Why do the top college prospects have to go through the draft to make

Scrappy

Not every pick in the baseball draft is out of high school. Some are also trained for free at major colleges. Off the top of my head, two D1 college standouts Robin Ventura and Frank Thomas were 1st round picks in the baseball draft out of Ok State and Auburn and were in the Majors within a year of being drafted.

If the NFL had a minor league system and did not have the 3 year out of high school eligibility rule you would see both drafts be quite similar.

I'm not saying college football isn't a good talent evaluator, but let's think of it this way. If the NFL had a minor league system instead of mainly the NCAA you could draft and develop players that fit your organization rather than retraining a player from a spread or veer offense to a pro style offense. Could you imagine having a QB developing at the minor league level running a specific offensive style for 3-4 years then taking what he learned with him onto the field at 22 running the same offense at the NFL level? I think you would see a lot fewer busts and more franchise QBs, but that is just my theory.

In any event, we are comparing apples to grapenuts here since the sports and the professional organizations are completely different.

agreed.

I would only add that from a management position a farm system for the NFL would be riskier. You draft a kid, pay to develop him, but bc of the very physical nature of football is injured. wasted pick. In the current system you can simply not draft him.

NBA Basketball system is more like the NFL versus baseball where there is grapefruit / Triple A / Double A ball to be played. NBA holds a draft & the top picks are expected to perform right out of the box to a point, unlike the NFL which still takes years to season them with a few expections depending on the position. I also see that certain college players that have been left out of the draft can hook onto any team that is willing to pick them up, which at least gives them a chance to play.

Jason Peters is a prime example of what is all that's wrong in Buffalo. We build up a found talent, make him a probowler & refuse to pay him market for his talents when needed. That type of behavior by the owner seems like someone who is looking to just get by versus winning it all, make as much hay as possible without paying for the straw mentality. So if the owners are allowed to make a massive profit, what stops players from eventually improving their pay when needed as per their circumstances??

I'm sorry to those who don't like my simple writing style, nor my entirely grammatically incorrect writing. I just think that getting points across quickly that make you think is more important than if I capatilize and put periods / commas in all the time.

If the draft is illegal then so is any employer telling an employee where he has to work within that company. The NFL teams are franchisees within what is technically the same corporation-the NFL. They compete on the field, not economically against each other. If the draft is illegal, then so is revenue sharing. These players, by choosing to play in the NFL, agree to abide by the choices of their employers. If they choose not to join their drafting team they have several options-sign with the CFL, UFL etc or stay away from football for a year and get redrafted. They also have the option of getting a real job if they don't want to work for the NFL. If the draft was illegal, why did the courts rule that Maurice Clarett must be permitted to enter the draft as one did several years ago? How can a judge make the league engage in an illegal activity, as he did by forcing Clarett into the draft?

Edited by Albany,n.y.

If the draft is illegal then so is any employer telling an employee where he has to work within that company. The NFL teams are franchisees within what is technically the same corporation-the NFL. They compete on the field, not economically against each other. If the draft is illegal, then so is revenue sharing. These players, by choosing to play in the NFL, agree to abide by the choices of their employers. If they choose not to join their drafting team they have several options-sign with the CFL, UFL etc or stay away from football for a year and get redrafted. They also have the option of getting a real job if they don't want to work for the NFL. If the draft was illegal, why did the courts rule that Maurice Clarett must be permitted to enter the draft as one did several years ago? How can a judge make the league engage in an illegal activity, as he did by forcing Clarett into the draft?

Exactly. I think that some people tend to view NFL teams as individual/independent entities and that's where they get confused.

Company X requiring a prospetive applicant to have a minimum 4 year college degree to be considered for Y employment opportunity is not illegal. A similar logic applies to the NFL and whatever requirements they demand/require for an individual to join their league.

Edited by bobobonators

Under normal circumstances, with a collective bargaining agreement in effect, the draft is absolutely legal because of the NFL's antitrust exemptions.

Right now, with a lawsuit pending that could eliminate those exemptions, the legality of the draft could be challenged in the future. In theory.

It"s a good point !! Why couldn't he be like a UDFA or just get an agent & talk directly to team ownership ??

Wasn't there a guy that was a walk on for the Eagles back in the day when Dick Vermile was the coach ? I think they made a movie from the story a year or so ago ??

"invincible" was the film. And off the street players are given a look-see every once in a while. But the vast majority of players are chosen through the draft since that has been the easiest, most direct route to the $$$ for those players.

So what's your saying is that if a normal person wants to apply for a NFL position they cannot ?? You have to go through the supplemental draft or straight draft ?? This is america & if you want to apply for a position, you simply should be able to. The union decertified & claimed the draft is illegal, they need to get all the legal ramifications put in front of them. I pose a obvious scenario that can happen.

The NFL isn't the America you are talking about just like Augusta National isn't. There are rules to get in. You can't just show up at Harvard and take classes and you can't just play golf at Augusta.

Seriously this has to be explained to you????

The NFL isn't the America you are talking about just like Augusta National isn't. There are rules to get in. You can't just show up at Harvard and take classes and you can't just play golf at Augusta.

Seriously this has to be explained to you????

So the draft is signed off as illegal by the players, yet you just can't show up to a NFL team to play because of a rule ? How are they supposed to get players legally, osmosis ? The players are playing legal games which they might not like the final results, a lawyer bred initiative.

I find it funny to try to see people the only way they know how things work, versus what could be. Expand yourself to a bigger place, take the key to the universe.

The draft is part of the CBA. It is negotiated and agreed upon by both sides. That's why it has gone from 17 rounds to 12 and now to 7.

How does that play out for college players who are not yet part of the "collective" in collective bargaining agreement? Seems like existing players and owners define policy for new comers that have no voice and are not yet members of the NFL.

Interesting points but the legality of the draft was not being challenged therefor no ruling on it.

Your franchise all one company argument is interesting. I would like to know more about that arrangement. Using examples of franchises I am familiar with like fast food restaurants, they don't follow that model. Potential employees apply at the franchise that they want to work at and are hired or not. Candidates don't apply at "corporate headquarters" and then get assigned a location.

Edited by PDaDdy