Vick Gets Endorsement Deal

BillsPhan

Mike Vick wore a vest to protect his ribs this season. (Haven't QB's been wearing these things like...forever?) It seems he has parlayed that into his first major endorsement deal since coming out of prison. Unequal Technologies, make of sports equipment and the vest Vick wore, signed him up to be the new "face" of their company.

Said their CEO, "We're real excited about it," Vito said. "Michael is good people. He paid his dues. President Obama reached out to him. He deserves an opportunity. This is what makes America so great. He's moved forward. He's a whole other person."

Wow, let's give Vick an honorary degree from Liberty University while we're annointing him an American hero, shall we??

If he was smart, he would take a good percentage of the money he has left from this endorsement deal after his bankruptcy garnishments come out, and donate it directly to the SPCA or his favorite Animal Rights organization. To me, he should continue to spend his money and time on anything related to helping animals for the rest of his life. In addition to that, I would really like to see him do free speaking engagements and free appearances for charitable events that benefit animal shelters and anything animal-rights related.

I know he doesn't "have to." I know he's "paid his dues to society." But as a convicted felon, the fact the NFL even allowed him back into the league is an amazingly lucky break for him. As a convicted felon, any McDonalds in America could have easily told him they would not hire him at minimum wage and nobody would blame them. Now, he's worked his ass off and because he still has amazing gifts as an athlete, he has worked his way back to starting QB in the NFL. I might hate him for the type of crimes he was guilty of being associated with, but I repect him for how hard he has worked to get his life turned around. He has made the NFL look right for letting him come back.

However, here we are with companies hiring him to huge endorsement deals, and that rubs me the wrong way. This country is so addicted to entertainment sports we continue to reward absolute jerks and idiots with talent to entertain us. Is this company telling us that Vick is the only NFL QB wearing their vest, or is Mike Vick "hot" right now? In any case, Vick should continue on this higher road he has kept himself on since coming out of prison and continue to prove to us he has truly learned how horrible his crimes were to innocent animals, and never stop doing that. Just my humble opinion. Flame away if you must, or "better yet", as with many of my topic starters, I won't be surprised to see this post completely removed by later today. I don't care, I just wanted to vent once again on Mike Vick, Presidents Obama's National Hero.

Get over it. Guy paid his dues and is entitled to make a living and fulfill his destiny however he sees fit.

Perhaps you should do some research into what Michael is doing in his ongoing role with the SPCA before you spout off about all the things HE should do to make YOU feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Mike Vick wore a vest to protect his ribs this season. (Haven't QB's been wearing these things like...forever?) It seems he has parlayed that into his first major endorsement deal since coming out of prison. Unequal Technologies, make of sports equipment and the vest Vick wore, signed him up to be the new "face" of their company.

Said their CEO, "We're real excited about it," Vito said. "Michael is good people. He paid his dues. President Obama reached out to him. He deserves an opportunity. This is what makes America so great. He's moved forward. He's a whole other person."

Wow, let's give Vick an honorary degree from Liberty University while we're annointing him an American hero, shall we??

If he was smart, he would take a good percentage of the money he has left from this endorsement deal after his bankruptcy garnishments come out, and donate it directly to the SPCA or his favorite Animal Rights organization. To me, he should continue to spend his money and time on anything related to helping animals for the rest of his life. In addition to that, I would really like to see him do free speaking engagements and free appearances for charitable events that benefit animal shelters and anything animal-rights related.

I know he doesn't "have to." I know he's "paid his dues to society." But as a convicted felon, the fact the NFL even allowed him back into the league is an amazingly lucky break for him. As a convicted felon, any McDonalds in America could have easily told him they would not hire him at minimum wage and nobody would blame them. Now, he's worked his ass off and because he still has amazing gifts as an athlete, he has worked his way back to starting QB in the NFL. I might hate him for the type of crimes he was guilty of being associated with, but I repect him for how hard he has worked to get his life turned around. He has made the NFL look right for letting him come back.

