Holy S***

Thoner7

Thats Why So Serious - you are a voice of reason. These other guys clearly just

blabor about what they heard on ESPN. If you watched any Locker games, or the Senior Bowl, he was horrible in every outing. The only way you could believe he was a top 10 pick last year if if you never saw him play and just go off of what Todd McShay said and not wha the NFL scouts and his play were telling you. Locker will get drafted 3-4 rounds too high on name alone. He should write a big check to Tan McShay when he does too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/locker-didnt-get-a-first-round-grade-from-advisory-committee/

Despite a proclamation by ESPN’s Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn’t receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker.

“That’s the problem,” the source opined. “McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league.”

And the source explained that these opinions come not from the same-old rant by NFL scouts that guys like McShay and Mel Kiper have the luxury of popping off with no accountability as long as it all sounds good (the same-old rant has a significant amount of accuracy, by the way), but from concerns that guys like McShay do kids a disservice by pumping up their expectations.

“The problem I have with people like McShay saying stupid things is parents and others who ‘advise’ these kids think McShay knows what he is talking about,” the source said. “And they believe him before they believe the Advisory Committee. Then, when the kids go a lot lower than projected they are pissed and/or depressed. . . . This stuff happens every year and we have to deal with the broken hearts because people who don’t know what they are talking about put visions of grandeur into young players’ heads.”

Clearly a lot of TBD readers do too.

Schefter was the first one to report that Buffalo liked Spiller if my memory serves me correctly. It was only after his report that Charles Davis and others put Spiller to Buffalo in their mocks.

Thats why I am so worked up about it. The Bills last season telgraphed their pick. I dont believe they are trying to hide anything.

Dude the Bills have been in the top 10 the past 10 years and have ZERO players to show for it. Its awfully hard to miss on the top 10 every year but Buffalo manages to do it.

And if you think they cant mess up a top 5 pick, just wait till April.

The Bills have only picked three times inside the top 10 over the last 10 year BTW. 9, 11, 11, 12, 8, 55, 13, 23, 4, and 21

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any comparison. By all accounts I have seen, Locker is a leader,

a tenacious competitor and a tremendous athlete on the same level as Cam

Newton. He has a great arm and played in a pro-style offense. The admittedly

big red flag is his passing accuracy.[/font] The fact that he was surrounded by

inferior talent may be a mitigating factor. I don't know if the accuracy issue

can be fixed or not, but I don't see him as any bigger risk than Newton or any

other QB in the draft, especially if he were available in the top of the 2nd.

Brohm on the other hand isn't a leader and compiled big completion stats in

a contrived offense in the Big East. His arm and athleticsm don't compare at

all to Lockers.

Just my $.02 worth...

All your positve points about Locker are spot on. But the one negative attribute you cite (accuracy) is a killer attribute that is difficult to overcome. In the pros a lack of accuracy is magnified, not diminished, because the open spots are tighter and the decision to throw is quicker. In addition, although Locker is incredibly athletic he is going to have less time to throw than he did in college. So if his accuracy was not impressive in college it is unlikely to go up in the more stressful environment of the pro game.

In baseball, finding flame thrower prospects is very easy to do. There are plenty of them. What is very difficult to find is a power pitcher with impeccable control. The same process applies to a qb prospect such as Locker.

Locker is the type of appealing prospect that makes you want to say if only he didn't have this one problematic issue he would be a terrific player. That is like saying if only this briliant neuro-surgeon didn't have parkinson disease and have shakey hands I would want him operating on me.

I watched 3-4 of Locker's games this year and the 2 biggest things that stuck out to me were:

1.) He is really tough. He took a beating and kept getting up.

2.) his receivers were absolutely aweful. In one game, the one kid dropped the ball on 3 consecutive passes thrown to him.

I'd be fine with Locker in rd2. He reminds me of a younger Fitz with more potential.

I was going to write almost verbatim what you laid out above. Well stated.

