WECK 1230 vs. WGR 550

i would guess maher vs miller thing that we kinds started is based on their respective political slant. it just boils down to liberal vs conservative, not so much the merits of their comedic talent.

Maher has zero comedic talent. None at all. I can laugh at comedians on either side of the aisle, but in all the years I watched Maher's ABC show, seen clips of him, etc., he is not the least bit funny.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maher has zero comedic talent. None at all. I can laugh at comedians on either side of the aisle, but in all the years I watched Maher's ABC show, seen clips of him, etc., he is not the least bit funny.

i am glad you said that. aside from his political ideology being not to my taste, he isnt funny, not creative, just has smarmy way about him, very smug, much like larry quinn! i do laugh at comedians from both sides of the aisle. larry david, liberal as they come in his private life, is absolutely brillant!, by far, the most talented writer, producer, performer going!

Edited by dwight in philly

Politics not withstanding, glad to see the focus of this thread shift back to the Buffalo sports talk aspect. In my view, Riter and WECK scored a major coup in getting Nick Mendola to shift away from WGR. I doubt very much that Riter would want to lure Schopp away, but I could envision the Bulldog jumping ship if the details could be worked out. You can almost hear his disdain for Schopp on the air, and his true talents are essentially being smothered.

If WGR loses others, I am convinced that their plan would be to bring back Mike Maniscalco or promote some other greenhorn to introduce replayed segments of the Howard Simon show all afternoon. As if once isn't enough.

Riter's manifesto (linked at the top) is well worth a listen; it has a Tebow/Ron Livingston-in-Office-Space kind of feel to it that I really enjoyed. I wish Brad and WECK the best, and hope to see an improved local sports radio landscape if from nothing more than some good old-fashioned competition.

As both myself, and Metzelaars said, neither of us think he (Maher) is particularly funny...not in a laugh out loud kind of way...what he and Larry David do are completely different...it is like arguing that Don Beebe is not a good hockey player...Maher and Miller is an much more valid comparison. David is very liberal in his personal life, by all accounts, but his political leanings are not part of his comedy, normally. Funny (again, not in a laugh out loud kind of way) that you think Maher is "smarmy", but you like Dennis Miller...he wrote the book on smarm...oh well, as you said, sort of, ones man smarm is another man's charm.

Exactly. There isn't a person I've ever met whose socio-political views line up closer to mine than Bill Maher's. That being said, I can even see why someone from the other side could find him "smarmy," egotistical, condescending, pedantic, etc. But how in the world could anyone not the same things about Dennis Miller? They really are the mirror images of eachother on opposite sides. The only difference is that Dennis Miller is literally the only conservative intellectual on television, while there are hundreds of intellectual liberals to choose from. Oh no, does that make me an elitist?

i am glad GR has competition at last, not sure to the degree yet. the shameless praise of the sabres while bashing the bills is so transparent it is sickening! is there anybody alive who wants to listen to schopp and bulldog have a actors and actresses draft?..

I listen to Simon in the morning for about an hour every day, and Schoop/Bulldog a few times a week...they have little good to say about the Bills, that is true (but how much good is there to say the last few years), but I think you are mistaken if you think they just praise the Sabres endlessly...Schoop, in particular (and, ironically, the one everyone seems to hate the most) always questions the Sabres motives, and constantly questions Ruff and Regers effectiveness. Sure, they may give the Sabres a little more creedence, as it is their cash cow, but they are pretty criticle of them, when it is warrented. I don't know, so I ask seriously, does 97Rock trash the Bills?

Exactly. There isn't a person I've ever met whose socio-political views line up closer to mine than Bill Maher's. That being said, I can even see why someone from the other side could find him "smarmy," egotistical, condescending, pedantic, etc. But how in the world could anyone not the same things about Dennis Miller? They really are the mirror images of eachother on opposite sides. The only difference is that Dennis Miller is literally the only conservative intellectual on television, while there are hundreds of intellectual liberals to choose from. Oh no, does that make me an elitist?

no, just very judgmental!

