Just Splain This 2 Me !!!

T master

Evey new year that comes along in football i always here people :censored: about the preseason games !!

Why should we pay to go see them ?? Why do they even have preseason games it's like high school ball ?? Cut preseason down to 2 games and let's get on with the real thing !!

To me the preseason is to get veterans back up to game speed playing other teams, but more importantly i think it is to see just what your incoming rookies can do while playing against the big boys & evaluate their football skills & knowledge .

Plus i have heard coach Gailey say that they need those games to evaluate those players.

Let me ask you all this, i'm am interested to here some of the responses to this !!

My question to all of you is , if you take those 2 or 3 preseason games away from the coaching staff of each team , how do you expect them to correctly evaluate rookie players , UDFA & FA with less on field playing time against other NFL caliber players ???

I just don't see how taking time away from these guys can allow them to make a correct determination on a rookie or UDFA players skills . You all as fans :censored: at them now if they get it wrong , do you really think with less time to see them play they are going to get it any more right about players than they do now :doh: ???????????????

O.K. Splain that to me !!!! :blink:

Edited by T master

Evey new year that comes along in football i always here people :censored: about the preseason games !!

Why should we pay to go see them ?? Why do they even have preseason games it's like high school ball ?? Cut preseason down to 2 games and let's get on with the real thing !!

To me the preseason is to get veterans back up to game speed playing other teams, but more importantly i think it is to see just what your incoming rookies can do while playing against the big boys & evaluate their football skills & knowledge .

Plus i have heard coach Gailey say that they need those games to evaluate those players.

Let me ask you all this, i'm am interested to here some of the responses to this !!

My question to all of you is , if you take those 2 or 3 preseason games away from the coaching staff of each team , how do you expect them to correctly evaluate rookie players , UDFA & FA with less on field playing time against other NFL caliber players ???

I just don't see how taking time away from these guys can allow them to make a correct determination on a rookie or UDFA players skills . You all as fans :censored: at them now if they get it wrong , do you really think with less time to see them play they are going to get it any more right about players than they do now :doh: ???????????????

Hilarious.

Preseason is, ultimately, for the players. As fans, it is our decision whether we attend these games. They are largely inconsequential aside from establishing depth charts and weeding out the week. I have never attended a pre-season Bills game and don't expect I ever will. That being said, I don't blame them for trying to make a buck. Football, and sports in general, is big business. When was the last time big business didn't try and charge for something?

Edited by VanCity

Preseason is, ultimately, for the players. As fans, it is our decision whether we attend these games. They are largely inconsequential aside from establishing depth charts and weeding out the week. I have never attended a pre-season Bills game and don't expect I ever will. That being said, I don't blame them for trying to make a buck. Football, and sports in general, is big business. When was the last time big business didn't try and charge for something?

Well how many weeks were you thinking about weeding out? Have you thought what that might do to the calendar?

In my opinion if a coach cannot evaluate players without preseason games then they are not much of a coach.

Scrimmaging offense vs defense inside the same team should give them more than enough to evaluate players.

If for some reason they feel the need to see their players against other teams (I have no idea why) then have teams come in for scrimmages like the Browns sometimes do to the Bills training camp or visa verse.

The only reason for preseason games I see is to scam season ticket holders and maybe to give the facility people some live practice prior to opening day.

I agree that preseason is important to the players. The problem for the fans is obvious as no fan should pay full price for a glorified scrimmage.

For season ticket holders the Bills don't charge full price for exhibition games. My tickets have a $55 face value & I pay $48 per game. So if you do the math at $55 per regular season game, the exhibition games are approximately half price. Even for non-season ticket holders, they sell one exhibition game as kid's night at reduced prices.

Now if there are no exhibition games & the season starts on time, we won't be paying anything for preseasons & I'll get a $48 credit for each exhibition game. That's what I'm hoping for.