1. Played w/ cracked ribs for a portion of the season I believe

2. Since people always point out his bad games, go look at his comeback win against USC this year. Played great w/ a heavy pass rush and on the last few drives, had WRs drop key passes.

3. Yup, I think with a year on the sidelines, he would be where Fitz is already. That's not a knock on Fitz, either. Stronger arm, better athlete, just the accuracy issue.

Edited by stony

All your positve points about Locker are spot on. But the one negative attribute you cite (accuracy) is a killer attribute that is difficult to overcome. In the pros a lack of accuracy is magnified, not diminished, because the open spots are tighter and the decision to throw is quicker. In addition, although Locker is incredibly athletic he is going to have less time to throw than he did in college. So if his accuracy was not impressive in college it is unlikely to go up in the more stressful environment of the pro game.

In baseball, finding flame thrower prospects is very easy to do. There are plenty of them. What is very difficult to find is a power pitcher with impeccable control. The same process applies to a qb prospect such as Locker.

Locker is the type of appealing prospect that makes you want to say if only he didn't have this one problematic issue he would be a terrific player. That is like saying if only this briliant neuro-surgeon didn't have parkinson disease and have shakey hands I would want him operating on me.

I agree. Accuracy, or lack thereof, is a major concern.

Locker would have been a top 10 pick last year and now all of a sudden he is awful? Heck, people here wanted us to draft him last year if he came out!

Actually, he when he realized this was NOT true, he decided to stay another year in school.

He then went on to have an awful year.

Mike Mayock has watched Locker and stated his accuracy can easily be improved with better footwork, I suppose its the difference between Sam Bradford who is deadly accurate in the pocket and started this year for the Rams vs Locker who needs a year to sit and develop. Its also why Mayock states Locker has top ten ability but is a late first rounder because he will need some time to develop. If the guy had Bradfords accuracy in the pocket he would be going #1 overall.

This kid has all the same physical qualities as Cam Newton in that he can run and has killer accuracy outside the pocket (as good as any he has seen, states Mayock) and none of the red flags that Newton has, very much like a Tim Tebow clone who played on a bad team with no receivers. I wouldn't be upset to see the Bills draft this kid in the 2nd round.

Per his 2010 year, it was tweeted by Adam Schefter that an anon GM stated that Locker was a bigger-taller-right handed version of Steve Young. Mel Kiper Jr had Locker rated as the #1 overall for 2011 before and after the 2010 NFL draft. In one game in 2007 he was taken off the field in an ambulance, taken to the hospital and then returned to the game and sideline wearing a neck brace to watch his team, tough kid.

BTW, The advisory committee also stated Mark Sanchez wouldn't get drafted in the first round.... :D

Says the guy who loves "Cash"Newton....

Casserly was also smart enough to draft Mario Williams over Reggie Bush and Vince Young, plus he drafted Andre Johnson-Jerome Mathis-DeMeco Ryans-Owen Daniels while at Houston. The guy has THREE super bowl rings from the time he was with the Washington Redskins as an assistant GM and GM. I'll trust his judgment on knowing the difference between a quality character player and a PoS.

BTW, just FYI, Hall of Fame QB Dan Marino scored a 16 on his wonderlic test.

Mike Mayock also has Jake Locker ahead of Newton and his #2 QB overall in this years draft. He states Locker has top ten ability but has holes in his game, poor pocket awareness and accuracy within the pocket.... LIKE MOST OF US ALREADY STATED!

This point of this thread is moot anyway, Locker won't get past Seattle in the first round.

1.) I do not love the Entertainer and Icon, I just think that the blowhard statements that Newton can't throw are complete nonsense, Newton has Steve McNair type of potential.

2.) Notice I said "when it comes to drafting QBs." with regard to Casserly

3.) Mike Mayock had Jimmy Clausen as the #17 overall prospect last year. Just sayin' when it comes to QBs the Talking heads talk like they know but most are without a history of accurately assessing what actual NFL decision makers do on draft day when it comes to QBs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817695a5&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

You need to watch the games to assess Locker and I honestly don't see how anyone that saw this guy crumble play after play and lose game after game would want him wearing Red, White & Buffalo Blue ever unless they want the Bills to continue to lose. This may be the case as there are some sad sacks on here that only seem to be happy when the team is disarray.