However, here we are with companies hiring him to huge endorsement deals, and that rubs me the wrong way. This country is so addicted to entertainment sports we continue to reward absolute jerks and idiots with talent to entertain us. Is this company telling us that Vick is the only NFL QB wearing their vest, or is Mike Vick "hot" right now? In any case, Vick should continue on this higher road he has kept himself on since coming out of prison and continue to prove to us he has truly learned how horrible his crimes were to innocent animals, and never stop doing that. Just my humble opinion. Flame away if you must, or "better yet", as with many of my topic starters, I won't be surprised to see this post completely removed by later today. I don't care, I just wanted to vent once again on Mike Vick, Presidents Obama's National Hero.

I love hearing from people on this subject, who if ticketed for 90 in a 55, would be kicking and screaming and going to court trying to get out of it.

Edited by RkFast

I love hearing from people on this subject, who if ticketed for 90 in a 55, would be kicking and screaming and going to court trying to get out of it.

The last ticket I got was for stupidly going 48 in a 30. I mailed the fine in. I don't think I've ever gone 90 in my life, although I do seem to do fine by keeping it under 75 on the thruway when 65 is posted. Believe me, at 73 or 74 MPH, hundreds of cars speed past me like I'm going 50. Maybe some of them would "kick and scream in court", but not me.

Now that we've cleared that up, maybe you can explain what the hell it has to do with my opinion of Mike Vick, the convicted felon? Like I said, I'll get flamed for dragging this tired subject up yet again, but I just wanted to get it off my chest one more time.

Why reference the Prez? He has nothing to do with Vick's endorsement deal and ruin's the stated intent of your thread. You have the opportunity to remove the last statement yourself, or indeed, this thread will come off this forum.

It's your opinion that mentioning Obama ruins the intent of my thread. The fact is, the CEO of the company that hired Vick mentioned the fact that Obama "reached out" to Vick, whatever the hell that was supposed to mean, so it was very relevant to the sarcasm of my post!

Listen Mr or Ms Moderator, I have put some posts up that I felt were well thought out, with no vulgarity or huge slams on anyone, that you have removed. Of course I was expecting you to remove this one! You don't seem to like my brand of humor or something about my topics, but that's OK, I'll keep posting new topics when I feel I have something of substance to add to your forum, and of course you can always remove them at your whim, too. :thumbdown:

Edited by BillsPhan

All I can say is that Micheal Vick will NEVER be known as an American Hero. He will always be known in this country as a decent NFL QB who killed dogs. End of story. If companies want to pay him for endorsements, let them. Still doesn't change what he did.

when i read the title i was all set to boycott the product...but really dont know how the company makes a signifigant more sales by having anyone as an endorser. to all those who say he paid his dues/served his time...if he was charged with each count of cruelty it would have been much longer. i'm not sure why they only charged him with one count...i guess they just wanted to make a quick example.

Have you ever done anything wrong? Ever broke the law? Before you start in with I've never done anything that bad, stop right there. You don't get to do that. You are taking a moral stand and judging him. Wrong is wrong and breaking the law is breaking the law. Get over it and get a life.

Have you ever done anything wrong? Ever broke the law? Before you start in with I've never done anything that bad, stop right there. You don't get to do that. You are taking a moral stand and judging him. Wrong is wrong and breaking the law is breaking the law. Get over it and get a life.

Sorry, I have a life, a good one, and I am "over it." I have given Vick credit where credit is due, and you can read that if you wanted to take the time to read my entire post. I'm taking a moral stand and judging Vick. Sure, that's called having an opinion. You saying to me "Get over it and get a life" is judging me that I have no life. Why do you get to judge me while I can't judge Vick?

The NFL judged Vick, the convicted felon, and decided to let him back into the NFL. But they certainly "judged" him first before making that decision. Plus, let me ask you a question....ever owned a dog? What if you were one of the pit bull lovers in the country that did not train him to fight, but trained him to be a good loving dog. Then one night, after letting him out on his lead, you find he was taken. Kidnapped by the scum bags Vick financed, to fight other pit bulls and get rewarded for winning by being forced to fight again and again, or get punished for losing by being tortured and killed. Real nice, huh? How would you feel then? I somehow bet you wouldn't be so liberal and forgiving and preach to me to just "get over it" because of course I've broken the law myself.

