Is it conceivable that we draft a QB but just not in the early rds?

Could the Bills be willing to draft a QB in the second half of the draft versus taking one in the first 3 rds? We do have Fitzpatrick and I think that everyone expects whatever potential QB that the Bills may select to sit at least a year. What if the Bills are willing to target a later rd prospect, someone like FAU QB Jeff Van Camp, and be willing to let him develope a little bit longer?

That QB that you speak of is already on the roster and his name is Levi Jones.

Fitz only has one year left on his contract. They will draft his replacement this year with either the #3 pick in the draft, or they will trade back into the late 1st to select a QB.

I think its unlikely. They've already got one late round project on the roster, so I'm not sure it makes all that much sense to add another. If they're going to bring someone in, I think they'll want a prospect that's clearly superior to what they already have.

That QB that you speak of is already on the roster and his name is Levi Jones.

Fitz only has one year left on his contract. They will draft his replacement this year with either the #3 pick in the draft, or they will trade back into the late 1st to select a QB.

Levi Brown.

Could the Bills be willing to draft a QB in the second half of the draft versus taking one in the first 3 rds? We do have Fitzpatrick and I think that everyone expects whatever potential QB that the Bills may select to sit at least a year. What if the Bills are willing to target a later rd prospect, someone like FAU QB Jeff Van Camp, and be willing to let him develope a little bit longer?

If the Bills pick a QB after the 2nd round, they're gambling on a project and NOT serious about getting a franchise QB.

Ricky Stanzi or Craig McElroy could be one of guys you're talking about. I really am impressed with McElroy I like his leadership and intelligence, guy reminds me of Fitz.

If they're serious about getting a franchise QB, then they better do it in the first round.

What do you want them to do with the 1st round pick?

Like Tony Romo and Ryan Fitzpatrick!

.....operative word here being "typically".

If they're serious about getting a franchise QB, then they better do it in the first round.

I would be very okay with Mallett in the 2nd.

Edited by DrFishfinder

They may take Gabbert at #3 if Cam is gone or Cam at #3 if he isn't, or Mallett, Ponder, Locker, or Kaepernick if one they like is available at #34 and they get one of the defensive guys they wanted at #3.

I agree it's a real reach to think you can get a successful QB after round 2, even statistically but I think it'll most likely be Gabbert at #3

If not and they take Miller at #3, I hope they go with Phil Taylor, Mallett or Kaepernick at #34 (in that order) depending on who's available, then go LT\RT in rd 3, LB 1st pick in rd 4, TE 2nd pick in rd 4, LB rd 5, CB rd 6, and BPA rd 7.

We drafted a mobile strong armed kid last year in the late rounds.....and cut him....

It's conceivable. We got Spiller and Cordero Howard because Gailey liked what he saw in person at Ga. Tech. Gailey got better than expected results from Tyler Thigpen at KC. Although nobody is focusing on free agency yet, there is a reasonable chance that Thigpen, most recently with Miami, will be a free agent when the next CBA is eventually signed, per this link:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2011/03/miami-dolphins-place-tender-on-tyler-thigpen.html

Assuming the Bills don't take a QB at #3 or #34, and you're Thigpen, would you rather try to compete with 2nd round pick Chad Henne in Miami, or with former 7th round pick Fitz in Buffalo where the head coach is a guy who previously had you start? I know that the lock-out rules now prevent player-coach contact, but maybe Thigpen or his agent break the rules to see if Gailey has any interest.

I can see Thigpen as a free agent signing to back up Fitz. If that happens, we either keep Levi Brown as #3 or replace him with a late round developmental project Gailey likes better. Personally, I don't think we know yet what Brown can do. I've read he was drafted because of his raw physical tools, and in limited action he looks like he's got a gun. If we have a preseason, let's see how much he learned in a year before we go get another raw tools guy.

It's conceivable. We got Spiller and Cordero Howard because Gailey liked what he saw in person at Ga. Tech. Gailey got better than expected results from Tyler Thigpen at KC. Although nobody is focusing on free agency yet, there is a reasonable chance that Thigpen, most recently with Miami, will be a free agent when the next CBA is eventually signed, per this link:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2011/03/miami-dolphins-place-tender-on-tyler-thigpen.html

Assuming the Bills don't take a QB at #3 or #34, and you're Thigpen, would you rather try to compete with 2nd round pick Chad Henne in Miami, or with former 7th round pick Fitz in Buffalo where the head coach is a guy who previously had you start? I know that the lock-out rules now prevent player-coach contact, but maybe Thigpen or his agent break the rules to see if Gailey has any interest.

I can see Thigpen as a free agent signing to back up Fitz. If that happens, we either keep Levi Brown as #3 or replace him with a late round developmental project Gailey likes better. Personally, I don't think we know yet what Brown can do. I've read he was drafted because of his raw physical tools, and in limited action he looks like he's got a gun. If we have a preseason, let's see how much he learned in a year before we go get another raw tools guy.

So the plan would be Fitz, Thigpen, and Brown at QB for 2011? :huh:

And you think The Bills are the laughing stock of the NFL now?... B-)

So the plan would be Fitz, Thigpen, and Brown at QB for 2011? :huh:

And you think The Bills are the laughing stock of the NFL now?... B-)

Beats Edwards, Fitz and Brohm IMO. At least 2 of the QB have shown they can be playmakers.

Can we try to reach a little higher for God's sake?... B-)

For me, it's a question of HOW you reach higher. Taking a QB at #3 is a reasonable approach if you believe that the guy will eventually be great. But Fitz is a serviceable QB for now. In general, QBs get too much credit when a team wins, and take too much blame when a team loses. Gailey has a reputation for getting the most out of whatever QB you give him - - based partly on what he got out of Thigpen in KC. Why not take advantage of that coaching strength, and allocate our limited draft pick resources to positions of greater need?

We have a defensive coordinator who may or may not have a clue. I'd rather give him the stud #3 and #34 picks for the front 7, because unlike Gailey with QBs, he may need a stud front 7 player to make the 2011 defense effective. Same with the OL - - our OL coach may need a stud ROT to make the OL effective in 2011.

And if we don't draft a QB at #3, we are in a very favorable position to trade down with AZ at #5 or some other team in the top 10 that wants to leapfrog Cincy to draft a QB. If we can do that, we can use an extra relatively high pick to grab a ROT.

So yeah, my plan for 2011 would be Fitz, Thigpen and Brown at QB, with our first two picks going to front 7 defenders (plus a ROT if we get a chance to trade down from #3). When I eventually do draft a QB to replace Fitz, I want him to be behind an OL that won't get him killed. If Fitz gets killed this year, Thigpen would be a serviceable insurance policy. And because he presumably would have a relatively short learning curve to pick up the offense of a coach who was previously his OC, Thigpen would be an especially good choice for back-up QB this year. Delay in getting the next CBA signed might greatly shorten the time our back-up QB, whoever he winds up being, has to learn Gailey's offense for the 2011 season.