Locker has a better chance to make it at H-Back than QB in the NFL.

If you're so confident that Seattle is going to take Locker why not put your money where your mouth? I'll put up a $100 that Locker is not drafted in the first 25 picks.

BTW what was Red Grange's wonderlic?

Edited by Why So Serious?

Great simile. There are tons of kids that can throw heat, if Locker is struggling with accuracy after 4 years in the minors, and on top of that, in shorts and T-Shirt can hit a target 20 yards out (see Skills competition.) You really have to worry.

Then it's settled. It's clearly obvious that you don't agree with anything the REAL experts have to say or thier opinions and that's perfectly fine with probably most here or anyone for that matter. My question is.... With so much lack of faith and assumptions that the Bills FO will screw up such a high draft pick as they have in the past 10 years... Why are you even following the team and why do you care? It's obvious that you have no faith in them, why don't you just delete your account here an join a Patriots message board?

How did you come to that conclusion? I share the same opinion as the NFL advisory committee. That opinion differs from Todd McShay, Mel Kiper, and geeks who never played football but happen to run NFL draft websites. Please clarify who the "experts" you are referring to are.

Its a moot argument anyways really. I mean look who the Bills have drafted the last 10 years. You could find an anonymous quote from a "10 year veteran, NFL head of college scouting" and he could be a bigger idiot than you or me or Tan McShay - who is to say that scout, whose team has 100% botched their drafts in his entire tenure, has any clue what they are talking about(I am talking about Modrak if you havent figured it out)? My point is that no one is really an expert, some are just better than others.

And the reason I havent stopped following this abysmal team is that I am hopelessly addicted and simply cannot get myself to do it. Trust me I wish I could stop watching them but I can't, I think about it every day. If I could force myself to follow a better team I would. Hell, if I followed the stock market like I follow this team I could afford them when they come up for auction. I would love to have been born into fandom of a team that is good and makes good decisions but thats not what happened and as hard as I have tried I just can't help myself. My only hope is that this team is auctioned off sooner rather than later. That way they either become good (best case), move (second best case as I then will be released from my curse and can stop following them), or they get another sh*t owner who runs the team like sh*t and they continue to suck as they always have (worst case).

Edited by Thoner7

1.) I do not love the Entertainer and Icon, I just think that the blowhard statements that Newton can't throw are complete nonsense, Newton has Steve McNair type of potential.

2.) Notice I said "when it comes to drafting QBs." with regard to Casserly

3.) Mike Mayock had Jimmy Clausen as the #17 overall prospect last year. Just sayin' when it comes to QBs the Talking heads talk like they know but most are without a history of accurately assessing what actual NFL decision makers do on draft day when it comes to QBs.

http://www.nfl.com/d...ts&confirm=true

You need to watch the games to assess Locker and I honestly don't see how anyone that saw this guy crumble play after play and lose game after game would want him wearing Red, White & Buffalo Blue ever unless they want the Bills to continue to lose. This may be the case as there are some sad sacks on here that only seem to be happy when the team is disarray.

Locker has a better chance to make it at H-Back than QB in the NFL.

If you're so confident that Seattle is going to take Locker why not put your money where your mouth? I'll put up a $100 that Locker is not drafted in the first 25 picks.

BTW what was Red Grange's wonderlic?

!)I love how you make stuff up, wtf said anything about Newtons arm strength? I stated that Mayock has him as a QB with top ten ability just like Jake Locker, only the #3 QB BEHIND Locker

2) Notice how he chose DE Mario Williams over the local fan favorite QB in Vince Young, who just won a NC at Texas, and he was chastised by the Texan fans for that pick at the time. My point was, he knows the difference between a player with good character traits, and one with bad. What was Marv Levy's old adage? something like" talent without character will not win in the NFL". Why would you want a player with a shady-criminal history as the face of the franchise? Kicked out of college for cheating on exams 3x times- turned in another students paper with his name on it.... 3 colleges in 3 years.... bought a stolen computer, and he knew it was stolen. Not to mention his father trying to secure $$ up front for his services, which is still under investigation. This guy screams RED FLAG, if all that doesn't bother you... then I would wonder about your character.

