Official 2011 NBA Playoffs thread

ieatcrayonz

I have consistently said that this is the year that an "unusual" team will win and/or a team with a heartwarming/compelling story would win. That does not mean Chicago is the only candidate to be the Eastern finalist, just that they are the only Eastern team that could win in the Finals if they make it. If another Eastern team has been selected to lose in the Finals it could possibly be Miami to set up the story for next year, but I'm not sure Stern will go that route.

As you well know, my "conspiracy theory" has held true since February 2009 when I gave the Finals winners for 09, 10, 11 and 12. At some point even you have to realize that my "theory" is much like the "theory" of gravity.

I had three top candidates based on the criteria I spelled out in 2009. All three are past round 1 alive. Would a serious basketball handicapper have had Dallas as one of his top three teams with a chance at winning it all? Watch and learn as one of those three or Chicago will win it. Chicago's best chance is a Jordan or Obama tie in with both seeming less plausible than the Jackson retirement/young superstars in new market/Cuban finally gets his ring scenarios. At least to me it does.

Celtics winning is the one that makes my heart-warmed...the rest? Ehh... :lol:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Grizzlies!

Holy crap...are the Grizzlies ieatcranyonz "feel good story"? Knock off the #1 seed in the West, and up 1-0 on the Thunder...impressive win for Memphis!

Edited by Buftex

Holy crap...are the Grizzlies ieatcranyonz "feel good story"? Knock off the #1 seed in the West, and up 1-0 on the Thunder...impressive win for Memphis!

I didn't include them on my list but they sure would fit the bill wouldn't they?

I made a similar mistake last year. Although I called the 7 game series, I started trying to predict individual games and failed miserably. Obviously I got game 6 correct and I did say I thought the Lakers would win a legit game 7, but I think that was it.

I didn't include them on my list but they sure would fit the bill wouldn't they?

I made a similar mistake last year. Although I called the 7 game series, I started trying to predict individual games and failed miserably. Obviously I got game 6 correct and I did say I thought the Lakers would win a legit game 7, but I think that was it.

Anytime the Celtics lose a finals series, something is definitely up! :lol:

I've been away for a while...when the :censored: did Oklahoma City get an NBA team? :unsure:

Formerly the Seattle Sonics.

Edited by Buftex

NBA is just trying to prop up a West team we (lakers) can beat so we can lose to the heat while they go to the free throw line 40 times a game.......

:lol:

Good luck to your Lakers...I hate the Mavericks!

Update After Round One...could still have them all good for the conference finals if the Lakers go down and OKC pulls it out.

IN THE EAST

Round 1

Chicago beats down Indiana easily from now on (Indana is not going to recover from that meltdown)

Orlando recovers and squeaks by Atlanta

Boston manages to get by New York but it takes a lot out of them...too much actually

Miami, despite the close game, rolls Philly

Round 2

Chicago beats Orlando in what will be a close and fantastic series.

Miami shuts everyone up about the regular season and beats Boston surprisingly handily...the mojo official appears and now everyone talks about them

Round 3

Miami D's up Rose and sends the Bulls packing...so sorry Chitown maybe next year? (eh...probably not)

IN THE WEST

Round 1

San Antonio will recover and beat Memphis, gotta assume that

Oklahoma easily dispatches with Denver

Dallas beats Portland

New Orleans beast the Los Angles and that whole thing falls about out there for LA (ya heard)

Round 2

Oklahoma beats San Antonio

Dallas beats New Orleans

Round 3

Oklahoma beats Dallas

NBA Championship

Miami Heat win it all and send home a hungry young Oklahoma team that looks to take the West for years to come

I have consistently said that this is the year that an "unusual" team will win and/or a team with a heartwarming/compelling story would win. That does not mean Chicago is the only candidate to be the Eastern finalist, just that they are the only Eastern team that could win in the Finals if they make it. If another Eastern team has been selected to lose in the Finals it could possibly be Miami to set up the story for next year, but I'm not sure Stern will go that route.

As you well know, my "conspiracy theory" has held true since February 2009 when I gave the Finals winners for 09, 10, 11 and 12. At some point even you have to realize that my "theory" is much like the "theory" of gravity.

I had three top candidates based on the criteria I spelled out in 2009. All three are past round 1 alive. Would a serious basketball handicapper have had Dallas as one of his top three teams with a chance at winning it all? Watch and learn as one of those three or Chicago will win it. Chicago's best chance is a Jordan or Obama tie in with both seeming less plausible than the Jackson retirement/young superstars in new market/Cuban finally gets his ring scenarios. At least to me it does.

Looking good for you right now Crayonz... :thumbsup:

The lakers look tired Buftex...:(

Wow...that was a meltdown. Lots of rumors coming out of LA about what is "really going on" in the Lakers locker-room. No wonder Phil seemed like he couldn't wait to get out of there....he actually said that he was "happy this season is over, and that this is my last game coaching."

