QB Draft for 2012

I'd like to see us emphasizing the defensive front 7 in the early rounds of this year's draft. I think it's not only our biggest need, but will enable us to get better, quicker. If this scenario plays out, what quality QB's might there be for us to get so as to groom our "QB of the future."? Fitz I think can hold down the fort for a few more years. I know there's Andrew Luck, but I don't follow college ball that close. With me its the Bills and the NFL. That's pretty much it. Luck, of course, would be a huge feather in our cap. Any college QB gurus out there that would care to enlighten me on the prospects?

Preciate it.

I'd like to see us emphasizing the defensive front 7 in the early rounds of this year's draft. I think it's not only our biggest need, but will enable us to get better, quicker. If this scenario plays out, what quality QB's might there be for us to get so as to groom our "QB of the future."? Fitz I think can hold down the fort for a few more years. I know there's Andrew Luck, but I don't follow college ball that close. With me its the Bills and the NFL. That's pretty much it. Luck, of course, would be a huge feather in our cap. Any college QB gurus out there that would care to enlighten me on the prospects?

Preciate it.

There is a possibility when luck comes out next season, hes not even the #1 pick. Barkley from USC is an elite QB, who is going to go in the top 5. 3 year starter at USC< very good numbers, has everything you would want. Also Jones from Oklahoma is a junior who could declare. when he stepped in for bradford, there was NO drop off at all. he was the reason many suggested that bradford rushed to get back onto the field after his first injury. if he shines, hes a top 5-10 player in the draft as well. though he plays in a gimmicky offense, case keenum will have been a 4 (5 technically) year starter, who put up 88 tds and 26 ints in the last two years, while compiling above or close to a 70% completion.

then comes in the second tier guys like tannehill from texas A&m. Kellen moore from boise state will be a four year starter who is about drew breeses' height, so that will scare quite a few people off. lindley from san diego state. also, i cant remember his name off hte top of my head but the guy from ohio state. probably a mid round pick unless he really develops. oh, pyror.

there will be guys who come out of nowhere like cam newton again. next years draft is going to be MUCH deeper and a much better place to find a qb flat out compared to this year. this year is a HUGE gamble since every qb prospect has huge warts. id rather wait a year and go full defense but thats just me. im more confident in fitz making a pro bowl than poz.

If he comes out early...

Link - Landry Jones (Oklahoma)

Landry Jones threw for a school bowl-record 429 yards and three touchdowns, and No. 9 Oklahoma ended a five-game BCS bowl losing streak with a 48-20 win over Connecticut in the Fiesta Bowl on Saturday night...Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones is the latest to try and rewrite the Sooner record book. Some might not think the sophomore is as hot an NFL prospect as his predecessor, Sam Bradford, but at least one man might disagree. "He's really come a long way. He's a hard worker, he's talented, he's got a great arm," Stoops said. "He's already shown he's an excellent quarterback, but he has a chance to be one of those elite guys." Former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer seems to agree with Stoops' assessment. "I was sitting with Switzer watching a two-a-day practice and he, you know, evaluates talent pretty well," Stoops said. "We're sitting there for about a half an hour on a cooler watching and he says -- I won't use the two words he starts off with because they're cuss words -- but he says, `Bob, this guy is going to be a first-round draft pick.' That was his assessment of watching a second-year guy, watching his ability and talent."

Also a possibility, and also if he comes out after his junior season...

Link - Darron Thomas (Oregon)

Thomas was not named the starter over Nate Costa until the final week of fall camp, but he has become one of the nation's top signal-callers. He has thrown for [edit] 2,881 yards and 30 touchdowns and run for 486 yards and five touchdowns while being named a finalist for the Manning Award, which is given to the nation's top quarterback...Thomas, a sophomore from Houston, has played an integral role in helping the undefeated Ducks to their first-ever No. 1 ranking in his first season as a starter.

