The NFL needs to tear down the current draft system and replace it...

SDS

I propose a new draft with a variation of the Christmas party game white elephant where the best team picks first then the next best and so on where a team can steal the draft pick a team has made before them. If your draft pick gets stolen, you pick next. The draft picks would not become finalized until the end of each round.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the Hindsight Draft concept?

Let the collegians sign with the highest bidder.

The only draft would be among NFL players. Each year, the fourth place finisher in each division gets to draft a player on the roster of the first place team. The third place team picks one from second place, second takes one from third and first takes one from fourth.

Think of the resulting parity. "With their first pick, the Bills take Tom Brady." Years ago, we could have gotten Drew Bledsoe, Lawyer Malloy, etc. Whew! I think I better sit down before I hurt myself.

I think they need to change up the system as well. Have a 4 round draft where in each round an NFL team drafts a college team. The NFL team then has the rights to all draft eligible players from each of the 4 schools they draft.

Think about it. Do you draft a not so good team like Clemson so you get bowers? Or do you draft a more solid team all around? The panthers would draft Auburn, and the Broncos would draft 'bama. So do the Bills take then? Mizzou to get a QB and some D? Maybe Wisconsin for watt and carimi?

How about the Hindsight Draft concept?

Let the collegians sign with the highest bidder.

The only draft would be among NFL players. Each year, the fourth place finisher in each division gets to draft a player on the roster of the first place team. The third place team picks one from second place, second takes one from third and first takes one from fourth.

Think of the resulting parity. "With their first pick, the Bills take Tom Brady." Years ago, we could have gotten Drew Bledsoe, Lawyer Malloy, etc. Whew! I think I better sit down before I hurt myself.

Reminds me a little of 'Plan B' free agency.

be rewarded with those valuable lower drafts picks? Why should the worst teams be forced to settle with high draft picks and unlimited choice?

It is so back-asswards.

The NFL needs to see the light and start saddling the best teams with the highest draft picks. Let the bad teams gorge themselves on those juicy late round picks. In fact, I would like to see a lottery system where the worst teams draw balls to see who picks at the bottom of the 2nd round.

Thoughts?

The real problem is out of control salaries to new grads who haven't proved they are deserving. They should be paid the league Minimum at most and work their way up. This might discourage Agents from tampering as well, as the rewards would be lower.

I'd like the draft to start in round 4. Then you can alternate sides. So next you'd pick round 5, then round 3, then round 6, then round 2, then round 7, then finally round 1.

Once Kiper slots the picks in their appropriate spots, all that is left to do is trade picks to get what you want depending on what Kiper says is the appropriate selection for the slot.

be rewarded with those valuable lower drafts picks? Why should the worst teams be forced to settle with high draft picks and unlimited choice?

It is so back-asswards.

The NFL needs to see the light and start saddling the best teams with the highest draft picks. Let the bad teams gorge themselves on those juicy late round picks. In fact, I would like to see a lottery system where the worst teams draw balls to see who picks at the bottom of the 2nd round.

Thoughts?

It is so back-asswards.

Thoughts?

How about instituting a draft CAP for all teams, give the worst teams a higher cap based on record and current misery measurables to spend on more picks regardless of where they are projected in the draft... like a fantasy keeper league with a twist. A team could blow their wad on someone that they just can't pass up, leaving more players and FA for everyone else.

Imagine the fun in the war room as you try to bid up a player that you really are not interested in to see how much you can get the other team to spend - or the teams that get caught in the wrong end of a bidding war.

The NFL already wants and needs to limit the salary of rookies this would be a bit of a self-correcting system - teams could spend a lot on a rookie, but the winners would be those that spread their cap out over several quality picks.