Tell me again what wins championships?

Chandler#81

from my point of view, as I said, it's rather simple.

what put you in the best position to win ?

- an average or above average QB with great protection line ?

- or a top QB who has to run for his life after 1.5 seconds ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from my point of view, as I said, it's rather simple.

what put you in the best position to win ?

- an average or above average QB with great protection line ?

- or a top QB who has to run for his life after 1.5 seconds ?

If only it were that simple. It's not because very few OLs fall in to either of those two categories.

Can we please stop the ridiculous "Defense wins Championships" already? It has been proven false numerous times...just look at the last 18 super bowls and you will see 15 of them had very good or great QBs that won them. QBs win championships...not defenses...not anymore in the NFL. Yes this was true in the 70's and 80's, but it is a QB driven league now, and while a great defense will help, the two teams remaining also have outstanding QBs as well.

Great defenses are great, but very rarely will they win you a championship alone. This isn't the Steel Curtain era anymore...this is the new NFL, and those cliches just don't ring true anymore. Hardest part is getting people to stop quoting and believing things that haven't been true for 10+ years now...

Edited by matter2003

Actually, SD had the top ranked D the entire season and didn't make the playoffs. The Jets had the 3rd ranked D in the league this year, but were down 17 points in the 2nd Q. The Steelers D almost let the Jets back in the game.

The Packers didn't really "outrush" the Bears--unless you count Rodgers's 39 yards. Rodgers was carving up a pretty good Bears D in the first half. The Packers top ranked D gave up 14 4th Q points to a Cutler-less Bears team.

Bottom line, you live and die by the passing performance of your QB.

The question is do you have confidence the Bills are going to correctly evaluate the QB draft class and select the right guy? The top 5 QB that's going to lead this team to the playoffs and the Super Bowl for the next decade? I do not, therefore I'd rather they select one of the blue chip defensive lineman in this draft where picking an impact starter is more likely.

Why would you feel the Bills have a better chance of correctly evaluating defensive linemen rather than quarterback? Where's the evidence? McCargo, Maybin, and Ellis didn't work out so well. The early returns on Troup and Carrington aren't great (still bitter that Rob Gronkowski is not on this team). The one impact d-linemen they drafted was Kyle Williams, but if they knew he was going to be a Pro-Bowler, they wouldn't have waited until the 5th round to nab him. They get some credit there but I also think they lucked out a little bit.

Bottom line, I don't have confidence in the Bills evaluating ANY position correctly.