I listen to Simon in the morning for about an hour every day, and Schoop/Bulldog a few times a week...they have little good to say about the Bills, that is true (but how much good is there to say the last few years), but I think you are mistaken if you think they just praise the Sabres endlessly...Schoop, in particular (and, ironically, the one everyone seems to hate the most) always questions the Sabres motives, and constantly questions Ruff and Regers effectiveness. Sure, they may give the Sabres a little more creedence, as it is their cash cow, but they are pretty criticle of them, when it is warrented. I don't know, so I ask seriously, does 97Rock trash the Bills?

The funny thing is if you go down lower in the forums here and go to SabresSpace, they think that GR criticizes the Sabres too much!

The funny thing is if you go down lower in the forums here and go to SabresSpace, they think that GR criticizes the Sabres too much!

i agree, those folks on sabrespace are tough on the the buffalo news, bucky gleason etc, anyone who criticizes the sabres. i live and die for both the sabres and bills, but feel the sabres have gotten much better press than the bills. granted, the bills continually shoot themselves in the foot, but the sabres spin the same sh-t year after year and seem very disengenous.

Politics not withstanding, glad to see the focus of this thread shift back to the Buffalo sports talk aspect. In my view, Riter and WECK scored a major coup in getting Nick Mendola to shift away from WGR. I doubt very much that Riter would want to lure Schopp away, but I could envision the Bulldog jumping ship if the details could be worked out. You can almost hear his disdain for Schopp on the air, and his true talents are essentially being smothered.

If WGR loses others, I am convinced that their plan would be to bring back Mike Maniscalco or promote some other greenhorn to introduce replayed segments of the Howard Simon show all afternoon. As if once isn't enough.

Riter's manifesto (linked at the top) is well worth a listen; it has a Tebow/Ron Livingston-in-Office-Space kind of feel to it that I really enjoyed. I wish Brad and WECK the best, and hope to see an improved local sports radio landscape if from nothing more than some good old-fashioned competition.

God, I hope not. Maniscalco was on AM 910 for several years here in Richmond and I couldn't stand him. Although he's from Buffalo, he's a Minnesota Viking and NY Ranger fan. How do you grow up in WNY and not like at least one of their pro teams? He never said anything worthwhile about the Bills or Sabres and took many shots at them. He said several times on-air that (paraphrasing) "Buffalo was not a hockey town but liked to think it was." WTF?? Now he's in Raleigh, NC covering the Hurricanes' pre- & postgame shows. Raleigh...great hockey town, right, Maniscalco? They can have him. I hope he never goes within 500 miles of WNY and I hope he never resurfaces in Richmond, either.

bill maher is funny??? , i guess, if you think elitist humor is , miller is a guy i would love to have a beer with. loved him on monday night football, maher, probably thinks football is mindless, played by greedy athletes who would be better served working in the peace corps ..usual liberal drivel.."I'm now a conservative" mea culpa. , miller stated he became one after 9/11.

You can have a beer with Miller. i'd rather get high with Maher and laugh MAO. Football is mindless and it is a child's game played by men that don't have to grow up. It is watched by idiots like us that would rather watch mindless sports than actually do something to make our lives better. In the end the players and owners make way too much money off idiots like us. If football is cancelled for a year it won't matter just as losing baseball for a year back in the 80'sor 90's did not matter and everyone got on with their life. Personally I think it would do the country good to be without football for a year.

God, I hope not. Maniscalco was on AM 910 for several years here in Richmond and I couldn't stand him. Although he's from Buffalo, he's a Minnesota Viking and NY Ranger fan. How do you grow up in WNY and not like at least one of their pro teams? He never said anything worthwhile about the Bills or Sabres and took many shots at them. He said several times on-air that (paraphrasing) "Buffalo was not a hockey town but liked to think it was." WTF?? Now he's in Raleigh, NC covering the Hurricanes' pre- & postgame shows. Raleigh...great hockey town, right, Maniscalco? They can have him. I hope he never goes within 500 miles of WNY and I hope he never resurfaces in Richmond, either.

