Snow anyone?

BB27

Yep, all the schools shut down the day before because of a forecasted devistating storm. Could you imagine cancelling a football game on the threat of bad weather, talk about wussies... :rolleyes:

We only got about 6-8 inches of snow here in Amherst, although it was very heavy! Across the country they'll have a cute little name for this winter storm that swept through the nation. In Buffalo, we call it Wednesday in January...

Remember... If history holds... BFLO gets it a year later. :P

See that is the thing. It is all about topo. Here it is so damn flat and open... 20" is like 60". The snow goes where ever it wants... All the roads around me are wide open... I was driving through open country and the sun was shining... Yet, I couldn't see a thing until the topo, or some some of windbreak broke things up. Yes, it was sunny today!

I've always joined in on the mocking of other areas after these storms, but I'm really starting to see why it's such an issue this year.

It is also VERY localized in WNY... One area may get pounded and the others barely touched. Then mix in the number of people. The only thing I can equate this to is when the 219 gets pounded... Now just imagine the region resembling that kind of topo... There is no place to hide from the drifts... As soon as the roads are plowed... They are covered with a foot again sometime disappearing totally... And this can be in brilliant clear weather. Roads just vanish!

Not now are you going to do that. Road contaminates dumped in the water? Tsk,Tsk.

Where is Jimmy Griffin and a load of CaCl2 when you need it!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And 15 hours later there is like 2". WTF weather hype by the local media to boost ratings :thumbdown:

We get this dud, but 2 months to the day ago, Dec. 2nd, I get no forewarning that I am getting 3 feet of snow in 24 hours. How about they reverse this thing?!?

I've always joined in on the mocking of other areas after these storms, but I'm really starting to see why it's such an issue this year. Here in Boston they have absolutely no place to put all of it.

How is it different in Buffalo? When the snow starts getting up there, the major complaint is that there is nowhere to put it.

What the heck is a melter truck?

www.snowremovalsystems.com

Process

I am pretty sure the tech hasa been used in TOR for some years... They load it into the truck, heats and melts the snow to water and then... I guess dropped into the storm sewer system?

Yet... Doesn't this still leave open the whole contaminate thingy??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Process

I am pretty sure the tech hasa been used in TOR for some years... They load it into the truck, heats and melts the snow to water and then... I guess dropped into the storm sewer system?

Yes, but no one notices, which is key. As long as it's not milk.

Yes, but no one notices, which is key. As long as it's not milk.

I was reading the website... They do have a plan for cleaning it:

Q8. Does the melter collect a lot of the sediment and debris from the snow?

A: Yes, but the amount will vary based on how dirty the snow is being loaded into the melter. The sediment is heavier than the water and will sink to the bottom of the melt tank rather than flow out with the exiting melt water. So the exiting water is cleaner than the snow being loaded in. The sediment can then be properly disposed of during the cleanout process. The hydraulic cleanout systems of the SRS melters makes quick work of the cleanout by utilizing lifting/tilting trays (P100) or lifting/tilting the entire melt tank (P70) for the sediment to easily slide out the cleanout doors.

Don't eat snow. As a kid, I heard how much dust, etc is in the air. I took a Cool Whip container outside and let it get filled up with fresh snow. Brought it inside and let it melt. Surprised at the amount of dirt in the water. No wonder he air is so clear after a snowfall.

Edited by Wacka

Process

These are in use at just about every major airport that gets significant snow. You can see them being used at Newark anytime it snows significantly.

I was reading the website... They do have a plan for cleaning it:

Q8. Does the melter collect a lot of the sediment and debris from the snow?

A: Yes, but the amount will vary based on how dirty the snow is being loaded into the melter. The sediment is heavier than the water and will sink to the bottom of the melt tank rather than flow out with the exiting melt water. So the exiting water is cleaner than the snow being loaded in. The sediment can then be properly disposed of during the cleanout process. The hydraulic cleanout systems of the SRS melters makes quick work of the cleanout by utilizing lifting/tilting trays (P100) or lifting/tilting the entire melt tank (P70) for the sediment to easily slide out the cleanout doors.

So what's the govt's plan for the sediment when the snow melts naturally? :rolleyes: