Leach making headlines again

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5999907

Penalties could include two years' probation, recruiting restrictions and scholarship reductions.

The NCAA says the football violations occurred between August 2007 and February 2009, which would have come under former coach Mike Leach. The NCAA says the football coaching staff sent approximately 234 text messages to 45 prospective student-athletes.

Maybe Maryland got some word of this when deciding to stay away from him?

So did the golf team report themselves? :unsure:

Between August 2007 and November 2008, the head men's golf coach and the former assistant men's golf coach sent approximately 399 impermissible text messages to six prospective student-athletes and 25 impermissible text messages to a parent.
Edited by Booster4324

Yeah, already saw it earlier. Sounds like it was pervasive throughout the athletic program though - over 1000 ' illegal ' text messages to athletic recruits, of which 234 were associated with the football program.

Surprised at 3 things -

1) That TT blew the whistle on themselves;

2) The timing - maybe TT is trying to influence public opinion in the final stages of Leach's lawsuit;

3) The former hoops coach Bobby Knight isn't involved!

UConn had some of the same things for some of the men's basketball recruiters.

This day and age, I just don't see the point of limited- or no-contact rules. And bear in mind that oftentimes, "LOL" is a text message itself. The rules are antiquated. Most communication is not formal anymore. You don't want to see recruits inundated by prospective colleges/coaches. But if they initiate communication and want to know more about a program and how they'd fit in, what's the big deal?

This is still Off the Wall, right? Are there some restrictions on what's acceptable here?

Some, but you still need to be careful about being an azzhat, and I'm not implying that Jim was.

I confess I can't control myself sometimes.

But it's an uneven line for sure.