No QBs this draft!

Haplo848

What I learn from threads like this

-If you draft a QB in the 1st round, he needs to start day 1 or it was a stupid pick. :wallbash:

-If we draft a defensive player like Dareus or Fairley, our defense will completely turn around in terms of production. :wallbash:

-There is only 1 round in the NFL draft. So if we draft QB in the 1st round, there's no other opportunity to address any other need. :wallbash:

-Just because we draft a defensive player, he'll be able to start day 1 without having much of a learning curve. :wallbash:

-OP's try and base their arguments around not taking a player at #3 even though that player was NEVER good enough/rumored to ever go that high. :wallbash:

-Cam Newton will bust because he is Vince Young. :wallbash:

-Guys who play defense never bust in the NFL. :wallbash:

*All these points may or may not have been the subject of OP's thread nor do they represent what he thinks.

:worthy::thumbsup: Well said, sir!

Since Jimbo retired, this is only the 2nd time the Bills have had a top 5 draft pick. I think they would be crazy not to use the #3 pick on Newton or Gabbert, whichever one they have rated higher on their draft board. By the time any rookies sign their contracts from this year's draft, there will be a new collective bargaining agreement, so the Bills will not have to risk over paying either one. And they still have the number 3 pick in the following 6 rounds to beef up their weaknesses on defense and tight end and the O-line.

Wait until the Pats lose Brady, they won't be able to "plug their rookies in and win games"

We did the same thing when we had Kelly.

Good teams can plugs a rookie or two in and be fine. Buffalo is not a good team.

My original point to the OP was that I don't care if our #1 picks starts from day one. I care if he has a successful 10yr career as a Bill.

I don't know why I don't hear more of this in the media. You take away Tom Brady and the Pats are a .500 team. Yea , okay , they had Cassel who led them to a playoff berth , right? Yea , he also went on to start on the Chiefs and put together a Pro Bowl worthy season.

Belichek has had a horseshoe up his ass since he joined the Pats as far as quarterbacks go , that and a little cheating.

As far as Chan and Co. go , I totally trust them to make the best decision regarding the 3rd overall pick , simply because I have no reason not to, yet. If they feel Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert have potential to be a true franchise QB , then I support it 100% (not like it matters).

Personally , I'd love to see us draft Marcell Dareus and let Fitz show what he can do entering the season as a true #1 QB. If he pans out , then great. If not , we have options in the 2012 draft , which will prospectively feature a much richer QB class.

Edited by stevecana

As much as fans and media want it to be true, the draft is not intended to immediate impact. The draft is where team stock themselves with players whom they feel with have the greatest longterm impact.

As far as the player they draft in the first round needing to start immediately, that is not true. It would be great if that happened, but that is not common for the Bills. They've had very high picks in the last several years and most did not start immediately, if ever (see Spiller, Maybin, McKelvin, etc)

Correct. And I don't mind if we repeat this past season next year. The fans will whine, but who cares- they will whine anyways

I don't know why I don't hear more of this in the media. You take away Tom Brady and the Pats are a .500 team. Yea , okay , they had Cassel who led them to a playoff berth , right? Yea , he also went on to start on the Chiefs and put together a Pro Bowl worthy season.

Wait, help me understand this logic.

You think the Patriots without Brady are a .500 Team

The Patriots without Brady in fact went 11-5

Therefore it's proven the Patriots without Brady are a .500 team

I'm so confused.

Wait, help me understand this logic.

You think the Patriots without Brady are a .500 Team

The Patriots without Brady in fact went 11-5

Therefore it's proven the Patriots without Brady are a .500 team

I'm so confused.

I think I can help... without brady they had another qb deemed to be a franchise signal caller play in his place. The good teams can plug in rookies and the mistakes they make are covered by the good players around them. Or best case they can sit and learn behind quality veterans and not have an entire fan base expect the world from them first snap.

What I learn from threads like this

-If you draft a QB in the 1st round, he needs to start day 1 or it was a stupid pick. :wallbash:

-If we draft a defensive player like Dareus or Fairley, our defense will completely turn around in terms of production. :wallbash:

-There is only 1 round in the NFL draft. So if we draft QB in the 1st round, there's no other opportunity to address any other need. :wallbash:

-Just because we draft a defensive player, he'll be able to start day 1 without having much of a learning curve. :wallbash:

-OP's try and base their arguments around not taking a player at #3 even though that player was NEVER good enough/rumored to ever go that high. :wallbash:

-Cam Newton will bust because he is Vince Young. :wallbash:

-Guys who play defense never bust in the NFL. :wallbash:

*All these points may or may not have been the subject of OP's thread nor do they represent what he thinks.

Thank you so much for this post. There are only a few examples of stud qbs not taken in the first round however there are so many players at every other position that excel taken in later rounds.

We have a qb and an above average one at that however he's not a franchise build your team around type. Doesn't it make sense to take one let him learn while building the rest of the team up. We have 8 picks in this draft along with the deepest fa pool (depending on cba outcome) ever as all the players who were restricted even after their 4 years will be fa.