Jim on Dan Patrick

jwolf02

A rematch of their "classic" USFL game!

Oh, yeah - I never even thought about that. If that was the greatest game nobody saw, this may have been the greatest game we all saw!......I really loved watching Steve Young.

In his book "Armed and Dangerous", Kelly stated that "no alcohol ever passed through these lips within 48 hours of a game"...would seem weird if he wrote that and then came on a show and said he used to get hammered...

Oh, yeah - I never even thought about that. If that was the greatest game nobody saw, this may have been the greatest game we all saw!......I really loved watching Steve Young.

I recorded a re-broadcast of that game, years ago, on ESPN Classic...it was like watching Kelly & Young playing competitive catch...

I always think Steve Young gets overlooked in discussions of the all-time greats. He lived under the shadow of Montana, and, I suppose, didn't have a really long career,as he was a back-up for a lot of his career...but the guy was terrific when the team was his. His "scramble" against the Vikings is still, IMO, one of the great plays in NFL history. And he did this stuff pretty routinely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8P1TzqWEgY

Edited by Buftex

I recorded a re-broadcast of that game, years ago, on ESPN Classic...it was like watching Kelly & Young playing competitive catch...

I always think Steve Young gets overlooked in discussions of the all-time greats. He lived under the shadow of Montana, and, I suppose, didn't have a really long career,as he was a back-up for a lot of his career...but the guy was terrific when the team was his. His "scramble" against the Vikings is still, IMO, one of the great plays in NFL history. And he did this stuff pretty routinely.

youtube.com/watch?v=O8P1TzqWEgY

Agreed. Young was a gamer for sure

This is an exerpt from DP's Just My Type column in the JAN 10 SI:

DP: When you were playing, did ever have a late night that affected you the next day?

JK: No. The only thing I ever had the night before a game was a glass of wine at dinner if we were on the road and we'd gone to an Italian restaraunt. You have to remember, I called the plays. It was tough eough doing it with a straight head and six concussions, let alone trying to do it with a hangover. But I know there are players who have. [Laughs].

DP: OK, don't name names. But what's the worst you saw?

JK: Hangover?

DP: Yeah. Did anyone throw up?

JK: Well, I threw up before every game. Everybody could have said I had a hangover.

DP: Every single game?

JK: Every game, including high school. Even basketball. The interesting thing about it was, we were so superstitious [in Buffalo] that my offensive line would not leave the locker room until I threw up every game. I shouldn't say I threw up every game. Probably 95 percent of the time. But the times I didn't think I needed to or it wasn't one of those games where I was so pumped up-like if we had [already] clinched-those games the offensive line wouldn't leave. So I went in there and pretended, just to keep those guys happy.

So in other words no hangover.

I've always blamed Jim Kelly for losing SB 25. Not so much for being hungover, though he probably was, but for not using Thurman Thomas more when it was obvious the Giants were throwing everything into pass protection. Thurman was gashing them the few times he got to carry the ball. I bet all of you remember "Wide Right" but did you know that Thurman was shoestring tackled by the last Giant defender one play earlier? Kelly wanted SB MVP and took it as a challenge to his manhood that Parcells/Bellicheck tried to stop his vaunted air attack. If he wasn't such a pompous prick and adjusted his play calling to take advantage of what the Giants were giving him, I firmly believe we would have won that game.

PTR

I firmly believe that unless Jim told you that is what happened, you have no idea what you are talking about. Somehow I expected better from you being a senior on the board. I guess I was wrong.