But since you asked, I have never been convicted of a felony, so yes, that does make me a better person then Vick was. That certainly doesn't mean that Vick hasn't grown up and become a better person now, perhaps better then the person I am now. Who knows? He's had chances, that's for sure. But I still don't think he deserves high paying endorsements and the huge contract he may be fortunate enough to sign in the near future. But that's just my humble opinion.

All I can say is that Micheal Vick will NEVER be known as an American Hero. He will always be known in this country as a decent NFL QB who killed dogs. End of story. If companies want to pay him for endorsements, let them. Still doesn't change what he did.

It's nice to see he is getting a second chance, I hope he makes the most of it.

While I was never the a big fan of Vick, I don't harbor the hate and pass judgement as some do.

The American system is set up so when people pay there dues they are alloted a second chance.

It's pretty cool in theory. The fact of the matter is some people will forgive and some won't.

By the way I'm not sure if a true American hero should come from the ranks of the NFL.

Edited by VADC Bills

Sorry, I have a life, a good one, and I am "over it." I have given Vick credit where credit is due, and you can read that if you wanted to take the time to read my entire post. I'm taking a moral stand and judging Vick. Sure, that's called having an opinion. You saying to me "Get over it and get a life" is judging me that I have no life. Why do you get to judge me while I can't judge Vick?

The NFL judged Vick, the convicted felon, and decided to let him back into the NFL. But they certainly "judged" him first before making that decision. Plus, let me ask you a question....ever owned a dog? What if you were one of the pit bull lovers in the country that did not train him to fight, but trained him to be a good loving dog. Then one night, after letting him out on his lead, you find he was taken. Kidnapped by the scum bags Vick financed, to fight other pit bulls and get rewarded for winning by being forced to fight again and again, or get punished for losing by being tortured and killed. Real nice, huh? How would you feel then? I somehow bet you wouldn't be so liberal and forgiving and preach to me to just "get over it" because of course I've broken the law myself.

But since you asked, I have never been convicted of a felony, so yes, that does make me a better person then Vick was. That certainly doesn't mean that Vick hasn't grown up and become a better person now, perhaps better then the person I am now. Who knows? He's had chances, that's for sure. But I still don't think he deserves high paying endorsements and the huge contract he may be fortunate enough to sign in the near future. But that's just my humble opinion.

Opinion respected. But I have to ask some questions.

Would you be so conservative if the shoe was on the other foot? Probably not.

But if you have never made mistakes you may not understand.

As far as being the gatekeeper on who deserves to make big money???

Have you ever heard Britney Spears sing? Does she deserve millions?

Have you ever seen the Kardashian girls do anything worth while? Do they deserve millions?

What about the creator of the pet rock.......

Just sit back and enjoy the ride and don't hate. Everyone deserve a chance to make a living legally.

Vick just has a skill set that commands more money than what most on this board does.

My humble opinion thinks that priorities and pay structures are just plain out of whack.

As corny as it sounds. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Edited by VADC Bills

He paid his debt to society. He is rebuilding his life, having seen the prison cell. Isn't that the way the corrections process is exactly supposed to work? Vick's work happens to be in the entertainment business, and endorsement deals are part of the package. You must be a death penalty guy. One strike and your out. Nice.

Time to ride some other dog dude. Get over it. Wish we had Vick.

I guess this quote says it all. Michael is indeed "good people". And thrown in the Obama name drop too for good measure.

As for this endorsement, I guess it was a smart move by the no-name company. This publicity is the best advertising they have ever paid for likely. Basically, they sign the felon and they get their company name plastered on all sports-related sites (and others). Can't really beat that advertising.

Time to ride some other dog dude. Get over it. Wish we had Vick.

And exactly where would we be if we did have him? Still sitting at home. I'll stick with Fitz.

