The goal with draft day trades

Thoner7

Ok, everyone know that we need DL, OL, and LB help. I think everyone can also admit that the key to routinely competing for/winning championships is elite level QB play. Most people also seem to admit that Fitz is not on that elite level. So I propose the obvious GOALS that the Bills should have in this years draft – trade back for picks in the 2012 draft.

Obviously you need a rtade partner but if you saw the Tebow documentary then you prob noticed its a lot easier to find a partner than we think. Also the Pats trade literally every pick they have every year so its definitely doable.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

Using the draft value trade chart above….

#3 overall – If the Bills wanted to trade back in the 1st round and pick up an additional 2012 1st , we could afford to give the team we trade with a *discount* between 720 and 300 points – which is equivalent to the 25th pick in the 1st through the 28th pick in the 2nd round, while maintaining a pick in the 8-15 range. If we traded to the 10th pick that is equivalent to the 16th pick in the 2nd for example. Needless to say that per the chart, any team we trade with is getting a good deal and we are essentially getting a *free* 2012 first rounder. We should be able to do this with with some studs like AJ Green/Paterson/Newton /Dareus falling to our pick and us willing and eager to move out.

With a pick in the 8-15 range, we will easily have a chance at 1 of Quinn/Von Miller/Carimi who all fill a huge need and a good value. Everyone’s goal is to get a good player at a position of need and good value – right? If we cant get a good player we could again trade back for additional picks once again.

In the second we should also be able to trade that pick for a 2012 1st. With the 2nd round being the following day, this will give us a lot of time to speak with potential trade partners. This is a move I can see NE doing too. Some player will fall to the 2nd and some team will like said player. If we can trade our 2nd this year for a 2012 1st, and add a late round pick in the process I think it’s a no brainer. This draft is not very deep and if we cant get a higher pick in next years draft it will benefit us more in the long term – what 2nd rounder is going to make an impact for us immediately anyways?

That would give us 3 picks in the 1st round next year, one of which we got for *free* With those three picks we should be able to maneuver for Luck. We will likely be in the top 10 anyways so its not a long way to go. You may think that’s a lot to give up but we really are only *losing* our 2nd rounder from this year as the one 1st we got for free and our natural #1 should be seen as taking Luck anyways. There is the chance that we cant trade for him and in that event, o well because we have 3 first rounder’s in what is likely a stronger draft than this year’s anyway.

I don’t see us routinely competing in our division without an elite level QB and this is my best idea as to land one while picking up another good player in the process.

Obviously you need a rtade partner but if you saw the Tebow documentary then you prob noticed its a lot easier to find a partner than we think. Also the Pats trade literally every pick they have every year so its definitely doable.

Two things. First, I don't have a problem with picking up a pick or two in next year's draft, but to be honest, I'm kind of sick of losing, and would rather have a player now. I think to say that should be our goal is a little bit suspect. I think our goal should be to improve our football team as much as possible, and as soon as possible. Second, either you or I need a refresher on the meaning of the word "literally".

We'll grab Mallett with the 3rd-overall pick this April, and he'll be our ' franchise QB ' in 2-3 years. Fitz will serve us well until then.

Regarding trades and NE*, they* have a boatload of picks to play with this draft - I imagine *they'll somehow acquire the #1-overall pick (Andrew Luck) in next year's draft by trading picks and players to multiple crappy teams as this draft draws near. Sucks, but that's just the way it is. That's how they* do things, and the ball always seem to bounce right into their* arms.

Two things. First, I don't have a problem with picking up a pick or two in next year's draft, but to be honest, I'm kind of sick of losing, and would rather have a player now. I think to say that should be our goal is a little bit suspect. I think our goal should be to improve our football team as much as possible, and as soon as possible. Second, either you or I need a refresher on the meaning of the word "literally".

Your strategy might make us better in 2011, but what about 2012? 2013? Or 2020? I think giving up 1 pick in this draft is a small price to pay.

Literally -- actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy: The city was literally destroyed.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/literally

Also, are you so sure none of the top QBs this year are franchise material?

Yes. The only one even remotely worth #3 is Newton and that’s only if he is a football genius which I don’t believe he is. I wont be sitting down with him in a film room between now and April like Gailey/Nix are going to tho. And IF he is that he is headed to Carolina. What I do know is Mallet and Locker stink, and that Blaine Gabberts only touter is McShay which doesn’t bode well for him.

Look, just give it up. We are NOT getting Luck. No matter what. Just not going to happen. The only way the Bills will get Luck is to go out and lose enough games next year.

Well not with that attitude we’re not! Like I said the only way to routinely compete for championships is with elite level QB play and I want championships!!! We don’t have to lose every game there are other avenues to take.

