If we go QB at #3

Damian

I keep seeing posts where the Bills draft a QB at the #3 pick and then have him sit for the whole year. My question is why have them ride the bench?

If you look at the recent 1st round QB picks, you see alot that started as rookies: Big Ben, Bradford, Flacco, Ryan, Stafford, Sanchez, etc.

IMO, if you think the guy you drafted is your new franchise QB, you might as well let him start getting the experience that only playing the game can give. The Steelers won a SB with Big Ben being a rookie, the Ravens made it to the AFC conference championship with Flacco as a rookie, so its not like you would be throwing your season away by starting a rookie QB.

I'm pretty certain that a HUGE part of taking a QB at #3 is the fact that they know Fitz will start in 2011...It REALLY takes the pressure off the Kid as a Rookie, especially considering it's going to be Gabbert or Newton and there is a large learning curve for both of them...I've said all along that having a guy like Fitz in house makes it FAR more likely The Bills will take a QB at #3...Fitz relieves a lot of the pressure if you ask me... B-)

I don’t think the Bills will take a QB with their fist pick. Here’s why: What was one of the first things Buddy Nix did as GM? He announced that T.O. would not be resigned. Why? Not because T.O. was washed up, but because Nix places an extremely high value on team chemistry & cohesiveness…& T.O. was disruptive, even when he behaves, if for no other reason than the crazy lopsided media attention on him. Now…mix this with the moments of sunshine Fitz had last year & Gailey’s subsequent public endorsement of him. Think about it…what a great way to screw up any team chemistry right now by drafting Gabbert or Newton. It’s like telling Fitz…”We’ve changed our minds…you’re no longer #1…now mentor your replacement.” It would divide the locker room. The best thing our beloved Bills can do on April 28th is focus on shoring up our defense (Dareus, Miller, or Fairly) with our first pick & then take a QB in the later rounds. Who knows, maybe we’ll find a diamond in the rough that Fitz can mentor void of controversy.

I keep seeing posts where the Bills draft a QB at the #3 pick and then have him sit for the whole year. My question is why have them ride the bench?

If you look at the recent 1st round QB picks, you see alot that started as rookies: Big Ben, Bradford, Flacco, Ryan, Stafford, Sanchez, etc.

IMO, if you think the guy you drafted is your new franchise QB, you might as well let him start getting the experience that only playing the game can give. The Steelers won a SB with Big Ben being a rookie, the Ravens made it to the AFC conference championship with Flacco as a rookie, so its not like you would be throwing your season away by starting a rookie QB.

my view is ur going to waste or ruin a guy putting him in with this lineup all of those others were put in place behind solid teams were the missing component was QB, right now that is not the missing component on this team so its ok to sit.

I think what most people are forgetting is that a lot of the busts at QB out there happened because a QB that was not ready for the NFL was thrown into a starting role regardless, developed bad habits from being under pressure behind a poor OL, and was never able to recover. If we do draft a QB at #3 (which I am wholeheartedly against), the absolute worst thing to do would be to throw him to the wolves immediately. Fitz was able to play well this past year because he has snap-decision making and a gunslinger mentality, and knows how to play in the NFL. If you draft and immediately start Gabbert or Newton, who looks at one person, and if that read isn't open, they tuck and run it, then you're just asking for them to bust. All these problems are magnified if the lockout continues and they have no practice time in the NFL before they start playing meaningful games, they would be absolutely lost, possibly irredeemably so.

It'll be Newton if he is their and he will sit behind Fitz. Some QBs like Palmer, Rivers,McNabb and Rogers sat a year and they turned out fine. My god its not like this team is goin to the Super Bowl are even yet the playoffs its one pick its one player. The rookie cap will stop him from getting an unheard of amount of money. And what if Miller, Bowers, Fairly or Darieus turn out to be busts but Cam doesn't then we will be in this situation another 5 years. We won't be that bad next year to get the #1 pick to get your annoited king Andrew Luck (who I like) but what if he has a Jake Locker fall or what if he gets injured then who you want Matt Barkley LOL... Its all a gamble puttin up stats and comparisons mean nothing just relax. As much as I want Cam i'll be ok with Darieus, Peterson or whoever will help the Bills win PERIOD!