There is a possibility when luck comes out next season, hes not even the #1 pick. Barkley from USC is an elite QB, who is going to go in the top 5. 3 year starter at USC< very good numbers, has everything you would want. Also Jones from Oklahoma is a junior who could declare. when he stepped in for bradford, there was NO drop off at all. he was the reason many suggested that bradford rushed to get back onto the field after his first injury. if he shines, hes a top 5-10 player in the draft as well. though he plays in a gimmicky offense, case keenum will have been a 4 (5 technically) year starter, who put up 88 tds and 26 ints in the last two years, while compiling above or close to a 70% completion.

then comes in the second tier guys like tannehill from texas A&m. Kellen moore from boise state will be a four year starter who is about drew breeses' height, so that will scare quite a few people off. lindley from san diego state. also, i cant remember his name off hte top of my head but the guy from ohio state. probably a mid round pick unless he really develops. oh, pyror.

there will be guys who come out of nowhere like cam newton again. next years draft is going to be MUCH deeper and a much better place to find a qb flat out compared to this year. this year is a HUGE gamble since every qb prospect has huge warts. id rather wait a year and go full defense but thats just me. im more confident in fitz making a pro bowl than poz.

Liked Tannehill a lot kid makes plays and is a winner :thumbsup:

Im hoping we get Luck, by trading up to get him.

we are going to need more draft picks to get him. This coming year we should finish with at lease 6 wins IMO. The 6 wins teams this year are drafting between 6 and 13 if we get 7 wins we are drafting 14 or 15 and so on. These numbers are based of this years draft. So in order to get more pick in the top 5 and grab one of the top QB's next year we are going to have to get more picks to trade up.

That is why I am saying this, and I said it yesterday, trade the number three pick to San Fransico or Miami, Sanfransico for their first this year (7) and their second or third; and if Miami is dealing trade for their number 1 this year (15) and number one next year (probably about the same spot) so you can pile up some picks for next years QB of the future.

I would much rather have Berkley, Jones, or Luck over Newton anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Liked Tannehill a lot kid makes plays and is a winner :thumbsup:

I watch Tannehill a lot to and those are true, he still needs to work on his accuracy some. He always started off shacky and then around the middle of the second quarter found his groove. He is an athlete though. Returned punts had a 100 catch recieving year as a WR his sophomore year, and was an above average QB for them. Plus he is very smart going for some degree is surgery (not sure which one) my point is he is a guy who goes all out he is not a (just enought to get by guy) like most atheletes are. I like him too but unless there is a merical he is a third or fourth rounder at best.

Thanks, Noma. Got a chuckle out of No Saint's response -it seems true that the grass is greener next year. I completely agree all QB's this year have warts and aren't worthy of our early picks, considering our glaring needs on D. 'Just say No' to QB this year.

Thanks, Noma. Got a chuckle out of No Saint's response -it seems true that the grass is greener next year. I completely agree all QB's this year have warts and aren't worthy of our early picks, considering our glaring needs on D. 'Just say No' to QB this year.

You might want to take Noma's post with a grain of salt.

In reality the 2012 QB class is shaping up to be the worst QB class in years, even worse than the weak 2010 class, its still early but doesn't look too hot.

Matt Barkley is listed at 6'2" (read 6'0" and 1/2). You see how big offensive lineman are nowadays? Yes Dree Brees but then who is the next great mini-QB? Unless Matt Barkley has X-Ray eyes its not likely he goes in the top half of the first or really even in the first round. Doesn't matter what he does in 2011 you can't coach height and the NFL is very weary of QB's under 6'4".

There is no one that is going to say Matt Barkley is better than Luck its just kind of clueless and silly to say something like that.

Laundry Jones is an interesting prospect.

Nick Foles out of Arizona is actually the other realistic NFL prospect in the PAC-10 (not Barkley)

Kellen Moore is interesting

Brandon Weeden is a guy that might rise

Then you got Tyrelle Pryor and Jacory Harris. Tannehill, Stephan Garcia, and if Kirk Cousins at Michigan State has another big year. He will be a good top of the second QB prospect, but because the class is so weak he could be pushed into the first.

If you think the 2011 Class has warts, the 2012 QB class has skin cancer (after Luck.)

Edited by Why So Serious?

Im hoping we get Luck, by trading up to get him.