3) Mike Mayock had Jimmy Clausen rated as a QB with top ten ability but stated he will need work, and that his biggest question mark was his leadership ability. I wouldn't rush to judge Clausen just yet, they guy played on the worst team in the NFL last year with not much talent around him...kinda like Jake Locker at Washington

You need to listen to what Locker stated about his play last season, he openly stated that last year he would often throw the ball away if the play wasn't there vs trying to make a play with his feet or throw an INT. The kid played on a bad team, and yet took them to a bowl game, and won it.

I do know that there is a lot of local fan pressure for the Seahawks to draft Jake Locker, but why would I make that bet... I'd rather see him drop to the second round so Buffalo can draft him :D

BTW, YOU were one that was flapping about Jake Locker's low score of 20 on his wonderlic test, I merely pointed out that HoFer Dan Marino scored less then Locker did with a 16... so that score of 20 really doesn't mean so much now does it.

Mike Mayock has watched Locker and stated his accuracy can easily be improved with better footwork, I suppose its the difference between Sam Bradford who is deadly accurate in the pocket and started this year for the Rams vs Locker who needs a year to sit and develop. Its also why Mayock states Locker has top ten ability but is a late first rounder because he will need some time to develop. If the guy had Bradfords accuracy in the pocket he would be going #1 overall.

Where I disagree with you is accuracy can be improved but up to a point. You are taking a big risk with someone who has accuracy issues in college and then expect his level of accuracy to sufficiently improve in a more challenging environment. Bradford was deadly accurate in college and it transferred well to the pro game. I'm not sure Locker can upgrade it enough.

Could I be wrong and you right on this issue? Of course. But what I have observed over the years is that a scatter arm qb rarely becomes a consistently pin pointing qb. There will be times that Locker will make a beautiful throw but the question is can he do it on a consistent basis. Being uncertain is what makes me very cautious about picking him.

There is a lot to like about Locker as a player and person. Everything I have heard about him is that he is an inspirational leader. Can he turn out to be an exceptional qb in the NFL? The issue comes down to his ability to improve his accuracy in the pocket. That is where I have my doubts.

This kid has all the same physical qualities as Cam Newton in that he can run and has killer accuracy outside the pocket (as good as any he has seen, states Mayock) and none of the red flags that Newton has, very much like a Tim Tebow clone who played on a bad team with no receivers. I wouldn't be upset to see the Bills draft this kid in the 2nd round.

Cam Newton is an immensely better passer than Locker. CN is more accurate and has a better touch on the ball when it is needed.

BTW, The advisory committee also stated Mark Sanchez wouldn't get drafted in the first round.... :D

Each team has to make its own detailed evaluation of a player it is interested in. An advisory committee by nature and composition is not capable of making the type of assessment that a team would make if it was interested in using a high pick on a qb.

!)I love how you make stuff up, wtf said anything about Newtons arm strength? I stated that Mayock has him as a QB with top ten ability just like Jake Locker, only the #3 QB BEHIND Locker

2) Notice how he chose DE Mario Williams over the local fan favorite QB in Vince Young, who just won a NC at Texas, and he was chastised by the Texan fans for that pick at the time. My point was, he knows the difference between a player with good character traits, and one with bad. What was Marv Levy's old adage? something like" talent without character will not win in the NFL". Why would you want a player with a shady-criminal history as the face of the franchise? Kicked out of college for cheating on exams 3x times- turned in another students paper with his name on it.... 3 colleges in 3 years.... bought a stolen computer, and he knew it was stolen. Not to mention his father trying to secure $$ up front for his services, which is still under investigation. This guy screams RED FLAG, if all that doesn't bother you... then I would wonder about your character.

