Bruce Miller

I get fanatical about the draft, but I rarely have a conviction on a player. The last one was Brian Orakpo <shudder>, but this time it is LB Bruce Miller of UCF. He's projected as a mid-round pick, but I can't figure out why. Some highlights:

- College DE that projects to 3-4 ILB

- 2009 and 2010 Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year

- Current active career sack leader in the NCAA (34.0)

- Recorded sacks in non-conference games against bigger schools like Rutgers, Kansas St, Georgia and Miami

- Recorded one sack in the East-West Shrine game

- 4.76 40 time at the combine

- 35 bench reps (most reps of all 22 DE prospects to participate in the drill. No LBs had more than him, and only 2 DTs had more)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=9FABW6VvkrA

Don't you guys think he'd look great in a Bills jersey?

I get fanatical about the draft, but I rarely have a conviction on a player. The last one was Brian Orakpo <shudder>, but this time it is LB Bruce Miller of UCF. He's projected as a mid-round pick, but I can't figure out why. Some highlights:

- Recorded sacks in non-conference games against bigger schools like Rutgers, Kansas St, Georgia and Miami

- 35 bench reps (most reps of all 22 DE prospects to participate in the drill. No LBs had more than him, and only 2 DTs had more)

youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=9FABW6VvkrA

I'd definitely take him with the later pick in round four if he was there.

Living in Orlando, I have seen this kid play quite a few times and he is definitely a ballplayer. I would love to see him as a Bill but I just don't see it happening unless they draft him around the 2nd 4th or in the 5th as a rotational DE. The Bills have a serious NEED for an established 3-4 ILB and Miller does not fit that profile.

I don't know how he is projected as a 3-4 ILB though. He has the size for ILB, similar to Moats, but I would guess he is more of a 3-4 OLB or even staying at his natural position as a DE.

One heck of a football player for whoever drafts this kid.

Thought he stood out in the bowl game while Bowers was loafing.

520 bench is insane! hell 420 would be awesome, Really comes with some nasty to the ball would awesome in a Bills uni maybe #59 (no 49 for LBs)

Saw him play a lot here at UCF. Kid just finds a way to make plays and makes them at big moments. never takes plays off and is just a solid mean player. Don't know how he will translate to the LB in the NFL but will not disapoint. Would love to see him in the Bills uniform! :thumbsup:

Like Moats he will struggle in pass coverage, but he is stout and would be good on 1st and 2nd downs. I also live in Orlando, and I've seen this kid play a lot. he is high motor, he is great at going forward, I've seen him struggle in lateral movements...but still worth a 5th.

He reminds me of Ted Bruschi.

Fan youtube videos crack me up, I am not sure if he can really bench 520 pounds. And wouldn't pull ups and rows be a better measuring tool for LBs. also hand strength, Tim Anderson, is a great example of a lack of hand strength, I recall many times he had a one on one situation in the backfield with a running back and he would grab on, but the RB will shake him off.

Fan youtube videos crack me up, I am not sure if he can really bench 520 pounds. And wouldn't pull ups and rows be a better measuring tool for LBs. also hand strength, Tim Anderson, is a great example of a lack of hand strength, I recall many times he had a one on one situation in the backfield with a running back and he would grab on, but the RB will shake him off.

Ya, I don't put much stock in those videos. I felt like in this situation it was a nice supplement to his actual numbers and performances.

A lot of Orlando people that have seen him play... very nice!

I'm 50/50 on Bruce Miller. I think he's a good football player, has good lower-body explosion, and I love that he was pretty consistent in terms of productivity, but there are a few red flags that stick out to me as far as his NFL potential.

He has extremely short arms (30-1/2"), which does not bode well for a guy that doesn't possess that elite quick-twitch speed. This is one of the reasons that his bench press is so solid: shorter arms, better bench; longer arms, much tougher to bench. I think it's important that we recognize the length:strength ratio here. When you compare Miller's strength to that of a guy like Justin Houston, who put up 30 reps and has 34-1/2" arms, it sort of pales in comparison.

I also feel like he's pretty heavy-legged to be working in coverage as a 3-4 LB. His 3-cone and 20-yard shuttle times are good for a defensive lineman, but for a LB he's a step behind the better members of the class.

Overall, I wouldn't have an issue spending a 5th round pick on him, although I think he'll go before that because a team with fewer holes to fill will likely feel like they can get productivity out of him as a situation pass rusher.

Just my 1 cent.