(OT) Has anyone upgraded to the new AMD chip?

Frez

My last 4 upgrades have been with AMD based chips and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them. Stable as hell and a much better bang for the buck. Especially if your into gaming. I used to be a devoted Intel guy but I thought I would give AMD a shot based on price and Ive never looked back.  Like I said I plan to get this stuff in the next couple weeks so I can let you know how the 64 bit system works iif you like

160647[/snapback]

Well.....I can point AND click. :P

Hi Fez. Im going to upgrade in the next couple weeks. Im getting a:

AMD64 Socket 939 3500+  90 nanometer(new smaller die supposed to run cooler and better overclocker)

See here  http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-103-494&depa=1

Getting a MSI Neo Platinum mobo(also good overclocker)

See here

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-130-468&depa=1

Also a nice heatsink. Good thing about this one is the fan is larger than usual so it doesnt have to spin as fast, resulting in a quieter cooling solution.

See here

http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstor...atalogno=HS-004

My last 4 upgrades have been with AMD based chips and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them. Stable as hell and a much better bang for the buck. Especially if your into gaming. I used to be a devoted Intel guy but I thought I would give AMD a shot based on price and Ive never looked back.  Like I said I plan to get this stuff in the next couple weeks so I can let you know how the 64 bit system works iif you like

160647[/snapback]

That's Frez..........

What do you think of that Asus and AMD combo?

What are you running for a video card? I have the Ge-Force TI-4200 and I love it!

I have upgrade fever and I'm thinking about upgrading to this.

Asus board with AMD 64 bit chip

160644[/snapback]

Have you checked out boards with nForce3 chipsets? nForce4 should be coming out soon as well (if not already). It's apparantly a better chipset, more features, such as PCI-express, etc. At least take a look and make sure that's really what you want.

CW

Have you checked out boards with nForce3 chipsets?  nForce4 should be coming out soon as well (if not already).  It's apparantly a better chipset, more features, such as PCI-express, etc.  At least take a look and make sure that's really what you want.

CW

160653[/snapback]

I have done a little research on that PCI Express and what I have seen it's not as fast as the AGP yet. Maybe it's with the PCI cards?

True or False?

I'll stick with Intel until:

a.) Dell no longer pays me

b.) Dell partners with AMD

:P

160466[/snapback]

#2 is going to happen soon. We have a lot of Dell's at work and were so informed that Dell will be offering AMD based machines, especially in laptop's, after the first of the year.

I have done a little research on that PCI Express and what I have seen it's not as fast as the AGP yet. Maybe it's with the PCI cards?

True or False?

160655[/snapback]

The current video cards are just AGP cards with PCI-E adaptors, so that's why they're slower. From what I understand, the next batch of cards will be PCI-E native and will have a major speed improvement. Something to think about at least.

CW

That's Frez..........

What do you think of that Asus and AMD combo?

What are you running for a video card?

160652[/snapback]

Sorry about the typo Frez. Here is a great review of all the top mobos for amd 64 (Socket 939).

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128&p=1

Im not sure if you are aware but there are two basic flavors of 64 bit cpu's. The older version Socket 754 and the newer standard, Socket 939. Both require their own mobo. So you have to put a Socket 939 in a Socket 939 mobo. Right now the 939's are a bit more expensive. The thing is the Socket 754's are being phased out. They are only going to be upgradable up to 3800 I believe while the Socket 939s will go higher. So if you are the type to want to throw in a stronger chip later this may matter to you. If it doesnt than the 754s will do nicely. Anyway. Sorry for the rambling. I tend to do that when talking about this stuff. In the end you almost never go wrong with a Asus board. They have a reputation for being one of, if not the most stable board around and I think it gets a close second out of nine in that reiview that I posted

Also, in regards to your second question, I have a eVGA Nvidia 6800GT video card.

Hope ive helped you here.

I have upgrade fever and I'm thinking about upgrading to this.

Asus board with AMD 64 bit chip

160644[/snapback]

I have an ASUS K8V with a AMD 64 3200. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Not only is it more than fast enough for anything I throw at it, its also very stable. I've had only one lockup in the four months I've owned it.

Not yet, but I will in a month or two.  I'm looking at building a dual Opteron 246 (or possibly dual Opteron 248, if the price ever comes down a bit).  Most people probably don't need dual CPUs; however, I do video editing and the extra power for rendering would be *very* nice.  Plus, I've been spoiled with my current dual-Xeon 933MHz configuration for the past 3 years... (it was awesome at the time...).

Why do you ask?

CW

160513[/snapback]

Don't waste your time building a dual-proc ssytem when dual-core processors are going to be on the market in one year.

Just curious is anyone has tried the new AMD Athlon 64 Bit Processor?

160462[/snapback]

A guy here at work built a machine with one. I just don't see the bang for the buck yet. Applications aren't yet taking advantage of this.

For my latest system I saved myself a few bucks and got an Athlon XP 3200 on an asus 87N8x-e deluxe mobo.

Since the bottleneck is always the HD at this point, I got two of the 10,000 RPM WD sata drives and I'm setting them up in raid 0. I figure this will do more for me than any processor upgrade would. I/O at the HDD is always a key point in a system. There's a reason servers all have SCSI drives.

Don't waste your time building a dual-proc ssytem when dual-core processors are going to be on the market in one year.

160912[/snapback]

Yeah, but 1) I'd have to wait another year to upgrade, and my current PC is already over 3 years old (remember, dual Xeon 933s...), and 2) they're going to be very expensive when they first come out.

There's always something newer/faster/cheaper down the road, can't wait for everything.

CW

A guy here at work built a machine with one. I just don't see the bang for the buck yet. Applications aren't yet taking advantage of this.

160934[/snapback]

The big improvment and bang for the buck comes from the fact that the memory controller is built into the cpu as apposed to being on the mobo. Yes your right, no real 64 bit apps out there but the performance increase from the onboard memory controller is huge.

The big improvment and bang for the buck comes from the fact that  the memory controller is built into the cpu as apposed to being on the mobo. Yes your right, no real 64 bit apps out there but the performance increase from the onboard memory controller is huge.

160976[/snapback]

But if disk i/o is a bottleneck, it still doesn't matter. I see your point, though.

For my latest system I saved myself a few bucks and got an Athlon XP 3200 on an asus 87N8x-e deluxe mobo.

Since the bottleneck is always the HD at this point, I got two of the 10,000 RPM WD sata drives and I'm setting them up in raid 0. I figure this will do more for me than any processor upgrade would. I/O at the HDD is always a key point in a system. There's a reason servers all have SCSI drives.

160934[/snapback]

Funny I just got the same system although it's an Athlon XP 2600+ :)