New turf in The Ralph

Beerball

I believe the Bills keep virtually all revenue.

The Bills have a sweetheart deal with the county. This is why we are able to pay such low ticket prices and keep the Bills in Buffalo…because even though ticket revenue is low (because of the low cost of the ticket), the cost to the team is very low also. The county assumes most of the expenses and the Bills reap most of the revenue.

That may be true but the Bills can't keep the sales tax revenue. I wonder what that amounts to?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will they be cutting up the old turf and putting it up for sale like they did the last time they replaced the surface?

Hmm. I'm almost certain I've seen pictures that showed that turf --- including the red endzones --- went to a high school for use on their field.

Edited by UConn James

Good point. One might also think that the league would mandate the highest quality product as well. Why not standardize all artificial surfaces?

GO BILLS!!!

One might also think that a professional sports team worth hundreds of millions of dollars would go about this a little differently than putting an ad in the paper.

One might also think that a professional sports team worth hundreds of millions of dollars would go about this a little differently than putting an ad in the paper.

One might think that, but one would be wrong.

As Erie County is the entity paying for the installation of the new surface, it must go to public bid - as a gov't entity, all RFPs for projects like these are advertised in the 'Legal Notices' section of the Buffalo News (just like the new Erie County Medical Center buildings, any SUNY construction project, local school districts, etc.). The ad is basically just a notice that there's a huge project out for public bid, give the relevant dates (when bids are due, when & where bid documents can be viewed and/or obtained, etc.) - the obvious purpose of such notice is to ensure a fair an open bid process to as many potential vendors as possible, and to encourage MBE/WBE/VBE participation. The actual bid documents are a package consisting of massive volumes of specifications and blueprints, and are obtained for a fee by the companies interested in bidding on the project, or partnering with a prime contractor and a portion of the overall project.

And, of course, in the case of something like this - the RFP requirements are usually written in such a way so as to 'skew' the process toward a particular vendor for whom the Bills may already have indicated their preference - in the case of the last major electrical rewiring, it was Frey Electric (an occasional purchaser of large blocks of tickets for near-sellout games at the blackout deadline.)

It would be easier - and preferable to many, I'm sure - if the Bills could just call Davey Nurseries and have them lay some sod. B-)

One might think that, but one would be wrong.

As Erie County is the entity paying for the installation of the new surface, it must go to public bid - as a gov't entity, all RFPs for projects like these are advertised in the 'Legal Notices' section of the Buffalo News (just like the new Erie County Medical Center buildings, any SUNY construction project, local school districts, etc.). The ad is basically just a notice that there's a huge project out for public bid, give the relevant dates (when bids are due, when & where bid documents can be viewed and/or obtained, etc.) - the obvious purpose of such notice is to ensure a fair an open bid process to as many potential vendors as possible, and to encourage MBE/WBE/VBE participation. The actual bid documents are a package consisting of massive volumes of specifications and blueprints, and are obtained for a fee by the companies interested in bidding on the project, or partnering with a prime contractor and a portion of the overall project.

And, of course, in the case of something like this - the RFP requirements are usually written in such a way so as to 'skew' the process toward a particular vendor for whom the Bills may already have indicated their preference - in the case of the last major electrical rewiring, it was Frey Electric (an occasional purchaser of large blocks of tickets for near-sellout games at the blackout deadline.)

It would be easier - and preferable to many, I'm sure - if the Bills could just call Davey Nurseries and have them lay some sod. B-)

If only it were that easy. It's FieldTurf's job to lose, unless there's some newer artificial turf product out there.

I'm sure you're right - but wouldn't it be GREAT if, to go along with new uniforms, they put down natural turf???

(Wishful thinking, I know.)

It would be cool. I'd be curious to know how much more it would cost (the county) to install GrassMaster.

- in the case of the last major electrical rewiring, it was Frey Electric (an occasional purchaser of large blocks of tickets for near-sellout games at the blackout deadline.)

I talked to a few of those guys at one job site I was at. It's amazing some of the problems they were finding from the previous company that did the electrical work at the stadium. One example I remember was the power lines going up the light poles was not secured, so the wind was causing the insulation to to rub off in spots causing shorts.

The World Champion Green Bay Packers did it...

Packers going to DD Grassmaster System at Lambeau

I wonder if, as taxpayers, we could lobby Chris Collins for real turf?

Call it a 'grass-roots' campaign??? :beer:

What kind of grass are you smoking? :)

I talked to a few of those guys at one job site I was at. It's amazing some of the problems they were finding from the previous company that did the electrical work at the stadium. One example I remember was the power lines going up the light poles was not secured, so the wind was causing the insulation to to rub off in spots causing shorts.

I used to work for Ferguson Electric. That's why they call Frey Electric, Fried Electric. :) At least the guys at Fergy did.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan