1 Bills Drive: Let's Get Real

BiggieScooby

Do any of you remember last year, when the QB prospects were horrible and people advised waiting until this year to pick a QB because this year was going to be the "year of the QB", with a bunch of REALLY good, can't-miss prospects? Now, people are saying to wait until next year, because the QBs this year suck, and we should wait until next year, because next years QBs will be REALLY good, can't-miss prospects... :wallbash:

Given the complexity of today's NFL Defenses I am of the opinion that all QBs take 2 to 3 seasons minimum to develop. Peyton Manning threw 28 picks his rookie year. Roethlisberger, Ryan, & Flacco were asked to "manage" the game and were asked not to lose it. Anointing Cam Newton or anyone else the savior is simply asking too much. We have too many holes to address then selecting a QB in 2011 with our #3 pick overall.

2012 offers more QBs than 2011 with the addition of one elite QB in Andrew Luck. Additionally guys like Matt Barkley (if he enters early), Stephen Garcia, Kellen Moore, Ryan Lindley, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, Terrelle Pryor, Nick Foles will all be there.

The build plan should be simple: solidify the NFLs worst rush defense by building the front 7 & knab a real tight end.

Mock Draft:

1st Round - Pick #3 Robert Quinn 6'5'' 268 OLB 3-4 or 4-3 DE North Carolina

2nd Round - Pick #35 Kyle Rudolph 6'6'' 260 TE Notre Dame

3rd Round - Pick #67 Jarvis Jenkins 6'4'' 310 DE 3-4 or 4-3 DT Clemson

4th Round - Pick #100 Casey Matthews 6'1'' 232 WILB 3-4 or SILB 3-4 Oregon

4th Round - Pick #107 Sione Fua 6'2'' 307 DT 3-4 or 4-3 DT Stanford

5th Round - Pick #132 Chris Culliver 6'0'' 197 CB South Carolina

6th Round - Pick #164 Tejay Johnson 6'1'' 212 SS TCU

7th Round - Pick #196 Richard Sherman 6'3'' 197 CB Stanford

Get depth on the defensive side of the ball. Only other offensive position that I would be fine with is OT.

The Bills could use more draft picks but trading may not be an option. I like Quinn but Kyle Rudolph? Why waste a 2nd round on a TE when we can get an ILB, DT (depending on where Quinn is directed to play) or a OT. Casey Matthews, don't fall for a small LB because of the family name. He's not Clay Jr. Don't know if we can afford to have two throw away picks of our top 4.

Edited by VADC Bills

In the 1st paragraph OP says drafting a qb is bad news because qbs take years to develop. (and then cite Matt Ryan as an example of this, WTF?)

In the 2nd paragraph then cite all the qbs next year we could take, as if those qbs are exceptions to the rule of the 1st paragraph? And implying there aren't defensive prospects in 2012 we could take, just like this year?

So we what, are better off delaying our rebuilding another year? I dont get it.

The Bills could use more draft picks but trading may not be an option. I like Quinn but Kyle Rudolph? Why waste a 2nd round on a TE when we can get an ILB, DT (depending on where Quinn is directed to play) or a OT. Casey Matthews, don't fall for a small LB because of the family name. He's not Clay Jr. Don't know if we can afford to have two throw away picks of our top 4.

Why Kyle Rudolph? Because the guy is an excellent blocker & can catch the ball. Had he not torn his hammy and missed the last 6 games he'd be in the top 20. The guy started & contributed his first 3 seasons and has great competitiveness. Casey Matthews was my swing pick. Figure if Wanny converts us to a true 4-3 he comes off the table. Casey Matthews did make a great strip on Cam Newton in the Champ Game just like big bro did to Mendenhall. Coincidence? I think not. Truthfully I'd also be fine with Chris White from Miss. St. 6'3'' 245, that guy hits like a bigger version of Zach Thomas.

In the 1st paragraph OP says drafting a qb is bad news because qbs take years to develop. (and then cite Matt Ryan as an example of this, WTF?)

In the 2nd paragraph then cite all the qbs next year we could take, as if those qbs are exceptions to the rule of the 1st paragraph? And implying there aren't defensive prospects in 2012 we could take, just like this year?

Allow me to explain Zulu: Matt Ryan is now good as of year 3. Still hasn't won a playoff game. He was the most highly touted QB in the '08 class and was compared as the most NFL ready QB since the guys from Rd 1 '04. Do you honestly think Gabbert or Newton is as good as Ryan?