Exactly, that is why I want to swap no1's this year with someone picking at 14 or 15 for 2nd/3rd round picks next year. then you trade those next year with our no 1 to move up and get Luck. We are going to suck this year no matter what we do. So get more front 7 guys this year (this draft is deep with front 7 talent -- don't need to pick no 3 to address this.)

we are going to need more draft picks to get him. This coming year we should finish with at lease 6 wins IMO. The 6 wins teams this year are drafting between 6 and 13 if we get 7 wins we are drafting 14 or 15 and so on. These numbers are based of this years draft. So in order to get more pick in the top 5 and grab one of the top QB's next year we are going to have to get more picks to trade up.

That is why I am saying this, and I said it yesterday, trade the number three pick to San Fransico or Miami, Sanfransico for their first this year (7) and their second or third; and if Miami is dealing trade for their number 1 this year (15) and number one next year (probably about the same spot) so you can pile up some picks for next years QB of the future.

I would much rather have Berkley, Jones, or Luck over Newton anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

I watch Tannehill a lot to and those are true, he still needs to work on his accuracy some. He always started off shacky and then around the middle of the second quarter found his groove. He is an athlete though. Returned punts had a 100 catch recieving year as a WR his sophomore year, and was an above average QB for them. Plus he is very smart going for some degree is surgery (not sure which one) my point is he is a guy who goes all out he is not a (just enought to get by guy) like most atheletes are. I like him too but unless there is a merical he is a third or fourth rounder at best.

Who thought Gabbert would be the top QB prospect.

You might want to take Noma's post with a grain of salt.

In reality the 2012 QB class is shaping up to be the worst QB class in years, even worse than the weak 2010 class, its still early but doesn't look too hot.

Matt Barkley is listed at 6'2" (read 6'0" and 1/2). You see how big offensive lineman are nowadays? Yes Dree Brees but then who is the next great mini-QB? Unless Matt Barkley has X-Ray eyes its not likely he goes in the top half of the first or really even in the first round. Doesn't matter what he does in 2011 you can't coach height and the NFL is very weary of QB's under 6'4".

There is no one that is going to say Matt Barkley is better than Luck its just kind of clueless and silly to say something like that.

Laundry Jones is an interesting prospect.

Nick Foles out of Arizona is actually the other realistic NFL prospect in the PAC-10 (not Barkley)

Kellen Moore is interesting

Brandon Weeden is a guy that might rise

Then you got Tyrelle Pryor and Jacory Harris. Tannehill, Stephan Garcia, and if Kirk Cousins at Michigan State has another big year. He will be a good top of the second QB prospect, but because the class is so weak he could be pushed into the first.

If you think the 2011 Class has warts, the 2012 QB class has skin cancer (after Luck.)

so wait, you say that matt barkley is too short but then say kellen moore, who is listed at 6'0" is interesting? its true though, three year starters at USC who put up good to great numbers usually have a hard time getting drafted. also, hes known as a book worm, who had a 3.77 GPA in school before college. he also plays acustic guitar in his church youth group and his family started a foundation to help renovate millitary bases on a volunteer basis. he has all the talent and also all the intangibles. theres no real questions. he might not measure out well when he gets to a combine, but a good person who is a productive 3 year starter at a top school is going to get some looks. especially with his arm.

To the point of barkely being picked before luck, how many people saw the crumbling of jake locker? he went for sure fire #1 overall pick, to second or third round prospect in one year. things can happen. luck is going with a new coaching scheme, and will have a big target on his back.

Laundry Jones is more than an interesting prospect. lets say he has the exact same year he had last year. that makes him a career 64% comp guy with 102 tds 38 ints, and close to 15,000 yards in the same offense as the #1 overall pick in sam bradford. with a much worse supporting cast. he might end up being the best of the bunch. that makes three sure fire first round picks, with minimal warts. (luck, barkley, jones). you added nick foles, who i forgot, and who might be one of the more prototypical qbs in the draft. he will probably end up climbing like gabbert did where at the end of the season, half the message board will wonder who he was and where he came from. then again, he might end up being ricki stanzi.

