Robert Quinn DE UNC, #1 overall pick

balln

Well this was a good thread, but now its just simply arguing about arguing...on to the next...

If responding to others' posts--more specifcally those that depict a willingness to engage in a discussion--ruins a thread, then I guess I'm a thread-wrecking fool.

Maybe I'll just stay out of the threads that involve opinion altogether...though I suppose I wouldn't have much use for the board then.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to see the Bills take Quinn at #3. A year away from football should not scare you as long as he has been working out. Vick was out for several years, and TB WR Mike Williams also basically missed a year and had a great rookie year.

Take Quinn in 1st Round, then grab Romeous from Pitt in a later round. Those two will be studs for years to come. The QB class is deep, i'd take any of the following: Locker, Ponder, Dalton; all of whom should be available after Rd. 1.

Edited by RyanC883

Would love to see the Bills take Quinn at #3. A year away from football should not scare you as long as he has been working out. Vick was out for several years, and TB WR Mike Williams also basically missed a year and had a great rookie year.

Take Quinn in 1st Round, then grab Romeous from Pitt in a later round. Those two will be studs for years to come. The QB class is deep, i'd take any of the following: Locker, Ponder, Dalton; all of whom should be available after Rd. 1.

if he stayed healthy, its a year less of hitting, injuries etc.... which isnt a terrible thing. it all depends how he spent that time though. he could have trained with guys that know what they are doing etc. which isnt a substitute for playing time, but isnt as bad as the guy that was lazy and did just enough to get bye and not look terrible. ie. he could have still grown as a player but without getting a year of head on collisions and chop blocks. id take his year off over sam bradfords "year off."

if he stayed healthy, its a year less of hitting, injuries etc.... which isnt a terrible thing. it all depends how he spent that time though. he could have trained with guys that know what they are doing etc. which isnt a substitute for playing time, but isnt as bad as the guy that was lazy and did just enough to get bye and not look terrible. ie. he could have still grown as a player but without getting a year of head on collisions and chop blocks. id take his year off over sam bradfords "year off."

All things being equal, you're right, it could actually be a good thing. I guess I have the same issue with Quinn as I do guys like Bowers and Fairley, which is that I'd like to have seen more than 1 good season. In my mind, there's something to be said for producing consistently from year to year; it's gotta make a GM feel more comfortable than if the same player had only 1 solid year.

It's why guys like Dareus, A.J. Green, Von Miller, and the two CBs (Peterson and Amukamara) strike me as safer picks than the more heralded athletes like Quinn, Bowers, Fairley, and Newton.

But thems are the breaks I suppose...guess that's why guys like Buddy Nix get paid to do what they do.

Edited by thebandit27

The incessant moralizing over every guy who wasn't a boyscout his whole life makes me want to eat my brain. Seems a lot of guys here subscribe to the Tavis Smiley theory of mirrored equality where murder and stealing a bag of chips are equal because they're both knowingly breaking the rules. Breaking it down to another level of discernment breaks our comforting illusion of certainty that we futilely and pathetically cling to for a false sense of comfort.

The incessant moralizing over every guy who wasn't a boyscout his whole life makes me want to eat my brain. Seems a lot of guys here subscribe to the Tavis Smiley theory of mirrored equality where murder and stealing a bag of chips are equal because they're both knowingly breaking the rules. Breaking it down to another level of discernment breaks our comforting illusion of certainty that we futilely and pathetically cling to for a false sense of comfort.

I'm hardly intending to make that argument. All I was trying to say is that a team needs to consider whether or not Quinn's lack of judgement in his NCAA rules violation is an indication that he could be a potential rule violator on the next level.

As for your subsequent social commentary, well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion...

I'm hardly intending to make that argument. All I was trying to say is that a team needs to consider whether or not Quinn's lack of judgement in his NCAA rules violation is an indication that he could be a potential rule violator on the next level.

As for your subsequent social commentary, well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion...

It wasn't specifically directed at you or particular to this thread, although I think I did use your words, but more in response to an attitude that rears it's head with great regularity.

As for the commentary, everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Edited by Rob's House

It wasn't specifically directed at you or particular to this thread, although I think I did use your words, but more in response to an attitude that rears it's head with great regularity.

Fair enough. For the record, I do agree that a guy with say, for example, a domestic battery or armed robbery charge should be of much greater concern than a guy with an NCAA rules violation. As in, the former you might remove from your board completely, the latter you might drop down your board a few slots if you felt it was a precursor to future incidents.

As to the commentary, everyone is entitled to my opinion.

LOL :thumbsup: