How to Draft Andrew Luck

Ozymandius

It's simple to rebuild this franchise. It just takes a little bit of guts and imagination.

(1) Trade Fitzpatrick. He was the one thing keeping us from getting the #1 draft pick THIS season. Luckily, Andrew stayed in school. Do not allow Fitz a chance to interfere again. His value is at an all-time high and you could probably get a second-rounder for him, perhaps even a 2012 first-rounder from a QB-starved team.

(2) Trade Kyle Williams for a 2012 first-rounder. Just pick a team that you think will suck bad in 2012 and trade him to them. Denver? Cincinnati? Carolina again? This simultaneously accomplishes the goal of making the Bills worse while eliminating one team in competition for Luck.

(3) Use 2011 draft picks ONLY on offensive linemen and tight end. That means trading down from the #3 overall unless a stud offensive tackle emerges. The Bills already have enough good, young talent at WR and RB. Use this draft to build a strong offensive line for Luck and give him a TE safety blanket as well. Once we've drafted something like two tackles with starter potential, a backup guard, and a highly-rated tight end, trade all excess 2011 picks for 2012 picks.

(4) Start Brohm in 2011. If he begins to improve to where he might be able to win a game (I highly doubt this, LOL), then bench him and start Levi Brown. Just alternate between those two QBs all season as needed.

The idea is simple. Create a strong support system for Andrew Luck by giving him a strong o-line and receiving targets and spend the 2011 season developing the young offensive talent in those areas as much as possible. Meanwhile, DEPLETE the team everywhere else. Don't stop with just trading Kyle Williams. Trade Moats and any other good player on the roster (there aren't that many) that isn't an offensive lineman or receiving target. (I do have a soft spot for Moorman and would prefer that we keep him, though).

Coach and gameplan as normal. Don't tank games on purpose. Try to win them, develop good habits, develop the skills of the depleted roster so that they can become good backup or role players, etc. But with Brohm/Brown leading the way and no defense, the #1 draft pick in 2012 should be easily attainable even while trying to win.

Then, in 2012, Andrew Luck steps into a good situation for him with a strong o-line and strong receiving targets. And THEN you rebuild the defense. We would be contenders for the next 15 years with the QB situation settled.

It's a simple plan but it takes guts and imagination. Do the Bills front office have it in them? I doubt it.

1. There's is absolutely no way we get a 2nd rounder for Fitz, never mind a 1st rounder. Fitz is not that good.

2. I'm all for trading KW at this point while his value is at it's peak. If we're staying in a 3-4 that is. It all depends on if we're actually looking to add a new DC or change schemes.........again.

3. Trading out of the top 5 is not common and is not as easy as people make it out to be. I like the idea of drafting lineman. However, I'd like to see us get fat guys for the defensive side as well. A tight end, while a need, is not a priority.

4. Brohm won't be on this roster come next year so starting him will be difficult.

-Basically, I think the idea of purposely tanking for Luck is dumb. Who's to say that Luck doesn't pull a Manning and refuse to play for us? I don't like the idea of putting all of our eggs and future in the Luck basket. Especially since there be more QB's emerging before next years draft that undoubtedly people will fall in love with as well.

It's simple to rebuild this franchise. It just takes a little bit of guts and imagination.

(1) Trade Fitzpatrick. He was the one thing keeping us from getting the #1 draft pick THIS season. Luckily, Andrew stayed in school. Do not allow Fitz a chance to interfere again. His value is at an all-time high and you could probably get a second-rounder for him, perhaps even a 2012 first-rounder from a QB-starved team.

(2) Trade Kyle Williams for a 2012 first-rounder. Just pick a team that you think will suck bad in 2012 and trade him to them. Denver? Cincinnati? Carolina again? This simultaneously accomplishes the goal of making the Bills worse while eliminating one team in competition for Luck.

(3) Use 2011 draft picks ONLY on offensive linemen and tight end. That means trading down from the #3 overall unless a stud offensive tackle emerges. The Bills already have enough good, young talent at WR and RB. Use this draft to build a strong offensive line for Luck and give him a TE safety blanket as well. Once we've drafted something like two tackles with starter potential, a backup guard, and a highly-rated tight end, trade all excess 2011 picks for 2012 picks.

(4) Start Brohm in 2011. If he begins to improve to where he might be able to win a game (I highly doubt this, LOL), then bench him and start Levi Brown. Just alternate between those two QBs all season as needed.

The idea is simple. Create a strong support system for Andrew Luck by giving him a strong o-line and receiving targets and spend the 2011 season developing the young offensive talent in those areas as much as possible. Meanwhile, DEPLETE the team everywhere else. Don't stop with just trading Kyle Williams. Trade Moats and any other good player on the roster (there aren't that many) that isn't an offensive lineman or receiving target. (I do have a soft spot for Moorman and would prefer that we keep him, though).

Coach and gameplan as normal. Don't tank games on purpose. Try to win them, develop good habits, develop the skills of the depleted roster so that they can become good backup or role players, etc. But with Brohm/Brown leading the way and no defense, the #1 draft pick in 2012 should be easily attainable even while trying to win.

Then, in 2012, Andrew Luck steps into a good situation for him with a strong o-line and strong receiving targets. And THEN you rebuild the defense. We would be contenders for the next 15 years with the QB situation settled.

It's a simple plan but it takes guts and imagination. Do the Bills front office have it in them? I doubt it.