Sounds perfect for WGR. A talk host who hates the local teams.

PTR

That explains why he was such an ahole when he was GR. It was at a time when every single one of them, esp. the weekend guys were just all negative all the time.

You can have a beer with Miller. i'd rather get high with Maher and laugh MAO. Football is mindless and it is a child's game played by men that don't have to grow up. It is watched by idiots like us that would rather watch mindless sports than actually do something to make our lives better. In the end the players and owners make way too much money off idiots like us. If football is cancelled for a year it won't matter just as losing baseball for a year back in the 80'sor 90's did not matter and everyone got on with their life. Personally I think it would do the country good to be without football for a year.

i could not have made my case better!, thanks for the post! i could not have put it in better terms of how i surmised maher and his followers felt!

Interesting to hear about his whereabouts, but I was just kidding about bringing Maniscalco back. He was/is my definition of unlistenable.

i am glad you said that. aside from his political ideology being not to my taste, he isnt funny, not creative, just has smarmy way about him, very smug, much like larry quinn! i do laugh at comedians from both sides of the aisle. larry david, liberal as they come in his private life, is absolutely brillant!, by far, the most talented writer, producer, performer going!

I have never figured out Mahar's popularlity ... 'smarmy' is probably a perfect word (non-word) for him.

Yes, Larry David brings a lot of funny stuff to the table ... I could care less about entertainers political views and whether they are right wing fools or liberal ... because they are entertainers I want them to be good at what they do.

Frankly the Bulldog has had his day ... dogs age 7 times faster than humans and neither he nor Schopp are worth listening to, which is a shame because there are a lot of Buffalo fans around the country like me who would love to hear a quality Buffalo sports radio talk show online. But Bulldog loves his little lists just like Schopp does and neither contributes any knowledge or insight or even entertaining commentary into the Buffalo sports scene.

i could not have made my case better!, thanks for the post! i could not have put it in better terms of how i surmised maher and his followers felt!

You disagree with his post? I thought it was well-put. Are you acknowledging that you suck from the teet which is NFL football and you need it to make your life whole? I can't believe I came in this morning and this thread was still going. Once and for all: No one says that Bill Maher is as as funny as Mitch Hedberg or Jim Gaffigan or Jim Jeffries or Richard Pryor or Chris Rock. No one! Let it go. What I've said in every post about this stupid topic is that his show is very informative, his panel always has fantastic credentials (aside from the occasional dim-witted movie star) and it is a good news/opinion show. Bill Maher is extremely quick on the trigger; I would go so far as to say he can be brilliant at times. George Will was also brilliant at one time. No one was confusing him with Chevy Chase. You could say the same thing about Dennis Miller, as much as I loathe him, he clearly has a wealth of knowledge with respect to trivial, obscure 20th century references. Please end this. And Go Bills.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

You disagree with his post? I thought it was well-put. Are you acknowledging that you suck from the teet which is NFL football and you need it to make your life whole? I can't believe I came in this morning and this thread was still going. Once and for all: No one says that Bill Maher is as as funny as Mitch Hedberg or Jim Gaffigan or Jim Jeffries or Richard Pryor or Chris Rock. No one! Let it go. What I've said in every post about this stupid topic is that his show is very informative, his panel always has fantastic credentials (aside from the occasional dim-witted movie star) and it is a good news/opinion show. Bill Maher is extremely quick on the trigger; I would go so far as to say he can be brilliant at times. George Will was also brilliant at one time. No one was confusing him with Chevy Chase. You could say the same thing about Dennis Miller, as much as I loathe him, he clearly has a wealth of knowledge with respect to trivial, obscure 20th century references. Please end this. And Go Bills.

Yeah, thers is no point... :cry:

yes, i am a football addict.. cannot help it. totally devoted to the buffalo bills, could care less about world peace or other issues . but that is just me, and like always, i agree with you on this point.. GO BILLS! (btw, who is mitch hedberg , jim gaffigan?, never heard of them)