me are average numbers, yet he's looked as one of the finest QBs to play this game.

Edited by DreReed83

newtons got more cons then just being young. being in a offense where it was 1 read and go is one. the questions about him as a person(stolen laptop,cheating on tests) and only 1 year of D1 ball is another. the list goes on

Considering he has only thrown for 20+ TDs only 3 times in his 13 year career. And has only thrown for 3,000 yds for 6 of his 13 seasons. VERY average numbers. Throwing for a pedestrian 214 yds and 0 TDs and 77 rating in his only SB appearance.

Those to me are average numbers, yet he's looked as one of the finest QBs to play this game.

If you watched Steve McNair play, you wouldn't say that. He was a good QB, and a dual threat QB. Not only did he have six 3,000+ yard seasons, but he also had a completion percentage of 60%, and had five 400+ rushing yard seasons. And they went to the playoffs in 4 out of 7 seasons that he was a starter.

I would take a young Steve McNair on this team any day.