Oh and this is a DEEP Defensive class if we take Cam as the only Offensive player we can take the rest Defense you can do that ya know...

I've thought and read a lot about this pick and believe the Bills will not pick a QB with their #3 pick and here's my points of reasoning (that have been stated in different ways by many others, I know).

1) They like Fitzy and he is good enough to play a couple more seasons as the starter and even though many fans don't believe this, the reality is Chan believes it and he has said so several times. If anything, they will go QB in a later round (and there are some quality QB's in this draft that will be available) or eventually find one in FA to challenge for the backup slot.

2) To draft one at #3 means you plan to start him pretty quickly given the money they will probably be getting and, as per point number one, I don't think that they plan on not starting Fitzy.

3) I believe the anemic run defense and pass rush are way too critical to ignore in this draft and whether it be DE, DT, OLB or CB, one of these positions has got to be the #3 pick. I'm not a pro Von Miller at #3 guy but would rather see that then a QB at #3.

4) Chan got a close op look at several of the other QB's at the Senior Bowl and I think he has his eye on one of those guys after the 1st rd.

5) I'm no pro scout, but I don't believe Newton or Gabbert will have "Franchise QB" type of success in the NFL. QB's who can read and pick apart defenses and hang in the pocket instead of running account for 95% of the franchise type QB's.

6) The lines need to be solidified before any QB can have great success on this team. If a QB has not ime for routes to develop, to set his feet, to see the field before someone's in his face, or to even hand off the ball before being hit, how can he have success. We need at least one more pick on the O-line if not two before we will have consistent offensive success at either QB or RB.

In summation, IMHO we can't afford to go QB at #3 and if I, like many others who feel this way are wrong then we'll get a shot at another top ten QB next year if our record doesn't improve much or at all.

Go Da'Quan\Fairley!

1) They like Fitzy and he is good enough to play a couple more seasons as the starter and even though many fans don't believe this, the reality is Chan believes it and he has said so several times. If anything, they will go QB in a later round (and there are some quality QB's in this draft that will be available)

IF ANY team thought that they were real starting quality, they'd have been gone by the end of round 1.

2) To draft one at #3 means you plan to start him pretty quickly given the money they will probably be getting and, as per point number one, I don't think that they plan on not starting Fitzy. I DON"T AGREE WITH THIS...

3) I believe the anemic run defense and pass rush are way too critical to ignore in this draft and whether it be DE, DT, OLB or CB, one of these positions has got to be the #3 pick. I'm not a pro Von Miller at #3 guy but would rather see that then a QB at #3. I DO AGREE HERE, BUT IF A TRUE NFL STARTING QB IS AVAILABLE, THEN THEY MUST TAKE

HIM.

4) Chan got a close op look at several of the other QB's at the Senior Bowl and I think he has his eye on one of those guys after the 1st rd. I ADMIT THAT I AM INTRIGUED

BY PONDER AND DALTON, ESPECIALLY LOCKER IF HE IS AVAILABLE AT THE TOP OF ROUND 2.

5) I'm no pro scout, but I don't believe Newton or Gabbert will have "Franchise QB" type of success in the NFL. QB's who can read and pick apart defenses and hang in the pocket instead of running account for 95% of the franchise type QB's. TOTALLY AGREE!

6) The lines need to be solidified before any QB can have great success on this team. If a QB has not ime for routes to develop, to set his feet, to see the field before someone's in his face, or to even hand off the ball before being hit, how can he have success. We need at least one more pick on the O-line if not two before we will have consistent offensive success at either QB or RB. TRUE DAT

In summation, IMHO we can't afford to go QB at #3 and if I, like many others who feel this way are wrong then we'll get a shot at another top ten QB next year if our record doesn't improve much or at all. WITH YA...

Go Da'Quan\Fairley! NOT GROOVING ON FAIRLEY AT ALL. IMHO, HE IS THE BUST IN WAITING ON D.

