Jay Feeley on Sirius NFL Radio discussing CBA talks

LabattBlue

The players are delusional. Feeley was crying about how the NFLPA knows how much revenues the owners are getting, but they don't know the owners costs. Therefore, they don't know how much of a profit the owners are making, insinuating that the bigger the profit, the more the players should get.

WTF world are they living in where you demand a bigger salary based on your employers bottom line?

Then he went on to piss and moan about how if they are locked out, they will have to pay for their own health insurance, blah, blah, blah. BOO FREAKIN' HOO!

Even if it means losing the season, I hope the owners lock them out and make them eventually come crawling back.

:censored: :censored:

Edited by LabattBlue

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The players are delusional. Feeley was crying about how the NFLPA knows how much revenues the owners are getting, but they don't know the owners costs. Therefore, they don't know how much of a profit the owners are making, insinuating that the bigger the profit, the more the players should get.

WTF world are they living in where you demand a bigger salary based on your employers bottom line?

Then he went on to piss and moan about how if they are locked out, they will have to pay for their own health insurance, blah, blah, blah. BOO FREAKIN' HOO!

Even if it means losing the season, I hope the owners lock them out and make them eventually come crawling back.

Umm, isn't that what a lot of people do. I know at my job when we have a great year and I'm a part of that success I usually get a raise or bonus of some sort.

So in the great dispute between the Billionaires and the Millionaires you side with the Billionaires....got ya. :rolleyes:

Umm, isn't that what a lot of people do. I know at my job when we have a great year and I'm a part of that success I usually get a raise or bonus of some sort.

Your boss/owner of your company gives you a bonus/raise or you demand to see the books and then make your own determination what your raise/bonus should be?

Sorry, but I don't feel sorry for these guys at all. Because of their athletic talent, they received a 4 year degree at some of the best colleges in the country(If they didn't, shame on them), and are being paid a kings ransom to play a game they love.

F*** THEM.

One more point...

Without the owners, the NFL players would be no different than 99% of all NCAA athletes. Looking for a real job when their college days were over.

They just don't know how good they have it.

Edited by LabattBlue

Your boss/owner of your company gives you a bonus/raise or you demand to see the books and then make your own determination what your raise/bonus should be?

Sorry, but I don't feel sorry for these guys at all. Because of their athletic talent, they received a 4 year degree at some of the best colleges in the country(If they didn't, shame on them), and are being paid a kings ransom to play a game they love.

F*** THEM.

One more point...

Without the owners, the NFL players would be no different than 99% of all NCAA athletes. Looking for a real job when their college days were over.

They just don't know how good they have it.

the more the players talk the more i start to lean your way. its just crazy how good they have it, and they just act so entitled about everything. i guess when everyone gives you what you want since you were about 12 years old, it seems reasonable.

im not saying the owners are terrific, but right now, lesser of two evils in this situation?

If or when your company loss money, should the owner be able to take away or slash your salary ? It has to work both ways.

It does work like that.... I work for the county. They want to tale 8% from me. 4% retro.... That would cripple me.. I shouldn't have to pay back money I already earned. That's the real world. Atleast the owners aren't asking for money back. I am not Maybin. I actually earned my money.

the more the players talk the more i start to lean your way. its just crazy how good they have it, and they just act so entitled about everything. i guess when everyone gives you what you want since you were about 12 years old, it seems reasonable.

im not saying the owners are terrific, but right now, lesser of two evils in this situation?

The owners re-opened the CBA because they made the claim that it wasn't working for them. When the players asked them to back up their claim, in essense, their response was no you don't have a right to know what our profit margins are. That doesn't make sense. What if in reality they are making more money under the current CBA then the prior CBA?

Prior to the SB Goodell was interviewed by Chris Wallace. Chris Wallace asked why it wasn't reasonable for the owners to open up their books, to some extent, to prove their claim that the current CBA was unsustainable. Goodell replied that the owners have shown them what their costs are. Chris Wallace then responded that doesn't tell you much unless the players know what your profit levels are. Goodell responded that the owners won't do that because it wouldn't be useful. You could tell that even Goodell was a little embarrassed by that nonsensical answer.