I like the creativity ... but then what do you do when Luck either doesn't declare again or pulls an Elway/Manning and refuses to play for anyone other than San Francisco?

I like the creativity ... but then what do you do when Luck either doesn't declare again or pulls an Elway/Manning and refuses to play for anyone other than San Francisco?

There are risks associated with any strategy but those two scenarios seem unlikely. Luck stayed to graduate and he'll be graduating next year. And there are far more examples of QBs like Bradford accepting their destiny of going to a bad team than there are of QBs pulling a Manning. Besides, Luck would hopefully be intrigued by the Bills' strong offensive line, strong receiving corps, and offensive-minded head coach under my plan.

There are risks associated with any strategy but those two scenarios seem unlikely. Luck stayed to graduate and he'll be graduating next year. And there are far more examples of QBs like Bradford accepting their destiny of going to a bad team than there are of QBs pulling a Manning. Besides, Luck would hopefully be intrigued by the Bills' strong offensive line, strong receiving corps, and offensive-minded head coach under my plan.

I hear ya', and like I said, applaud the creativity. Not trying to poo-poo it (yes, I just typed that ... I feel dirty now). I just have a feeling that part of Harbaugh's plan is to get Luck at all costs next season.

Ozymandius, explain your logic to me. How does ridding the team of all its good players in order to attain one player who MIGHT be good make any sense? Don't forget that Luck is an unknown quantity in the NFL.

It makes less sense to not try for Luck, imo. In the NFL, the rules are slanted towards the passing game, and you have to have a great talent there to succeed year in and year out.

Also, I'm not getting rid of all the good players. I'm building/keeping a good offensive line and receiving corps for Luck.

I hear ya', and like I said, applaud the creativity. Not trying to poo-poo it (yes, I just typed that ... I feel dirty now). I just have a feeling that part of Harbaugh's plan is to get Luck at all costs next season.

I'm sure Harbaugh wants him but he's too good a coach and has too much talent on the 49ers to not go at least 8-8 next year. With the #1 overall pick, the Bills would have control of the situation anyway.

even simplier yet more complex.

flip #3 pick to Arizona at #5 get an extra 2nd

flip #5 pick to Dallas at #9 get an extra 2nd

flip #9 to another team between 15-20, get another 2nd

Now you have 4 #2 picks - find two team willing to dump a 1st in 2012 for a 2nd in 2011.

Now you have 3 1st rounders for next year.

Trade the 3 first rounders plus other stuff if needed to get the #1 pick!

see simple!

We don't have to do anything like this and will still be in a position to get Luck.

Nah, we're not drafting #1 with Fitzpatrick and Williams on this team.

even simplier yet more complex.

flip #3 pick to Arizona at #5 get an extra 2nd

flip #5 pick to Dallas at #9 get an extra 2nd

flip #9 to another team between 15-20, get another 2nd

Now you have 4 #2 picks - find two team willing to dump a 1st in 2012 for a 2nd in 2011.

Now you have 3 1st rounders for next year.

Trade the 3 first rounders plus other stuff if needed to get the #1 pick!

see simple!

Too risky. My plan virtually guarantees Luck. Whoever drafts #1 next year is not going to pass on Luck for more #1 picks. QB position is too important.

It makes less sense to not try for Luck, imo. In the NFL, the rules are slanted towards the passing game, and you have to have a great talent there to succeed year in and year out.

Also, I'm not getting rid of all the good players. I'm building/keeping a good offensive line and receiving corps for Luck.

I'm sure Harbaugh wants him but he's too good a coach and has too much talent on the 49ers to not go at least 8-8 next year. With the #1 overall pick, the Bills would have control of the situation anyway.

The problem with you plan or great and powerful Oz is that it basically is am unvarnished surrender of the 2011 season for the potential (probable at best and actually merely possible benefits because the draft is as much art as it is science) for the 2012 season.

You simply do not even describe:

1. The impact on the 2011 Bills players and coaches when they transparently decide to put an inferior product on the field in the hopes of gaining benefits later. Basically the transparent rule for the players in 2011 will be that if the FO is making little effort to win in 2011 then the individual player need only make an effort to survive to get a payoff from some other team.

2. The impact on the hard built season ticket base and Bills fans simply see through the plan and choose to not spend their hard earned dollars on the 2011 Bills. Perhaps the TEAM makes such an outstanding comeback with the presence of the rookie QB Luck (my guess is that Luck does as much for the Bills performance as Peyton Manning did for Indy's results in his first year). If the Bills were to as transparently capitulate in 2011 as you suggest my guess is that at best the Bills recover their fan support in 2012 at best if ever.

3. The impact on the rest of the league is also uncertain. The biggest beneficiaries of this strategy in 2011 and likely 2012 is going to be the Jets, the Fish, the Pats, and whatever opponents face the Bills these two years as they likely can pencil in a win.

ESPM coverage is likely to center on discussing which teams benefit the most because their schedule includes a team that has said No Mas and in a sport where the margins for making the playoffs are often determined by tiebreakers and one game, the entire competitive balance of the league is thrown off by one team capitulating.

Part and parcel of the strategy you lay out is one getting rid of Fitz because he actually played a clear role in winning a couple of games. The strategy you lay out is a total repudiation of the "on any given Sunday" approach taken by the game which to a great extent is why its worth watching.

You do not even give lip service to how this franchise (and maybe even the league) survive one of its teams simply surrendering for a season (or two or more as it will take time to rebuild from this debacle).