Nix & Gailey on Phone Conference today

papazoid

I was on the call too and heard things a little different.

#4- Patrick Peterson is viewed as a "nickel" back, so i don't think they take him.

I heard Coach Gailey say that he'd be good at "nickel" but also said he wouldn't put him in deep coverage when he would be so good at man to man and that's how he'd use him at least a good part of the time.

That is exactly what I heard as well. The original poster must have misheard Gailey. They do not view PP as merely a nickel back.

I think that the mission is accomplished. NOBODY has a definitive idea on what the Bills are going to do and that's a good thing. It seems like they addressed each issue with answers but still managed to leave it open ended. In my opinion the Bills stay at #3 and select a defensive stud (Quinn?) and then take a QB (Kaepernick?) at #34. I don't see any trade backs OR ups, just the Bills using their allotted picks wisely.

I just like the fact that Nix and Gailey seem to be interacting and communicating regularly. The Bills will not be turned around if these guys are not on the same page. Only time will show if they are up to the task but they do appear to be doing the right things.

Nix on the merits of trading down:

“We are open to trade down,” Nix said in a Tele-forum with Bills season ticket holders last week. “I’m not sure that that’s always the answer. If there’s a guy you really want at your pick, you better take him. If you think you can trade down and still get the guy you want, a lot of times you’re disappointed. And just because you want to trade down and get extra picks it takes two to do that, and a lot of times there are not a lot of teams willing to move up.”

“I think the thing is when you start considering that you might trade down if the opportunity presented itself and the guy you wanted was gone, you have to figure up to 10,” said Nix. “I wouldn’t want to drop any further down than in the top 10. You have to figure nine or 10 prospects that you’d be wanting to have. If you go offense the first pick, who is the defensive guy that will be there? If you go defense with the first pick then you need at least two or three choices in the second round because they might not all be there.”

“If you have a guy that you’re dead set on getting you better take him and not move down thinking you can get him at number seven because you might not and then you don’t have the player,” he said. “If that’s the case with us, if there’s a guy there that we think we’re dead set on we’re going to take him.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Nix-on-the-merits-of-trading-down/61f05367-fb60-4ab5-98dc-7d232dae8e04

Nix on the merits of trading down:

“We are open to trade down,” Nix said in a Tele-forum with Bills season ticket holders last week. “I’m not sure that that’s always the answer. If there’s a guy you really want at your pick, you better take him. If you think you can trade down and still get the guy you want, a lot of times you’re disappointed. And just because you want to trade down and get extra picks it takes two to do that, and a lot of times there are not a lot of teams willing to move up.

Numerous draft "gurus" in here would disagree.