Did you ever stop to consider that the owners are adamantly not willing to open their books (to a reasonable extent) because it might undercut their claim? Don't you think that if they were losing money or making less money that they would be willing to demonstrate that point?

Edited by JohnC

The average career of an NFL player is about 3 1/2 years. Some make absurd amounts of money but most are at the lower end of the pay scale and don't have much time to earn it.

It's the fans who should lock everyone out! Look at this way. If the owners can charge a person $100 to sit up in the nose bleed section and about $500 for other seats, then parking fees and not to mention anything else. This is how they can turn and pay a cb out of college better than all star pro bowl qb. No S^%$ the players want more money because the tv rights alone is unbilievable. Who do you think will pay for all this? It's the fans alone. The fans are the ones who should be demanding the owners keep each other in check. That idiot in dallas and in dc and atlanta should be fined for giving away stupid money to stupid players. Then we have the players like hayneworth who feel they should get paid to not play and demand to get traded and not pay back money? Get the f out of here with that. The fans need to step it up and demand it from Goodell that the owners need to tone down paying stupid money from the get go to show each other up. It's the fans who pay for it no one else, and who ever wins this pissing contest, like it or not your season tickets will be going up to pay for what? the contracts that are given out. I had enough of paying for anything like this about the game. I will never pay for tickets or the nfl game day to support this kind of behavior. I only wish half the fans could wake up and do the same thing so the nfl would get the hint.

The average career of an NFL player is about 3 1/2 years. Some make absurd amounts of money but most are at the lower end of the pay scale and don't have much time to earn it.

Then you take the 1.5 - 2.0 mil(at the very minimum) you earned, in conjunction with your 4 year degree and you have a great start on the rest of your life that most 25-27 year old never dreamed possible.

Edited by LabattBlue

It's the fans who should lock everyone out! Look at this way. If the owners can charge a person $100 to sit up in the nose bleed section and about $500 for other seats, then parking fees and not to mention anything else. This is how they can turn and pay a cb out of college better than all star pro bowl qb. No S^%$ the players want more money because the tv rights alone is unbilievable. Who do you think will pay for all this? It's the fans alone. The fans are the ones who should be demanding the owners keep each other in check. That idiot in dallas and in dc and atlanta should be fined for giving away stupid money to stupid players. Then we have the players like hayneworth who feel they should get paid to not play and demand to get traded and not pay back money? Get the f out of here with that. The fans need to step it up and demand it from Goodell that the owners need to tone down paying stupid money from the get go to show each other up. It's the fans who pay for it no one else, and who ever wins this pissing contest, like it or not your season tickets will be going up to pay for what? the contracts that are given out. I had enough of paying for anything like this about the game. I will never pay for tickets or the nfl game day to support this kind of behavior. I only wish half the fans could wake up and do the same thing so the nfl would get the hint.

Sounds good except that even if the owners keep the players in check, that still won't stop them from trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of the fans and lining their own pockets.

Then you take the 1.5 - 2.0 mil(at the very minimum) you earned, in conjunction with your 4 year degree and you have a great start on the rest of your life that most 25-27 year old never dreamed possible.

Sounds good on paper but how much of the 1.5-2.0 mil to they actually pocket? How much goes to the government in taxes? How much goes to agents? How many of these guys learned anything useful in college to set them up for a real career?

Sounds good on paper but how much of the 1.5-2.0 mil to they actually pocket? How much goes to the government in taxes? How much goes to agents? How many of these guys learned anything useful in college to set them up for a real career?

Holy crap! If I didn't know better, I'd swear that you just made it seem like I had a better start on life as a 25 year old than a player leaving the NFL after 3-1/2 years. :lol:

its true -- instead here i am in debt, and having never lived the dream.

if you gave me a million dollars, id invest the hell out of it. and not in gold chains and sports cars.

Sounds good except that even if the owners keep the players in check, that still won't stop them from trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of the fans and lining their own pockets.