He paid his debt to society. He is rebuilding his life, having seen the prison cell. Isn't that the way the corrections process is exactly supposed to work? Vick's work happens to be in the entertainment business, and endorsement deals are part of the package. You must be a death penalty guy. One strike and your out. Nice.

So, a convicted felon goes to jail, does his time, and then we are all suppose to like him and give him a pat on the back? Is that how it really works? No. Doing jail time just means that you legal debt for your offense against society has been repaid. It certainly does not mean people have to like you, give you second chances, or whatnot. And besides, our current legal system does not even treat convicted felons, who have "repaid their debt to society", full right as a US citizen. In many states, convicted felons lose the right to vote and federally, they lose their 2nd Amendment right.

Edited by kas23

Geezee...give the guy a break. He screwed up, he paid the penalty. Let him live his life as he sees fit. I am only upset that the Bill's did not grab him.. :thumbdown:

You seem angry? Are you mad Micheal is making more money than you by just showing his face...LOL... I think you need a hug and a build a bear or something because your PMSing. Oh well the more you talk angrily about him the more he will do better so I say keep it up the free publicity.

Carry on.

Why reference the Prez? He has nothing to do with Vick's endorsement deal and ruin's the stated intent of your thread. You have the opportunity to remove the last statement yourself, or indeed, this thread will come off this forum.

Sorry, but you're way out of line wrt what your moderation duties are. If this is an indication of your methods, maybe you need a talking-to by senior mods.

It was not overtly political and was fair comment on something that was part of the endorser's statement.

You seem angry? Are you mad Micheal is making more money than you by just showing his face...LOL... I think you need a hug and a build a bear or something because your PMSing. Oh well the more you talk angrily about him the more he will do better so I say keep it up the free publicity.

Carry on.

I will carry on, and thanks to all for the lively debate. :thumbsup:

Opinion respected. But I have to ask some questions.

Would you be so conservative if the shoe was on the other foot? Probably not.

But if you have never made mistakes you may not understand.

As far as being the gatekeeper on who deserves to make big money???

Have you ever heard Britney Spears sing? Does she deserve millions?

Have you ever seen the Kardashian girls do anything worth while? Do they deserve millions?

What about the creator of the pet rock.......

Just sit back and enjoy the ride and don't hate. Everyone deserve a chance to make a living legally.

Vick just has a skill set that commands more money than what most on this board does.

My humble opinion thinks that priorities and pay structures are just plain out of whack.

As corny as it sounds. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

*Why would "the shoe be on the other foot" for me? I love animals, and would never in my life finance a dog fighting operation. That question makes zero sense.

*I of course have made many mistakes in my life, but you are right, I don't understand your "other foot" question, that's for sure.

*I've heard Britney sing, and no I don't think she's a great singer, but sure she deserves to make millions, because other people have bought her records for almost 20 years now, and they think she deserves millions.

*I'll say one thing about the Kardashian girls, they are certainly 3 gorgeous young women. I don't watch their reality shows very often, but again, enough people do for them to deserve their millions.

*The creator of the Pet Rock deserved to make his money, since people purchased those things.

*I do sit back and enjoy "the ride" in most cases of my life.

*I agree that most people on this board do not have the skills Mike Vick has to play QB in the NFL.

*I don't think priorities and pay scales are out of whack, if the public is willing to pay the price for the entertainment.

*Why should I hate "the game", in this case the NFL, when it was "the player", in this case Vick, who ran the dog fighting ring in the first place? Hey, I don't even hate Mike Vick. He is taking advantage of the opportunities the NFL gave him to play again, and he is doing an amazing job of it.

I simply don't think any companies should be hiring him again as their sponsors, based on his past mistakes. Tiger Woods didn't even break any modern laws much less commit any felonies last year. (I suppose adultery was considered "breaking the law" years ago, but certainly not any more.) Yet just look at the companies that abandoned him as their sponsors! I swear the public judged Tiger more harshly then Vick!! I don't hate Mike Vick, I just don't understand why so many people are falling over themselves to "love" him again, that's all.