[OT] Looks like DC is losing the Nats...

PromoTheRobot

I have followed this fairly closely for the duration.  Living in norfolk Va, i was desperatly hoping they would come here.

161888[/snapback]

i was hoping they'd come here too, but i don't think norfolk/va beach could support a team long term. within a decade the team would move out

I'll stick with Triple A baseball and the Bisons. We'd be an immediate small market have-not if we went into MLB.  The MLB salary and revenue structure doesn't favor cities like Buffalo.

161857[/snapback]

I agree - I love baseball. I wish the AAA Bisons existed before I moved, although I did see Tony Pena play AA ball at the Rockpile - and a little AAA ball before the original Bisons left. Here in Memphis we have a AAA team and it is much more affordable. Working people can afford 50-60 games per year. That is impossible at major league prices.

What's ridiculous is that the Mayor made a deal w/ baseball and now the council chairwoman with an attitude has decided she wants to make it personal.  Baseball basically told her "a deal is a deal" and now she comes back at the 11th hour with "OK, so now I'll only back the legislation if half of it is private financing".  Of course baseball is going to come back with "WTF?"  It's just stupid to see these politicians acting like they are doing this for their "constituents" when clearly they are hurting the city by acting this way.  You make a deal, you should honor your word.

A new stadium on the DC waterfront is the only way to tear away the urban blight down there and make something nice out of the area.  What the councilwoman is doing is akin to saying that building a new downtown football stadium on the Buffalo waterfront is a bad idea.

161850[/snapback]

There actually is a plan in place to redo the Anacostia waterfront, of which the stadium was a part. But not a centerpiece...in the absence of the stadium, the waterfront project still gets done.

I just have to laugh at the whole baseball thing, too. The amount of sheer stupidity involved in the whole thing is amazing - MLB and the DC Sports Commission for even thinking DC politics would allow the original deal, the city council for screwing over everyone (I'm no fan of baseball, but see how many other organizations commit anything to DC, now that you've shafted MLB). Hell, three incumbent councilmen lost their elections last fall specifically because they were for baseball...why did anyone think this would go through?

If baseball has any guts whatsoever, they wouldn't pussyfoot around and simply announce in time for the evening news tonight that DC can go to hell, and the Expos are going to play one more year in Montreal while other deals are considered.

I agree - I love baseball. I wish the AAA Bisons existed before I moved, although I did see Tony Pena play AA ball at the Rockpile - and a little AAA ball before the original Bisons left. Here  in Memphis we have a AAA team and it is much more affordable. Working people can afford 50-60 games per year. That is impossible at major league prices.

161930[/snapback]

I'll take hthe NHL, AAA ball and the NFL over MLB any day. Buffal ohas a good thing going.

Out here, the A's (my team) struggle every year. The Bay Area is the epitome of the haves (Giants) and have nots- (A's)

It's one big **** sandwich and we all have to take a bite...

I should have waited to get the hat...rat bastards city council.  Cropp just out to make a name for herself.  Christ, I never heard of Cropp before this whole mess, and I live here.  And Mayor Tony's lack of personal skills didn't help.

Oh well...it was just too good to be true.  Thanks for the coal in the stocking, Cropp!

161838[/snapback]

Hold on to that hat... It might be worth something! Did they sell a lot?

:lol:

Give them back to Montreal and commit to helping the franchise marketable once again. If the Oakland A's can be competitive most years so is it possible that the Expos can succeed also.

MLB deserved this disaster for the labor mess it's fans had to deal with over the last couple of decades.