1.) You called me a Newton Lover, Meaning that you have read previous posts and somehow interpreted my posts as love for Newton. I was simply stating that I did not Love Newton but that the statements filling the pinned Newton post, especially in the beginning before Mayock specifically stated that there is no worry about Newton's ability to throw, were foolish.

2.) No one is talking about Newton except you, you brought it up originally and continue to beat this drum for some reason. Continue with your Master Debating skills.

3) Mike Mayock had Jimmy Clausen rated as a QB with top ten ability but stated he will need work, and that his biggest question mark was his leadership ability. I wouldn't rush to judge Clausen just yet, they guy played on the worst team in the NFL last year with not much talent around him...kinda like Jake Locker at Washington

You need to listen to what Locker stated about his play last season, he openly stated that last year he would often throw the ball away if the play wasn't there vs trying to make a play with his feet or throw an INT. The kid played on a bad team, and yet took them to a bowl game, and won it.

I do know that there is a lot of local fan pressure for the Seahawks to draft Jake Locker, but why would I make that bet... I'd rather see him drop to the second round so Buffalo can draft him :D

BTW, YOU were one that was flapping about Jake Locker's low score of 20 on his wonderlic test, I merely pointed out that HoFer Dan Marino scored less then Locker did with a 16... so that score of 20 really doesn't mean so much now does it.

You won't take the bet because you are a blow-hard that adds zero value to this board. You can't back up your statements with logic or reasoning and when someone calls you to task you start talking about Newton or some other non topic nonsense.

I don't need to listen to Locker's excuses. I watched him play. If you think throwing the ball away when he is under pressure is his major problem you really don't get it.

Nope Wonderlic still matters. You know how I know? Because actual GM's are weary of drafting a QB with a low Wonderlic and on top of that the last 8 Super Bowl winning QBs had an average over 30. The average Wonderlic of all the starting QB's in the NFL in 2010 was 28. So kudos for Marino but Wonderlic still matter. By the way how many Super Bowls did Marino and Kelly win?

Now I remember why you are one of only two people I have on my ignore list. Thanks for the reminder.

Edited by Why So Serious?

You're getting all worked up over a stupid rumor? Seriously?

....and as far as Von miller, he's getting some good press right now. Almost everyone has him going pretty high in this draft. He IS NOT Maybin, so don't get your panties all in a bunch.

You have to understand, Thoner7 is not interest in the Bills as much as he is in 'having company'.

You have to understand, Thoner7 is not interest in the Bills as much as he is in 'having company'.

LMAO :lol:

I still can't figure out why "Boner 7" and "Why So Serious" are not in our FO. Both of you guys bring up the past ten years all the time... Let me ask this way.. What decision did the FO make last year that you two would have done different? I also want to know when you two put your applications in to be part of the FO to make wise decisions. Oh yeah it's those highlights you keep seeing or reading about and not the actual whole game film.... DBAGS!!!!!!

Edited by little buffalo

LMAO :lol:

I still can't figure out why "Boner 7" and "Why So Serious" are not in our FO. Both of you guys bring up the past ten years all the time... Let me ask this way.. What decision did the FO make last year that you two would have done different? I also want to know when you two put your applications in to be part of the FO to make wise decisions. Oh yeah it's those highlights you keep seeing or reading about and not the actual whole game film.... DBAGS!!!!!!

You are just upset because Why So Serious and I know more than you. We get chastised for it at first, but in time everyone starts to see what we saw 3 years ago, once their Bills colored glasses wear off of whatever player the Bills decide to draft. It makes sense really, being a Bills fan you should get angry if somone tells you your recently drafted top 10 pick totally sucks and he already knows it!