For season ticket holders the Bills don't charge full price for exhibition games. My tickets have a $55 face value & I pay $48 per game. So if you do the math at $55 per regular season game, the exhibition games are approximately half price.

Every sport, and other things as well, give people a discount for pre-paying. That discount you are rationalizing as half price for exhibition games is simply the pre-payment discount.

Your statement sounds like NFL spin to me.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I agree that preseason is important to the players. The problem for the fans is obvious as no fan should pay full price for a glorified scrimmage.

Exactly. I remember back in the 70's the preseason games were a little less. Then Ralph & others started including them as part of the season ticket package and eventually charged the same price. Greed!!

You are absolutely right. Preseason serves an important purpose; and trying to shorten it down to two games would harm the sport of professional football. You need all the preseason games to evaluate the talent on your roster.

That being said, the owners are too greedy for their own good by charging full price to attend preseason games. Ask anyone whether they'd rather attend a preseason game or a regular season game, and you'll get the same answer every time. If the owners charged a fair price for preseason games (1/3 - 1/2 the price of regular season games), a lot more people would attend. They'd make less money per ticket, but I believe they'd make it up on volume. Plus it would be a chance for people who wouldn't ordinarily spend the money on regular season tickets to nonetheless see an NFL game. That would help bring in new fans--which is good for the league.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

In my opinion if a coach cannot evaluate players without preseason games then they are not much of a coach.

Scrimmaging offense vs defense inside the same team should give them more than enough to evaluate players.

If for some reason they feel the need to see their players against other teams (I have no idea why) then have teams come in for scrimmages like the Browns sometimes do to the Bills training camp or visa verse.

The only reason for preseason games I see is to scam season ticket holders and maybe to give the facility people some live practice prior to opening day.

Your opinion would be great if the coaches were the amazing Kreskin but there not , & if what you said had any truth what so ever to it please explain why John McCargo 1st round pick , Arron Maybin 1st round pick, & Jemarcus Russel 1st round pick along with many others are pretty much all busts to this point in their careers ??

According to what you just posted these guys need NO EVALUATION in games the coaches should just know how good they will be !!!

So i guess what i am saying is - I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH WHAT YOU HAVE ANSWERED TO THIS POST !!! And need i say i'm really glad your a janitor and not an NFL coach !!! (for the Bills at least) Although DJ might be hiring !!

I've even heard players say it's good to get out & play against other players in live situations other than there own team mates trying to play out of (or in a different scheme than they play) there own schemes !

So if you don't like the preseason games DON'T WATCH (which you probably do on TV & :censored:the whole time) AND DON'T GO !! but let those that still don't mind them & the coaches that still use them to better their evaluations do what they think are best for the team & you go watch curling until real football starts !!! :nana:

You are absolutely right. Preseason serves an important purpose; and trying to shorten it down to two games would harm the sport of professional football. You need all the preseason games to evaluate the talent on your roster.

That being said, the owners are too greedy for their own good by charging full price to attend preseason games. Ask anyone whether they'd rather attend a preseason game or a regular season game, and you'll get the same answer every time. If the owners charged a fair price for preseason games (1/3 - 1/2 the price of regular season games), a lot more people would attend. They'd make less money per ticket, but I believe they'd make it up on volume. Plus it would be a chance for people who wouldn't ordinarily spend the money on regular season tickets to nonetheless see an NFL game. That would help bring in new fans--which is good for the league.

I agree on about 99% of what you said !! The only thing with that is , do the cost of actually playing the game - electric - security - and so on go down any ?? just because of it being a preseason game , if they were to do away with say some vendors & be able to also cut some costs for having the game they may pass it on to we the people -- what am i saying no they wouldn't !!!! Any way thank you for your sound reasoning sir !!

No team wants their own players laying out their own players. Scrimmages are helpful, but Jack Tatum, Dick Butkus, and countless others made their status by destroying other teams players.

Less preseason games? I would agree with 2 games, but no more than three should be sufficient.