Why wait till next year on QB - because there ain't a QB worth the #3 pick. Why not build a team with a good defense & oline. And get a guy mid-first round like Big Ben a few years down the road?

Fair enough BigSkoob, but Ryan not really the best example for your point, since he was very good his rookie year. Slumped a bit as a sophomore, and came back strong this past year. Granted his rookie year he had a great michael turner with him.

You can say none of the qbs this class are going to be as good as Ryan was as a rookie, but you really dont know that, and neither do I. The 2012 qb class are also unknowns (with the possible exception of Luck).

Why wait till next year on QB - because there ain't a QB worth the #3 pick. Why not build a team with a good defense & oline. And get a guy mid-first round like Big Ben a few years down the road?

So instead of being in the position to have our choice of who we deem as the best QB in this draft, you would rather hold out for some completely fictional 3rd chosen QB? You think that this "3rd QB in the 2012 draft" will be better than Newton or Gabbert or Mallett or whoever the BEST QB in this draft is?

Edited by DrDankenstein

But if QBs take 2-3 years to develop, shouldn't we grab one now, so that he's developed by the time we've filled all those holes?

Personally, I don't want either Newton or Gabbert, both of whom I think will bust. But if QBs truly take so long to develop, you can't afford to wait until all your holes are filled before drafting one.

What kind of a site is this.

Build the defense. You can win the Superbowl without a super quarterback . . .

What if you have the ability to do both? We got Troup and Carrington in rounds 2 and 3 last year. This year's draft is deep in DL and LB so we should be able to get guys that are just as good in rounds 2-5 this year.

Why not pick your future franchise QB at #3, and then most or all of the next 7 picks to shore up the Defense and OL?

We are in a very good position to do just that. You don't necessarily have to completely ignore one unit to improve another. Contrary to what Jauron would have you think...

I like the idea of picking Quinn #3 and Jenkins in the 3rd. We need to add bulk, strength, and talent to the Defense. Quinn is a playmaker, has size, and is not a niche player like Maybin coming out of college. Quinn looks to me to be more like Orakpo. If Bills are ever going to make this D work, they need to be stacked at LB talent. Look at GB, NE, Bal, and Pittsburg...all of these are winning programs built around great defenses that rely heavily on great LB's. The front office knows this, but will they pull the trigger? We'll see.

What we really need to do is trade down for a first round pick from a team that will pick # 1 next year. And get Luck next year. That would be the best thing to do. Probably near impossible and the only way we will get that pick is to make a deal this year with next years worst team. Give away the farm, because there are a lot of mid draft choices to swell the ranks of above average or better players. We may not have this high of a pick again for many years so we have to to the best for the long term. There are a coupla qbs that may well turn into better qbs than cam and gabbert. It is a crapshoot.

Luck isnt, imo. Sell the boats and mortgage the farm to get Andy boy.

Why is everyone so high on Mathews. He's a small LB who can't cover. Don't we have our quota of those?

I like Mathews because of his heritage etc. yeah. But what got me was when in the "Championship Game" when the Ducks were getting mauled and couldn't stop the Tigers, Mathews came up with a monster play getting his team the ball back. THAT'S WHAT WE NEED. A guy who come through in the clutch on D. I know you can't base it all on this, but it spoke volumes to me.

Do any of you remember last year, when the QB prospects were horrible and people advised waiting until this year to pick a QB because this year was going to be the "year of the QB", with a bunch of REALLY good, can't-miss prospects? Now, people are saying to wait until next year, because the QBs this year suck, and we should wait until next year, because next years QBs will be REALLY good, can't-miss prospects... :wallbash:

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Rather than delaying our SB win by waiting for a rookie QB to possibly (though still quite unlikely) to develop, the better strategy would seem to be to let some other team spend the 3-4 years developing a winning QB and then run him out of town as a bust.

From recent SB winner (and generally acknowledged franchise QB)Drew Brees back through HOFer Steve Young and probable HOFer Brett Favre franchise QBs are often available as FAs or cheap trade bait.

If "merely" making the playoffs are your goal this opens up FA QB possibilities like Vick (for the strong of football heart), aging vet with still playoff worthy cred like McNabb, or even two time cuttee bust but still QB'ed a team to an SB win Brad Johnson.