They are saying that the problems stemmed from Kobe's wife playing a role in breaking up Pau Gasol and his fiance...Vanessa discouraged Gasols' fiance from marrying him...it caused a blow-up between Kobe and Pau, where some not so nice words were said about eachother's ladies...pretty ugly stuff. There really did seem to be something up with the Lakers. The Mavs are pretty good, but not 4-0 good, on the Lakers?

It kind of reminded me a bit of LeBrons apparent dis-interest in going to the finals, about halfway through the Celtics-Cavs conference finals series last year. Apparently, Gasol admitted that he let some off the court stuff affect his game...Jackson really deserved a better send-off than that, from these players. They should be embarassed and ashamed, IMO.

Whoever coaches the Lakers next has a big job ahead of them. I can't help but think, if they can work things out off the court, that Bryant, Gasol and Bynum are still a pretty formidable trio. Just keep the ladies out of it!

Wow...that was a meltdown. Lots of rumors coming out of LA about what is "really going on" in the Lakers locker-room. No wonder Phil seemed like he couldn't wait to get out of there....he actually said that he was "happy this season is over, and that this is my last game coaching."

They are saying that the problems stemmed from Kobe's wife playing a role in breaking up Pau Gasol and his fiance...Vanessa discouraged Gasols' fiance from marrying him...it caused a blow-up between Kobe and Pau, where some not so nice words were said about eachother's ladies...pretty ugly stuff. There really did seem to be something up with the Lakers. The Mavs are pretty good, but not 4-0 good, on the Lakers?

It kind of reminded me a bit of LeBrons apparent dis-interest in going to the finals, about halfway through the Celtics-Cavs conference finals series last year. Apparently, Gasol admitted that he let some off the court stuff affect his game...Jackson really deserved a better send-off than that, from these players. They should be embarassed and ashamed, IMO.

Whoever coaches the Lakers next has a big job ahead of them. I can't help but think, if they can work things out off the court, that Bryant, Gasol and Bynum are still a pretty formidable trio. Just keep the ladies out of it!

I am betting that after this Phil wished he would have retired last year (everyone knew he was def going to retire this year) A couple of thoughts

- I am actually not that upset over this.....I would have to see them make it out of the west and get destroyed by an East team I cannot stand (and I cant stand the celtics or the heat) with what was going on this team there was no way we were going to beat an East team

- I find it interesting that everyone is blasting Lamar and Bynum for their flagrants.....Lamar's was a flagrant but didnt warrant being tossed.....Bynums WAS a flagrant 2 and he did deserve to get tossed.....but lets not forget that little **** Barrera (who by the way had been throwing elbows all series to clear space....just like Novinski when he hit Artest in the head with that elbow) they made it like they should have arrested Bynum or something.....hey newsflash.....if your going to show up a team when you are up by 30 like that and not have any common sense then you take your chances.....the lakers NEVER would have tried to do with Barerra did there. Bynum will take his suspensions and fines and he deserves them.

- Kobe Bryant is one of the best players ever....but father time is catching up with him and you cant have your number 2 option go AWOL in the playoffs....Gasol was a shell of himself and that is the single biggest reason for us losing. He was already not a hard player he was a soft player with great offensive skills

- Our defense was horrible.....guards blew right by the peremeter defense and then noone communicated to the bigs when they got beat...you could literally see Bynum mouthing out "talk to me....communicate" but it went on deaf ears......Fisher should be moved to back up role or outright released......Steve Blake catching the chicken pox couldnt have happened at a worse time.....Shannon Brown played like a complete knucklehead this season.....and what was probably the fastest and best guard we had in the playoffs (tre johnson) Phil just wouldn't play him.

- Speaking of Phil....it is time for him to ride off into the sunset....his zen philosophy is being completely tuned out by these players.....he gets stuck in rotations that do work and sticks with them......and I have no idea what they are practicing for defense in the practices.

- The triangle offense is dead due to the way the game is being called with double teams and zones......the only way I can see it working from here on out is if you have bullseye spot up shooters who can also get the ball into the big men

- Bynum or Gasol (I am betting its Bynum) will be traded this offseason.....and the only reason why I dont hate that is I worry about Drews knees over the course of a full season......Dwight Howard is gonna pull a Labron James and want to come to LA......

We need to move some pieces around the board.....but a couple of changes and we can be right back in it.....

- I find it interesting that everyone is blasting Lamar and Bynum for their flagrants.....Lamar's was a flagrant but didnt warrant being tossed.....Bynums WAS a flagrant 2 and he did deserve to get tossed.....but lets not forget that little **** Barrera (who by the way had been throwing elbows all series to clear space....just like Novinski when he hit Artest in the head with that elbow) they made it like they should have arrested Bynum or something.....hey newsflash.....if your going to show up a team when you are up by 30 like that and not have any common sense then you take your chances.....the lakers NEVER would have tried to do with Barerra did there. Bynum will take his suspensions and fines and he deserves them.