jacoby harris probably isnt going to end up playing much next season. he is undraftable at this point. he was benched when it mattered most for his team, and just throws up ducks whenever he feels like it, leading to too many ints. Garcia and Cousins have an outside chance of being 2-3 round material. if a light goes on for Cousins, maybe even more, but i doubt it. to say that the 2012 class is comperable to cancer, and to only respond with barkley is two inches shorter than he says he is and then labeling the other prospects as interesting, is a little meh. if you have reasons, im more than happy to discuss it. i love a good football conversation with someone who knows their stuff (and you clearly do).

so wait, you say that matt barkley is too short but then say kellen moore, who is listed at 6'0" is interesting? its true though, three year starters at USC who put up good to great numbers usually have a hard time getting drafted. also, hes known as a book worm, who had a 3.77 GPA in school before college. he also plays acustic guitar in his church youth group and his family started a foundation to help renovate millitary bases on a volunteer basis. he has all the talent and also all the intangibles. theres no real questions. he might not measure out well when he gets to a combine, but a good person who is a productive 3 year starter at a top school is going to get some looks. especially with his arm.

To the point of barkely being picked before luck, how many people saw the crumbling of jake locker? he went for sure fire #1 overall pick, to second or third round prospect in one year. things can happen. luck is going with a new coaching scheme, and will have a big target on his back.

Laundry Jones is more than an interesting prospect. lets say he has the exact same year he had last year. that makes him a career 64% comp guy with 102 tds 38 ints, and close to 15,000 yards in the same offense as the #1 overall pick in sam bradford. with a much worse supporting cast. he might end up being the best of the bunch. that makes three sure fire first round picks, with minimal warts. (luck, barkley, jones). you added nick foles, who i forgot, and who might be one of the more prototypical qbs in the draft. he will probably end up climbing like gabbert did where at the end of the season, half the message board will wonder who he was and where he came from. then again, he might end up being ricki stanzi.

jacoby harris probably isnt going to end up playing much next season. he is undraftable at this point. he was benched when it mattered most for his team, and just throws up ducks whenever he feels like it, leading to too many ints. Garcia and Cousins have an outside chance of being 2-3 round material. if a light goes on for Cousins, maybe even more, but i doubt it. to say that the 2012 class is comperable to cancer, and to only respond with barkley is two inches shorter than he says he is and then labeling the other prospects as interesting, is a little meh. if you have reasons, im more than happy to discuss it. i love a good football conversation with someone who knows their stuff (and you clearly do).

Mark Sanchez, Matt Leinhert, and Carson Palmer is a great college lineage and a good NFL lineage, Leinhert being the big bust, that could still one day catch on somewhere (doubtful).

I say that Barkley is 6'0and 1/2" in real life because I have seen him stand next to Luck, Locker, and Foles in an ESPN best QB in the Pac10 bit they did last year and he was clearly the munchkin in the group.

Mark Sacnhez was listed at 6'3" at USC and came in under that at the combine. http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sanchez_mark00.html

So Barkley actually being under 6'2" is realistic, although he is still a young man, he could still be growing. He could go top half of the first but if he really does come in around 6'1" he'll probably go around where Brees went, #32 overall.

Just saying if you put up Newton, Mallet, Gabbert, Ponder, Kaepernick to Luck, Barkley, Jones, Garcia, and Foles.

I'm taking 2011 all day long, even with the best QB prospect to come out in years and maybe decades. The Extra year at Standford with the same OC is only going to make Luck that much stronger. It sounds like an exageration but he would seriously have to have an amputation not to go #1 overall. A knee, ankle, or shoulder injury isn't going to drop him a la Bradford.

By the way Locker was never in discussion for the 1st overall, thats draftnick hyperbole. If there was ever any talk about 1st round prospect it was before his Junior year, He had a bad Junior year. He went to the draft advisory board last year and asked where he will be drafted and they have him a 3rd round grade. Locker went back to school to improve his rating, he failed at that. I personally doubt Locker goes in the 1st two rounds again this year. I'm thinking he goes 3rd day and the false legend of the #1 overall lives on.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Noma, thanks a lot for sharing the knowledge/info. Great job. Now I have a better idea about the QB situation coming into next year's draft. Thanks again for taking the time. RWR