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/87928-not-a-bad-first-round/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/125186-i-want-cam-newton/page__st__40

- Scroll to the second post of mine, the one with all the links

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/112491-cj-spillers-highlights/page__st__20

- most people did turn around on Bulaga, no?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/110249-buffalo-in-desparate-need-of-tight-end-production/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/111406-this-guy-is-good/

- I really liked Gronkowski (10TDs and a PB nod). I thouhgt he would last till our third because of injury but as the draft grew closer it was obvious that wasnt the case. I wanted him in the 2nd when it was all said and done. I may have went for Clausen when he lasted that late though.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/112366-i-guess-the-bills-really-dont-think-an-o-line-is-necessary/page__st__20

- I wanted John Jerry in the 3rd, he started every game when healthy for Miami, and went 1 pick after us in the 3rd.

I wasnt a member here in 2008 but I was pissed there wasnt a good DE, I didnt think we needed a CB at all btu had DRC has the best one, and was hoping for OL help, B Albert was the big name at the time - I liked him as a G.

And I actually have emailed Buddy Nix things on the draft. I never heard anything back though.

Edited by Thoner7

Since you've decided to repost your past comments to prove you foresight and supreme eye for talent, we should all use Von Miller as the bar for this season. If I'm correct, you pretty much thinks he'll suck because he weighs 245 and can't stop the run (allegedly) due to your scouting of YouTube videos. Let's revisit this in December.

Hey "Thoner 7", you still can't answer the question can you....... Why are you not working for our FO???? I'm glad you have time to look up all your past post to prove somebody you have never seen wrong... I don't want to hear about your dumb curse either.... Besides your past posts and what you read in articles, what makes you a better evaluator than our FO? Any time in the NFL coaching??? Do you have access to film?? Any of those players that you mention that you wanted over Spiller would have done better with our first year staff??? I really don't see your point with Spiller. O please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Lynch playing the first part of the year because maybe the FO was shopping him? Do you really think that Nix and company thought they were going to a Super Bowl their first year??? Come on Dude!!!!! They knew this is a rebuilding stage from the ground up.... THE GROUND!!!! HENCE RB!!!!!! Can you really say we took a step backwards last year??? I say we went forward. I've said this before, besides the Vikings, Packers, last Patriots and both Jets games, we were in the rest of those games.. Do you disagree???? Please though, make some decsions for our team so we all can see them finally win the BIG ONE!!!

:beer:

On that note I need a beer!

Edited by little buffalo

You are just upset because Why So Serious and I know more than you. We get chastised for it at first, but in time everyone starts to see what we saw 3 years ago, once their Bills colored glasses wear off of whatever player the Bills decide to draft. It makes sense really, being a Bills fan you should get angry if somone tells you your recently drafted top 10 pick totally sucks and he already knows it!

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/87928-not-a-bad-first-round/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/125186-i-want-cam-newton/page__st__40

- Scroll to the second post of mine, the one with all the links

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/112491-cj-spillers-highlights/page__st__20

- most people did turn around on Bulaga, no?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/110249-buffalo-in-desparate-need-of-tight-end-production/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/111406-this-guy-is-good/

- I really liked Gronkowski (10TDs and a PB nod). I thouhgt he would last till our third because of injury but as the draft grew closer it was obvious that wasnt the case. I wanted him in the 2nd when it was all said and done. I may have went for Clausen when he lasted that late though.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/112366-i-guess-the-bills-really-dont-think-an-o-line-is-necessary/page__st__20

- I wanted John Jerry in the 3rd, he started every game when healthy for Miami, and went 1 pick after us in the 3rd.

I wasnt a member here in 2008 but I was pissed there wasnt a good DE, I didnt think we needed a CB at all btu had DRC has the best one, and was hoping for OL help, B Albert was the big name at the time - I liked him as a G.

And I actually have emailed Buddy Nix things on the draft. I never heard anything back though.

Clausen and John Jerry aren't feathers in your cap. The jury is still out on Bulaga (and just because he started on a SB team, it doesn't mean he was worth a high 1st round pick). Brown has done little in Carolina. And Gronkowski had a history of injuries in college and missed his senior season. Reviews on where he should go were mixed, and the Pats gambled and hit. You were right about Orakpo versus Maybin.