I'm pretty certain that a HUGE part of taking a QB at #3 is the fact that they know Fitz will start in 2011...It REALLY takes the pressure off the Kid as a Rookie, especially considering it's going to be Gabbert or Newton and there is a large learning curve for both of them...I've said all along that having a guy like Fitz in house makes it FAR more likely The Bills will take a QB at #3...Fitz relieves a lot of the pressure if you ask me... B-)

Definite advantage to have a guy like Fitz who is good enough to roll with while the young guy sits a year. I dont think it would be wise to start him year one, especially since if we go QB at #3 it will be Newton or Gabbert, both who will need time to learn a pro system since they ran the spread in college.

I want a QB in the early rounds this year, doesnt have to be #3, but I want someone to groom behind Fitz. I am not nearly as enamored as some with Fitz season, but I still like the guy and how he plays with heart and I am fine with him at the helm while the heir apparent is grooming behind him.

However, if we get a QB at #3, I seriously doubt he sits again in year 2 with that large salary and the pressure to play him. That is unless Fitz morphs in to an upper tier QB this next year.

My three thoughts on this.......

- Fitz is your QB this year and maybe even beyond depending on whether the bills can sign him.....

- Both Gabbert and Newton are considered not ready to start immediately but their potential is through the roof.....good thing we already have a starting QB

- And last but not least.....since whoever we draft is knowing going to not start......what about Mallette, Ponder, Locker, Kepatrick, and Dalton. Are any of them in a situation where they have an extremely high ceiling as well and would benefit from sitting behind Fitz for a year? Lets say for instance that Mallette is a extremely talented QB and has franchise QB potential.....since he would not be counted on immedietly wouldn't it make more sense to take a guy who can start and dominate from day one and take that guy in round 2? Then you have a very talented kid as the backup behind your already established starter and if it takes him a while to come around you still had a highly successfull draft with all the defensive talent you got. Astro's mock looks awesome just insert a QB in round 2 rather then the linebacker and take a LB in the 3rd round.

- And last but not least.....since whoever we draft is knowing going to not start......what about Mallette, Ponder, Locker, Kepatrick, and Dalton. Are any of them in a situation where they have an extremely high ceiling as well and would benefit from sitting behind Fitz for a year? Lets say for instance that Mallette is a extremely talented QB and has franchise QB potential.....since he would not be counted on immedietly wouldn't it make more sense to take a guy who can start and dominate from day one and take that guy in round 2? Then you have a very talented kid as the backup behind your already established starter and if it takes him a while to come around you still had a highly successfull draft with all the defensive talent you got. Astro's mock looks awesome just insert a QB in round 2 rather then the linebacker and take a LB in the 3rd round.

this is a great point. If the Bills think anyone outside of Gabbert or Newton has the same caliber tool kit physically and the potential to be a franchise guy that is an excellent plan. Question is are any of those second tier guys really capable of that? I'd rather gamble big than gamble small. But I know that's not a universal (or maybe even the most efficient) mindset. Still, I would hope that if the Bills pass on Newton or Gabbert (and I think they will) that they pass on taking a QB at all and instead pickup a vet to back Fitz up.

Go Da'Quan\Fairley! NOT GROOVING ON FAIRLEY AT ALL. IMHO, HE IS THE BUST IN WAITING ON D.

You may be right OldTimer1960, I'm worried about a few of these early rd guys simply because they haven't shown consistency for at least two or three years (not all of them, but several). I'm really starting to think Bowers is the best pick, even over the favored Dareus, cause of scheme fit and need even though he fits the "unproven consistency" group. My main point was to show why I don't think they will or should go QB at #3. Fairley does have a motor and a mean streak though.

Edited by hammie65

Big Ben didn't start from day 1, he only came in because Maddox got hurt.

If they do go QB at #3 that guy is your 2011 starter from game #1 - no question. For the people that say let him sit behind Fitzy like Aaron Rodgers did, I respectfully remind them that Rodgers sat only because he was behind an NFL institution known as Brett Favre. You don't make the multi-million dollar commitment that a QB at #3 requires to have the guy sit for 1/4 of his rookie contract before you find out if he is the man.

So for all of the Fitzpatrick loyalists (and I may be one) be careful what you wish for. If Gabbert or Newton has his name called at #3, Fitz goes straight back to the bench.

I vehemently disagree with this statement! Fitz has earned the right to be the starter for week 1, anybody who says different is flat out wrong on many levels :wallbash: