Pre-game reading of the Declaration of Independence

Anyone who watched that and felt like it was nationalistic propaganda or the government being forced down your throat is a completely cynical whack job.

The notion that listening to/reading the Declaration of Independence should lead one to a desire for revolution is absurd.

And to those that compared that poignant moment with Nazi Germany and Imperialist Japan - you people are sick.

Complain if you'd like about the current climate of overpolitization in America, but goodness, it's a stretch to knock the greatest single humanitarian document ever drafted.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually don't give too many comments since I have been here on TSW. I did not see this commercial until I read this thread. I did not see this because I am currently serving in South Korea. I only read some of the poster and it has propelled me to speak. The Declamation is the point in history that we as a nation stood up and said we want to became a nation. The articles of confederation have failed. Our forefathers acknowledged this. They also knew that the declaration was a huge risk. We overcame adversity. To take the next step, they wrote the constitution. Our forefathers were so foreseeing, they knew times would change and built in ways to compensate. Over 200 years later, the American flag symbolizes everything American. Freedom, Respect, and all things that makes us happy. No where else in the world is American football as big as it is in the US. American football is a symbol of America as the flag itself. It is so important that those that are serving, are given the opportunity to watch this game to the utmost extent. Watching this game is one of the very few things that we are afforded at all costs to give those overseas a chance to enjoy the states as it happens. To those who have complains, I hope you have a chance to see another side.

GO BILLS!

If you didn't enjoy watching the Declaration of Independence read before the Super Bowl, you could have exercised your right to choose. Choose to change the channel. Choose to mute the TV. Choose to stick your fingers in your ear and scream La-La-La-La until it's over.

Myself, I had no problem with it at all. Of course I make it a point to try to read it every July 4th (I have even posted here a time or two). IMO the Declaration of Independence is something worth reading and remembering.

I usually don't give too many comments since I have been here on TSW. I did not see this commercial until I read this thread. I did not see this because I am currently serving in South Korea. I only read some of the poster and it has propelled me to speak. The Declamation is the point in history that we as a nation stood up and said we want to became a nation. The articles of confederation have failed. Our forefathers acknowledged this. They also knew that the declaration was a huge risk. We overcame adversity. To take the next step, they wrote the constitution. Our forefathers were so foreseeing, they knew times would change and built in ways to compensate. Over 200 years later, the American flag symbolizes everything American. Freedom, Respect, and all things that makes us happy. No where else in the world is American football as big as it is in the US. American football is a symbol of America as the flag itself. It is so important that those that are serving, are given the opportunity to watch this game to the utmost extent. Watching this game is one of the very few things that we are afforded at all costs to give those overseas a chance to enjoy the states as it happens. To those who have complains, I hope you have a chance to see another side.

GO BILLS!

Thank you for your continued service!

at first I was annoyed a little, I have to admit. I just read it as a cheap way for the NFL marketing to weave itself into the fabric of the USA. With increasing regularity, the NFL manages to annoy me and I look at a lot of things skeptically now.

Thinking about it though. It is a great thing. You have 100 million viewers, mostly Americans, why not have the reading while we are all together in front of our televisions?

As a Vet, I enjoyed it and was moved by it.

You guys are the ones I think about whenever I see someone complaining about the pledge of allegiance, our country's heritage, patriotism, etc. I was not able to serve our country due to physical reasons, but my family is overflowing with proud vets dating back to WWI and WWII. People have lost sight of the sacrifices that were made in order to provide for the freedoms we have today and it makes me physically ill at times. Even worse, in appreciation for all that those have put themselves in harms way to protect us - both past and present - our nation repays that by continuing to lose sight of itself. We are becoming a nation of illiterates. We're in the process of bankrupting ourselves. We have complete idiots running for and being elected to congress. Our political system is more concerned with saving face and selfish endeavors than they are doing something for the good of America. It's not right. And it's disgraceful that we have taken such poor care of the land that so many have fought and died for so that we might have better futures.

And now we have people taking issue with the declaration of independence being recited before the super bowl, debating if it was out of place or not, etc. It's never out of place. It's always appropriate. And it's a shame that people have lost sight of that.

GO BILLS!

Thank you for your service for my freedom!

GO BILLS!

Thank you

I just hope the Declaration is getting as much attention and respect on many other message boards as it is getting in this one. Glad to see it read on tv and it's nice to have read it being debated on here because it brings it more due attention.

For clarification purposes I believe the thought of revolution is a last resort. I would much rather a government be changed for the better in the most peaceful way possible.

When I think of the Declaration I think of all past and present who have faught for and continue to fight for what freedoms we have. Let our freedom not erode any further.

Edited by Pilsner

When I think of the Declaration I think of all past and present who have faught for and continue to fight for what freedoms we have.

The above mistake reminds of the bumper sticker:

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Marine

The Marine did their job. The teacher on the other hand :oops:

I just hope the Declaration is getting as much attention and respect on many other message boards as it is getting in this one. Glad to see it read on tv and it's nice to have read it being debated on here because it brings it more due attention.

For clarification purposes I believe the thought of revolution is a last resort. I would much rather a government be changed for the better in the most peaceful way possible.

When I think of the Declaration I think of all past and present who have faught for and continue to fight for what freedoms we have. Let our freedom not erode any further.

Yes, it's wonderful.

But now I am curious how much money the NFL donates to US Military Veterans?

I would hope that the way they wrap themselves in the flag that they are contributing close to $100 million a season.

Somehow I doubt they do......

The above mistake reminds of the bumper sticker:

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Marine

The Marine did their job. The teacher on the other hand :oops:

lol yes I noticed my mistake too. I hate mispelling. Posted on my iPhone rather quickly and wasn't able to fix the error. For how great this phone is it won't let you scroll down far enough to edit/fix anything below an average sized paragraph.

Yes, it's wonderful.

But now I am curious how much money the NFL donates to US Military Veterans?

I would hope that the way they wrap themselves in the flag that they are contributing close to $100 million a season.

Somehow I doubt they do......

Are there any other rules you've made up that we should all know about?