Actually, I don't really have that much of a problem with what Odom or Bynum did. At least Odom admitted it was a bad play on his part, and, as a Celtics fan, I would be a hypocrite if I condemned Bynum for his play on Barrera. It may have been cheap, it may have been dirty, but at least it showed someone was upset. And, honeslty, I don't think the hit was that bad...just like I think it is possible, as ghastly as it may have looked Saturday night, Rondo didn't really get hurt that bad in his tet-a-tet with Wade. I just think guys have learned to overreact to everything, to draw fouls. And the ESPN chuckleheads love to make everything epic!

Bynum, taking his shirt off, as he walked off the court, would bother me more as a Laker fan. It just shows a bit of immaturity, and lack of respect for the game, your teammates, and yesterday, most importantly, Phil Jackson. I have done my fair share of hating on Jackson since he went to La-la land (but I liked him in Chicago!), but the guy just deserved a much more professional effort out of his "kids", as he referred to them as. What he has done as a head coach is amazing, and would be in any sport.

I know it has been rumored that Howard will go to LA, but I don't see it happening, at least not next season. I don' think the Magic will agree to trade him, unless they got something stellar in return (not Bynum and his iffy knees), so, like Cleveland, they may just play the season out with him, and hope that he decides not to leave...

To me, as a Celtics fan, it is kind of bittersweet. The Celtics/Lakers rivalry is, maybe, the defining mathcup in all of sports for me, and my love for sports. I realize the Celtics "mini-run" is over, or close to it. It would be awesome to see them come back and knock Miami out, make it past Atlanta/Chicago, but going to the finals and playing Dallas or Memphis/OKC just does not get my adrenalyn going like the Lakers/Celtics. Oh, I would still root, hard as hell, but it still bothers me that the Celtics were 1-2 against the Lakers in the finals, during the Showtime Lakers era...

I don't think the Lakers are done either, they just need to sit this one out... who you think will end up coaching them?

btw- if the Heat run the Celtics out of the gym tonight, I wouldn't be surprised to see KG and Wade get into it...something is brewing there...and I will love it! If the Celitcs beat Miami as convincingly tonight, this thing is going 7!

Edited by Buftex

I doubt the "rumors" are true (Lebron's "mommy" rumors weren't)...but if they are Kobe's wife has a lot of room to talk. :thumbdown:

Maybe not, but it sure is sounding more and more that something went down between Kobe and Gasol, off the court. Gasol and his fiance (who had been togehter for "a while", not sure how long that means) did split up...I could see that affecting someone to a degree...but it sure did look strange to see the Lakers playing so "laissez faire" during the Mavs series...very un-Laker like, in cruch time.

I am a Andrew Bynum fan.....but I thought the play was bad...Barerra was in the air and he just laid into him with an elbow....Barerra could have been hurt badly......

BUT

If that midget guard wasn't throwing elbows the whole series and trying to run up the score to see if they can get it from 30 to 40 I dont think it happens.......the lakers were beaten and embarressed by getting swept after being 2 time champs....what did he think was going to happen? The fact that no player is defendring Andrew says a lot.

By the way....dont discount the Bynum trade even with the knee issues......Andrew Bynum is a top 3 pure center in the league when healthy (by the way.....Dwight Howard is more like an oversized power forward) this is probably the best deal Orlando is going to get (who covets big men)

Dont know whats gonna happen with the coaching situation.....I would have said Brian Shaw for most of the season....but now rumors of Rick Adlemen are popping up.

I am a Andrew Bynum fan.....but I thought the play was bad...Barerra was in the air and he just laid into him with an elbow....Barerra could have been hurt badly......

BUT

If that midget guard wasn't throwing elbows the whole series and trying to run up the score to see if they can get it from 30 to 40 I dont think it happens.......the lakers were beaten and embarressed by getting swept after being 2 time champs....what did he think was going to happen? The fact that no player is defendring Andrew says a lot.

By the way....dont discount the Bynum trade even with the knee issues......Andrew Bynum is a top 3 pure center in the league when healthy (by the way.....Dwight Howard is more like an oversized power forward) this is probably the best deal Orlando is going to get (who covets big men)

Dont know whats gonna happen with the coaching situation.....I would have said Brian Shaw for most of the season....but now rumors of Rick Adlemen are popping up.

:thumbsup: lakers thugery :thumbsup:

Maybe not, but it sure is sounding more and more that something went down between Kobe and Gasol, off the court. Gasol and his fiance (who had been togehter for "a while", not sure how long that means) did split up...I could see that affecting someone to a degree...but it sure did look strange to see the Lakers playing so "laissez faire" during the Mavs series...very un-Laker like, in cruch time.

Was Kobe not rumored to have been involved in some way with the Shaq divorce? Like he implied something that set Shaq's little wife off on a tear turning up all his affairs?