No trading of draft picks other than this years...

According to Gil Brandt(on Sirius in the last hour or so), players can't be traded until a new CBA is worked out(this has been mentioned before) nor can a team trade any draft picks from 2012 or beyond.

Edited by LabattBlue

According to Gil Brandt(on Sirius in the last hour or so), players can't be traded until a new CBA is worked out(this has been mentioned before) nor can a team trade any draft picks from 2012 or beyond.

If true NoSaint wants an apology from pittsburghs beat reporter and GM who keep calling him a liar when he agrees with Gil Brandt.

Serious note though- this has been reported both ways. Have any 2012 picks been traded yet? I don't believe you can because if the NFL wanted they could end the draft, change formats, length etc... The only argument I've heard against was the Pitt GM saying it's buyer beware and if the pick disappears, changes value - your just out of luck.

Chris Mortenson has reported that teams can trade future draft picks, but were forewarned by the NFL to trade future picks "at their own risk." It seems that no draft in 2012 could be part of Brady's antitrust litigation suit.

Sorry can't provide a link...my computer's being gay. Google it.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Chris Mortenson has reported that teams can trade future draft picks, but were forewarned by the NFL to trade future picks "at their own risk." It seems that no draft in 2012 could be part of Brady's antitrust litigation suit.

i think he was just reporting on what the pittsburgh gm said in an interview. there were threads on it here even. its the most definitive thing ive heard from a league source on record, but prior to that interview a couple weeks ago, EVERYONE was reporting it was a no-no.

we will see i suppose. its possible its not 100% set in stone even, and the league will be making a decision before the draft, since its not really an issue that needs a final answer quite yet.

It seems that no draft in 2012 could be part of Brady's antitrust litigation suit.

Well there goes the 10 Fans left who were supporting the players... ;)

No Draft... :doh:...Seriously I hope someone burns in hell for that one if it's true... B-)

Well there goes the 10 Fans left who were supporting the players... ;)

No Draft... :doh:...Seriously I hope someone burns in hell for that one if it's true... B-)

its all a game of chicken. essentially, how can you have a draft without a union? players arent giving up that union for real, and the nfl doesnt want them to either.

its the entire reason von miller was included in the suit in the first place.

Serious note though- this has been reported both ways. Have any 2012 picks been traded yet? I don't believe you can because if the NFL wanted they could end the draft, change formats, length etc... The only argument I've heard against was the Pitt GM saying it's buyer beware and if the pick disappears, changes value - your just out of luck.

Regardless if its allowed or not, if there is a risk of those 2012 picks vanishing….then I doubt you see any picks traded. Best to err on the side of caution.

PS: If they get rid of the draft, the other 2/3rds of the year without football will be completely ruined. Not to mention the Bills would be way worse off. Before we could force our bad picks to come here, now we wont even be able to do that!

You are correct...Here's the link:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/teams-may-trade-future-draft-picks-at-their-own-risk/

Regardless if its allowed or not, if there is a risk of those 2012 picks vanishing….then I doubt you see any picks traded. Best to err on the side of caution.

PS: If they get rid of the draft, the other 2/3rds of the year without football will be completely ruined. Not to mention the Bills would be way worse off. Before we could force our bad picks to come here, now we wont even be able to do that!

More than likely it would be a change from 7 to 5/6 rounds. With the incentive being 32-64 more players getting to choose their destination. If there is no draft, both sides have failed miserably and a court has sertledthis.

The age of the Internet.... Pittsburgh beat writer interviews the GM, mortensen then starts reporting it, and oft cites mortensen as a primary source...

Truly by my estimation there has been exactly one public statement by a person associated with the NFL and the rest are derivatives of that single report.