Ok, everyone know that we need DL, OL, and LB help. I think everyone can also admit that the key to routinely competing for/winning championships is elite level QB play. Most people also seem to admit that Fitz is not on that elite level. So I propose the obvious GOALS that the Bills should have in this years draft – trade back for picks in the 2012 draft.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

Using the draft value trade chart above….

#3 overall – If the Bills wanted to trade back in the 1st round and pick up an additional 2012 1st , we could afford to give the team we trade with a *discount* between 720 and 300 points – which is equivalent to the 25th pick in the 1st through the 28th pick in the 2nd round, while maintaining a pick in the 8-15 range. If we traded to the 10th pick that is equivalent to the 16th pick in the 2nd for example. Needless to say that per the chart, any team we trade with is getting a good deal and we are essentially getting a *free* 2012 first rounder. We should be able to do this with with some studs like AJ Green/Paterson/Newton /Dareus falling to our pick and us willing and eager to move out.

With a pick in the 8-15 range, we will easily have a chance at 1 of Quinn/Von Miller/Carimi who all fill a huge need and a good value. Everyone’s goal is to get a good player at a position of need and good value – right? If we cant get a good player we could again trade back for additional picks once again.

In the second we should also be able to trade that pick for a 2012 1st. With the 2nd round being the following day, this will give us a lot of time to speak with potential trade partners. This is a move I can see NE doing too. Some player will fall to the 2nd and some team will like said player. If we can trade our 2nd this year for a 2012 1st, and add a late round pick in the process I think it’s a no brainer. This draft is not very deep and if we cant get a higher pick in next years draft it will benefit us more in the long term – what 2nd rounder is going to make an impact for us immediately anyways?

That would give us 3 picks in the 1st round next year, one of which we got for *free* With those three picks we should be able to maneuver for Luck. We will likely be in the top 10 anyways so its not a long way to go. You may think that’s a lot to give up but we really are only *losing* our 2nd rounder from this year as the one 1st we got for free and our natural #1 should be seen as taking Luck anyways. There is the chance that we cant trade for him and in that event, o well because we have 3 first rounder’s in what is likely a stronger draft than this year’s anyway.

I don’t see us routinely competing in our division without an elite level QB and this is my best idea as to land one while picking up another good player in the process.

Thet thing I remember reading before my head exploded was "That would give us 3 picks in the first round next year.."

So do the Patriots literally trade every pick they have every year?

In 2009 the Patriots picks were traded or the patriots selected a player with a pick they didn’t naturally obtain, 9 times in the first 3 rounds. They only selected 1 player with their naturally obtained pick. In 2010 their picks were traded 10 times and NE did not draft a single player with a pick they naturally obtained.

That’s 19 trades and 1 true pick in the first 3 rounds.

So yes, they literally trade every pick they have.

Someone's going to trade us their first round pick in the next draft for our second round pick this year? Has anybody been so desperate to do that before?

Carolina did it in 2009, SF had their 1st in 2010. We turned down the same offer to take Byrd.

NE did it last year with their 3rd and has Car 2nd this year.

Its been quasi-agreed upon I guess that a 2nd in the current year is worth a 1 in the following year and so on.

Carolina did it in 2009, SF had their 1st in 2010. We turned down the same offer to take Byrd.

NE did it last year with their 3rd and has Car 2nd this year.

Its been quasi-agreed upon I guess that a 2nd in the current year is worth a 1 in the following year and so on.

Thanks for the info...looks like San Fran traded not only their 2nd but also their 4th to get Carolina's 2010 1st which makes more sense.

Yes. The only one even remotely worth #3 is Newton and that’s only if he is a football genius which I don’t believe he is. I wont be sitting down with him in a film room between now and April like Gailey/Nix are going to tho. And IF he is that he is headed to Carolina. What I do know is Mallet and Locker stink, and that Blaine Gabberts only touter is McShay which doesn’t bode well for him.

You need to pay more attention. Kiper has Gabbert ranked even higher, at 9th overall and the top QB.

Edited by Tortured Soul

You need to pay more attention. Kiper has Gabbert ranked even higher, at 9th overall and the top QB.

Kinda reminds me of about this time last year when Kiper had Clausen at #9 (taken #48) over Tebow (taken #25). These draft gurus don't know squat.

AMEN

When are we people on here every going to want the Bills to try to win? Why does it have to take years and years and years and years for us to get better? Let's get the best players we can get to fill our weaknesses and make a run at this thing.

I'm tired of waiting to win. The heck with 2012 and 2013 and 2014 and I've even seen 2015 mentioned. There's no time like the present.