Make no mistake, its hard to pick the right QB for an SB win no matter whether you acquire then through the draft, FA, or trade. However, though some folks want to bleat that the ONLY way to get a franchise QB is through one acquisition technique (which is all the draft is as history is not only filled with franchise and SB winning QBs acquired by FA, trade, the draft, and even from his box-boy job at Walmart in the case of Kurt Warner, the key to getting your stud QB capable of QBing your team is for your squad to have a strategy and to acquire the QB you want whether by FA (in cases such as Brees) by draft )even though the RoboQB and Manning example skew drafting a 1st rounder to look better as no team had drafted a QB who led the team which drafted him in the first since Dallas chose Aikman at the end of the 80s, trading for exactly who you want rather than drafting him as in the case of Elway or Eli Manning.

Knowing the Bills is simply to realize that rather than the Pitts example where RoboQB is not so much the leader of a team led by SB MVP Hines Ward or even safety Troy Polamalu or the Bronco example where John Elway despite his unparalled game ending theatrics is was reall Terrell Davis who put this team over the top.

Not only with the decision by Luck to stay in school is there no QB in this draft worthy of a #3, but the Bills OL is a player and a half away from adequacy and without the vet smarts and athleticism of a Fitzy it is pretty doubtful a rookie QB even survives if he plays for this team.

Drafting a franchise QB in the 1st is such a longshot that again if you are smart at recognizing talent (which all 32 teams passing on the best player in the NFL Tom Brady 5 or more times until the Pats lost the guy the work looking for when he got picked and they had to "settle" for Brady with their 6th round pick,

Unless you want to advocate picking a specific player at #3 at QB the Bills should trade down at worst and pick their rookie QB later in the draft or simply forgo drafting a 1st round selected player and instead trade for a 1st round bust like a Trent Dilfer who Baltimore knew tons about what he did well and what he did poorly when they acquired him.

...2012 offers more QBs than 2011 with the addition of one elite QB in Andrew Luck. Additionally guys like Matt Barkley (if he enters early), Stephen Garcia, Kellen Moore, Ryan Lindley, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, Terrelle Pryor, Nick Foles will all be there....

This take is deja' vu all over again. And I am getting tired of it. Last year I hoped the Bills drafted Clausen or Tebow with their first pick, and Tebow looks like a keeper. Clausen has not proven to be a bust by any means yet, either. But there were you and the majority last year, saying; "Oh no, next year's QB class is the one! Jake Locker was the big name this time last year, but you guys had every one else listed as being the ones to "wait one more year" for.

Now the Bills have the number 3 overall pick, almost guaranteeing them of being in the position to draft one of the two best QB's from the class that all of you bragged about last year at this time! And instead of being excited about that, here you are advising the Bills to wait until NEXT YEAR'S draft, because THAT ONE is the one to wait for.

The Bills have needs all over the place, and I can't argue that fact. As long as Nix drafts a defensive player that we've actually heard of from a major college with the number 3 pick, he cannot go wrong. (Just keep in mind how obsessed Modrak's scouting team seems to be with drafting players from small schools lower on the experts' boards, or players from large schools, who are way way down on experts boards.)

But we all know that both Newton and Gabbert are going to be drafted in the top 10 this season, which means two NFL teams will be taking the risk and paying those kids the money to become their franchise QB's. Why on earth are so many fans convinced that the Buffalo Bills, a franchise that has now waited 15 years since their last franchise QB retired, should not be one of those two teams???

Newton or Gabbert with the number 3 pick in the draft folks. If Nix does not do it, my humble opinion is that he will be blowing a golden opportunity to secure his franchise QB, while still having the rest of the draft to shore up his many many other needs.

Personally, I think the QB prospects are better next year. And tell me the truth. Has Nix or Gailey done anything to make you believe the Bills might not once again be one of the worst teams in the NFL next year and legit contenders in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes? Just sayin'

YES! Chan and Nix have done something. The Bills were in many games, and were blown out on a couple. If you take the over times and count them as a win, we were in the hunt for a playoff spot. Take the first few games with Trent in there and we did have a shot. I know would of could of should of, but to say we will be in the hunt for Luck next year is just crazy. Chan took that offense and turned it around in one year. We sucked before last year. Our defense has always given us trouble and teams could run on us, and we got even worse last year. What have they done? Gone out and picked up a coach who is known for having great defenses in Dave W. If we pick up a few players, like ILB, and a DT, then I feel we have a great chance at being the surprise team in the playoffs. I'm not saying contenders, but at least the playoffs.

My surprise would be for us to take AJ Green, and us to pick a few people in FA for defense. Don't count out Shawn Merriman either. Nix drafted this guy and they feel he will come back and be as powerful as he was. That is a risk they are taking, but they just want an ILB.