(OT) Has anyone upgraded to the new AMD chip?

Frez

I know, I screwed up my topic header! I wish I could fix it.

But those Pacers had way to much glass in them.

160468[/snapback]

I know. But I just couldn't resist. :P

My grandmother (God rest her soul), who I share my birthday with, literally owned every bad American car from the era. Gremlin, Pacer, Pinto, El Camino, you name it. Brutal.

Still, you made me think of her. Thanks. :)

Not yet, but I will in a month or two. I'm looking at building a dual Opteron 246 (or possibly dual Opteron 248, if the price ever comes down a bit). Most people probably don't need dual CPUs; however, I do video editing and the extra power for rendering would be *very* nice. Plus, I've been spoiled with my current dual-Xeon 933MHz configuration for the past 3 years... (it was awesome at the time...).

Why do you ask?

CW

Well......invent one!  :P

160527[/snapback]

But I'm an admin, dear CL, an admin, an admin. I'm an admin, dear CL, an admin not an electrical Engineer! :)

(sung to the tune of, "There's a whole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza)

CW

Guest Guest_Greybeard_*
Not yet, but I will in a month or two.  I'm looking at building a dual Opteron 246 (or possibly dual Opteron 248, if the price ever comes down a bit).  Most people probably don't need dual CPUs; however, I do video editing and the extra power for rendering would be *very* nice.  Plus, I've been spoiled with my current dual-Xeon 933MHz configuration for the past 3 years... (it was awesome at the time...).

Why do you ask?

CW

160513[/snapback]

My son built a Dual Xeon watercooled system for me about 4 months ago. It pretty quick although hard disk access has now become a bottleneck. He likes to tell me that with hyperthreading I really have 4 processors.

But I'm an admin, dear CL, an admin, an admin.  I'm an admin, dear CL, an admin not an electrical Engineer!  :P

(sung to the tune of, "There's a whole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza)

CW

160536[/snapback]

Slacker. You have a couple of days before the next Bills game. Start now, and you should be done by then.

Not yet, but I will in a month or two.  I'm looking at building a dual Opteron 246 (or possibly dual Opteron 248, if the price ever comes down a bit).  Most people probably don't need dual CPUs; however, I do video editing and the extra power for rendering would be *very* nice.  Plus, I've been spoiled with my current dual-Xeon 933MHz configuration for the past 3 years... (it was awesome at the time...).

Why do you ask?

CW

160513[/snapback]

I have upgrade fever and I'm thinking about upgrading to this.

Asus board with AMD 64 bit chip

Hi Fez. Im going to upgrade in the next couple weeks. Im getting a:

AMD64 Socket 939 3500+ 90 nanometer(new smaller die supposed to run cooler and better overclocker)

See here http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-103-494&depa=1

Getting a MSI Neo Platinum mobo(also good overclocker)

See here

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-130-468&depa=1

Also a nice heatsink. Good thing about this one is the fan is larger than usual so it doesnt have to spin as fast, resulting in a quieter cooling solution.

See here

http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstor...atalogno=HS-004

My last 4 upgrades have been with AMD based chips and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them. Stable as hell and a much better bang for the buck. Especially if your into gaming. I used to be a devoted Intel guy but I thought I would give AMD a shot based on price and Ive never looked back. Like I said I plan to get this stuff in the next couple weeks so I can let you know how the 64 bit system works iif you like