Nix Doesnt believe it trading down

Thoner7

the Bills wouldn't be interested in trading the third pick unless the player they covet is gone once the Bills are on the clock. Nix noted he doesn't believe in moving down. That indicates the Bills will not shop the pick.

I noticed this in another article about Newton and the Bills interest in him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26454/is-buffalo-blowing-smoke-on-cam-newton

I cant believe a guy who wants to build through the draft and is a confident drafter wouldnt want to add more picks by trading down.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the Bills wouldn't be interested in trading the third pick unless the player they covet is gone once the Bills are on the clock. Nix noted he doesn't believe in moving down. That indicates the Bills will not shop the pick.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26454/is-buffalo-blowing-smoke-on-cam-newton

I cant believe a guy who wants to build through the draft and is a confident drafter wouldnt want to add more picks by trading down.

You saw how fast they sprinted to the podium last year to select CJ Spiller. It was as if they were competing against another team to make the selection.

Dear Bills Brass,

You own the pick. You are not competing against anyone else. Use some time and see if a great offer rings the phone. Be smart. Above all, with the 3rd pick in the draft (or slightly lower) find us the next Buffalo Bill 1st ballot Hall of Famer...

This isn't news, he said the same thing last year.

This isn't news, he said the same thing last year.

I dont really remember him coming out and saying it like that though. Maybe I dont recall, but it sure is disheartening and doesnt make much sense to me.

So far, Nix has turned a 7-9 team into a 4 -12 team, with holes all over the place.

Nix is on the clock, as this is his 2nd draft.

The team he took over was 6-10 the previous year with one win against the Colts backups, and were there not holes all over the place on that team?

I dont really remember him coming out and saying it like that though. Maybe I dont recall, but it sure is disheartening and doesnt make much sense to me.

I don't think he said it quite as blatantly, but was something more along the lines of needing talented players and therefore as many high picks as possible to obtain these players. Then again it is strange that in the Marshawn trade they took 2 lower picks from Seattle rather than 1 higher from the Saints if this is his philosophy.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

The first rule about pre-draft interviews and statements from teams is it's all bullshat. Don't believe anything they say. If there is a deal to be made and Buddy thinks he can still get his guy a few picks later I suspect he will make that deal. Anyone know if he was part of John Butler's team when San Diego traded down with Atlanta and still got Tomlinson? I'm fairly certain he was there when San Diego traded down with the NY Giants and BTW still getting the better QB in Philip Rivers.

So far, Nix has turned a 7-9 team into a 4 -12 team, with holes all over the place.

Nix is on the clock, as this is his 2nd draft.

With all due respect, Some returning defensive players from '09 had a significant fall-off in performance in 2010.

You saw how fast they sprinted to the podium last year to select CJ Spiller. It was as if they were competing against another team to make the selection.

And we saw just how much of an impact Spiller made as a rookie. :wallbash:

Dear Bills Brass,

You own the pick. You are not competing against anyone else. Use some time and see if a great offer rings the phone. Be smart. Above all, with the 3rd pick in the draft (or slightly lower) find us the next Buffalo Bill 1st ballot Hall of Famer...

And let's all pray the name a former Auburn QB is not on the card presented to the commissioner with that first pick.

With all due respect, Some returning defensive players from '09 had a significant fall-off in performance in 2010.

Does that then put Chan Gailey on the clock?

For those giving the FO grief for supposedly "rushing" the Spiller pick in last draft, come on man.

After the months and months of scouting, interviewing, and analyzing these players, do you really think that the couple of minutes alotted to the teams to get the pick in really matters? They decided long before draft day that if Spiller was available when they picked, he was their guy.

Unless, as Nix said, their consensus top guy is gone, or are entertaining trade offers, what is the point of waiting a couple of minutes to hand the card in? It may seem to some of you as rushing; it doesn't (on its own) suggest they're myopic or don't know what their doing.

For those giving the FO grief for supposedly "rushing" the Spiller pick in last draft, come on man.

After the months and months of scouting, interviewing, and analyzing these players, do you really think that the couple of minutes alotted to the teams to get the pick in really matters? They decided long before draft day that if Spiller was available when they picked, he was their guy.

Unless, as Nix said, their consensus top guy is gone, or are entertaining trade offers, what is the point of waiting a couple of minutes to hand the card in? It may seem to some of you as rushing; it doesn't (on its own) suggest they're myopic or don't know what their doing.

That is exactly the point. They should be considering all offers. The way they sprinted to the podium last year indicates a complete closed mindedness and/or inability to adapt to a dynamic situation. I would certainly hope that Nix being in his second draft as GM will be a bit smarter about it this year. And even if his phone does not ring with a good deal and they use the #3 pick that they at least give other GMs the opportunity to make Nix an offer he can't refuse.

Brian Burke in an interview on last years NHL trade deadline day summed it up well.

Luke Schenn is about as untouchable as any player in the league. But if someone offers me 10 first round picks he is on a plane.

You always, ALWAYS listen to a deal. It costs you nothing and may end up being a big win for you.

Edited by CodeMonkey

In reality, more teams are trying to trade down than trade up. The rookie salary structure is so out of line that there is better value with a lower pick than there is with a very cap expensive early pick.

There are many contentious issues in the CBA negotiations. The rookie salary structure is one area where both sides' interest coincide.

I'm not really sure I get this. He's saying that if they player they want is available at the pick they have, they are going to take him?

Lunatic.

I know, isn't it? The only trades worth considering are trading down a spot or two (so as to not miss-out on the player you really want), but those are very rare.

In reality, more teams are trying to trade down than trade up. The rookie salary structure is so out of line that there is better value with a lower pick than there is with a very cap expensive early pick.

There are many contentious issues in the CBA negotiations. The rookie salary structure is one area where both sides' interest coincide.

If the next CBA does truly include a true rookie cap, trading up will become very popular, although it will also become very expensive in terms of compensation. Teams will want more than they used to ask for to trade down.

If the next CBA does truly include a true rookie cap, trading up will become very popular, although it will also become very expensive in terms of compensation. Teams will want more than they used to ask for to trade down.

We both agree that there would be more trade down deals with a tighter rookie salary structure. But in a salary cap and free agency system draft picks are a valued commodity. So that would establish a more reasonable price equilibrium between the teams seeking to trade down with the teams seeking to move up.