If all the fans stopped the bottom line would be no demand so the supply would either stop or have to cut prices. Guns and butter type scenerio

Holy crap! If I didn't know better, I'd swear that you just made it seem like I had a better start on life as a 25 year old than a player leaving the NFL after 3-1/2 years. :lol:

Nope, just saying that most of them probably aren't as well off as you make them out to be and most of them, just like your typical 22-25 year old, don't plan ahead for a future without football.

It's clear that you side with the owners. I side with the players but I don't really care to debate the issue. Neither of us is likely to change the other's mind.

However, the players' request for the owners to open their books is based on the very dubious claims made by the owners that teams are LOSING MONEY.

The players are asking for any proof that this is in fact the case. As outside financial experts have opined, it is very unlikely that the league or its teams are losing money.

These are some indisputable facts that you should consider:

1) The players are not striking. The owners are threatening to lock them out. The players want to continue to work. The owners will not let them under the existing agreement. This was an agreement that we the fans, were happy to not even think about as long as we had our NFL football.

2) The owners voted to approve this latest CBA in 2006. Now they are essentially opting to legally renege on it.

3) The NFLPA (players union) initial offer in this latest round of bargaining was essentially a smaller percentage of a larger pie…numbers crunchers have figured out that it amounts to approximately the same amount of money. In other words, the players are simply in favor of maintaining some semblance of the status quo (the status quo in which both players and owners have made unprecedented riches).

4) While it's true that the owners assume risk (inasmuch as a highly successful business typically tolerates risk), the players are the product. Fans will not pay the same amount of money to see a lower quality product. The billionaire owners are making money off the toils of millionaire players.

5) Those millionaire players have very short careers and have their own risks…long term and chronic health (including mental health) problems. Risk of devastating injuries, to name just a few.

6) Fans are pissed off because their cake (NFL games) is being taken away from them. As a result they are taking sides. Keep in mind again that if the owners hadn't decided to initiate and escalate this conflict and "take back what they see as rightfully their's (after they gave it away)" the vast majority of us wouldn't give a crap about how much each side is making. We are taking sides and are pissed off because the owners have decided to draw a line in the sand…and erase a line they had drawn five years ago.

Some fans blame the players, some blame the owners. But remember, it's the owners who are locking out the players…if anyone is killing the goose that laid the golden egg, it is the owners. The owners like to point to the risks they tolerate as businessmen but they are their own worst enemies…they themselves are creating the greatest risk/threat the sport has ever seen.

The owners can't agree on how to share league revenues among themselves, they can't be trusted to spend money wisely, and now through their greed and shortsightedness, they are jeopardizing a sport which is riding a wave of unprecedented popularity. The owners are their own worst enemies, and their greed and arrogance is a much bigger threat to the NFL business than the players are.

Nope, just saying that most of them probably aren't as well off as you make them out to be and most of them, just like your typical 22-25 year old, don't plan ahead for a future without football.

At the very least, they should make enough in 3 1/2 years in the NFL to pay off their student loans. Oh wait, they don't have any because they got to go for free. Why are we supposed to feel bad for them? no one is forcing them to make stupid financial decisions and not plan for the future. The bottom line is even if they aren't filthy rich, anyone with 3 1/2 years in the NFL should be much better off than the average 20 something recent college graduate. Whether they actually are or not is no one's decision but their own, and I find it hard to have any sympathy for someone who chooses to waste that opportunity.

At the very least, they should make enough in 3 1/2 years in the NFL to pay off their student loans. Oh wait, they don't have any because they got to go for free. Why are we supposed to feel bad for them? no one is forcing them to make stupid financial decisions and not plan for the future. The bottom line is even if they aren't filthy rich, anyone with 3 1/2 years in the NFL should be much better off than the average 20 something recent college graduate. Whether they actually are or not is no one's decision but their own, and I find it hard to have any sympathy for someone who chooses to waste that opportunity.

I don't feel bad for the players. I simply can't feel any sympathy for owners like Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones like you apparently do. The owners aren't a bunch of modern day Robin Hoods that are stealing from the rich players to give to us poor schmucks. They are simply filthy rich schmucks trying to steal from less filthy rich schmucks to line their own pockets.