New draft strategy

Thoner7

Seeing as how Dez Bryant was a top 5 talent in last years draft, and he fell into the 20s because of non-football reason (hanging with Deon and then lying about it) I think the Bills should use this to draft top tier talent with great value this year.

Rd1: If we win Sunday we will likely be picking 7 or 8 – just missing out on all the top 5 talent, or will we? Robert Quinn, 6’4 270lbs from NC coulda been a top 5 lock if he played this year, but he was suspended for meeting with agents. He could play 4-3 DE or 34 OLB, but likely more of a fit at DE. I honestly see him falling into the 20’s just like Bryant did last year, so maybe the Bills could trade back into the teens, add some much needed picks, and still get him. He is risky having not played in many games but that hasn’t hurt JPP this year with the Gmen and he should not be compared to Maybin bc they are not similar players in any way. Getting a top 5 talent outside the top 5 is always a great thing.

RD2: Quinn’s teammate Marvin Austin, DT/DE was also suspended for the same reason as Quinn. Austin is 6’3’’ and 310 and quick as a cat, he plays like Warren Sap but obviously not as good. He could play 3 or 5 tech for Buffalo, assuming we use more of a 1 gap 3-4 (like Wade runs, not like the Steelers run) if that is what we decide to do. Regardless he is a good player and good players can play anywhere. He was a top 25 prospect until suspension and will be on the board when we draft in the 2nd. Top 25 prospects in the 2nd round is great value.

RD3: Mark Herzlich, 6’4’’ 240 LB from Boston College. He started every game his first 3 years at BC, earning AA honors after his Jr year and made the freshman AA team. He was a finalist for the Butkis award as the nation’s top LB. He was ranked as the 45th best Pro prospect that year, before deciding to return for his Senior year in what should have been 2009. He was diagnosed with Cancer in May of ‘09, and remarkable was cancer free by mid September of ‘09. This did cause him to miss the 2009 season and return – understandably not at 100% - in 2010. He has the size to play at LB in the 34 and the skills to succeed in the 43. This is a monster in the waiting. Drafting a late first round talent from 2009 in the 3rd round of 2010= great value.

RD4: I’m not sure if he will still be on the board here but the LT from ‘Bama, James Carpenter, is a road grading stud. He hasn’t been suspended or anything but he could be a starter for our OL at G or RT. I really like him so I had to put him in here.

In conclusion we could have landed 3 first round talents with our first 3 picks which fill 3 of our biggest needs, and add a very talented OLman who is being under rated by everyone and their mother, who also fills a huge need. A+ draft grade.

Please feel free to add any other players who you think will slide for stupid reasons, ie suspensions, testing positive for weed, disease, injury, slow 40 times, etc. *I didn’t mention Pryor cause I don’t want him for anything but WR and he hasn’t declared yet*

If we draft again around the # 9 slot, Mr. Lennon. Why would that be any different than last year when we drafted there in a heartbeat?

They'll draft the fastest DB available, the crowd will go crazy and the board will be on suicide watch.

Howabout drafting the best football players? The best leaders?

That was the point of this thread. All of these guys are great players who will not be drafted as high as they should be for reason that have nothing to do with football.

2 were suspended for meeting with agents and accepting gifts (the gifts were free flights to Miami/California to train with NFL football players at the agents training facility, and some diamond jewelry) and 1 had cancer – hardly a character concern. The 4th rounder is a steal in the 4th IMO and has no off field issues to my knowledge. I don’t know any of them personally but Herzlich seems like a real leader and I think Carpenter is the senoir leader on the very good ‘Bama OL.

Just trying to spark some debate here and find out if there are other players like these guys out there I don’t know about.

That was the point of this thread. All of these guys are great players who will not be drafted as high as they should be for reason that have nothing to do with football.

2 were suspended for meeting with agents and accepting gifts (the gifts were free flights to Miami/California to train with NFL football players at the agents training facility, and some diamond jewelry) and 1 had cancer – hardly a character concern. The 4th rounder is a steal in the 4th IMO and has no off field issues to my knowledge. I don’t know any of them personally but Herzlich seems like a real leader and I think Carpenter is the senoir leader on the very good ‘Bama OL.

Just trying to spark some debate here and find out if there are other players like these guys out there I don’t know about.

I'm all over Austin if he is there in the 2nd. Kid is going to be a player.

I'm not so sure that Quinn falls out of the top 5. Does anyone know...will he be able to participate in the senior bowl and/or the combine?

If he has stayed in good football shape, he might be the 2nd or 3rd defender off the board. The guy is an exceptional player, and a physical freak. He could make it really difficult for teams to pass up on him come draft day.

I know I often "gush" about Quinn on this board. Truth be told...I'd much rather have Fairley. He's the type of player that could significantly improve a defense.

I'm not so sure that Quinn falls out of the top 5. Does anyone know...will he be able to participate in the senior bowl and/or the combine?

If he has stayed in good football shape, he might be the 2nd or 3rd defender off the board. The guy is an exceptional player, and a physical freak. He could make it really difficult for teams to pass up on him come draft day.

I know I often "gush" about Quinn on this board. Truth be told...I'd much rather have Fairley. He's the type of player that could significantly improve a defense.

He was only a junior this year I thought so no senior bowl. Obviously it only takes one team for him to go top 5 but seeing as Bryant fell to the 20s I could see Quinn falling just as far. FWIF If we lose this week and draft top 3/4, I wouldn’t take him unless we moved back.

1st round I'm still wishing for Bowen

2nd round Austin could be a nice pick but does he play behind Williams or next to Williams.

btw what if we keep Merriman and he returns to his glory days-DL Carrington, Williams, Austin, Bowens LBs Moats, POZ, Merriman...... we might have problems in pass coverage but that should be a sack happy front 7.

I'm all over Austin if he is there in the 2nd. Kid is going to be a player.

Pats will grab him. :doh: (BTW have I mentioned yet today that I hate the Pats??)

My new draft stragedy is to draft Pro bowl players, not players like Maybin and the other dead beat loosers.

That would be a huge improvement over the drafts of recent years!

He was only a junior this year I thought so no senior bowl. Obviously it only takes one team for him to go top 5 but seeing as Bryant fell to the 20s I could see Quinn falling just as far. FWIF If we lose this week and draft top 3/4, I wouldn’t take him unless we moved back.

Brainfart....that's right Quinn is a junior. I agree that the safer pick, if we're drafting 3 or 4, would be to go with a player like Fairley or Bowers. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised to see Quinn slip into the top 5 after the combine/team workouts. Teams will be drooling over his combination of size and speed. There certainly are risk factors involved, but (IMO) he truly is a rare defensive prospect.

Seeing as how Dez Bryant was a top 5 talent in last years draft, and he fell into the 20s because of non-football reason (hanging with Deon and then lying about it) I think the Bills should use this to draft top tier talent with great value this year.

Rd1: If we win Sunday we will likely be picking 7 or 8 – just missing out on all the top 5 talent, or will we? Robert Quinn, 6’4 270lbs from NC coulda been a top 5 lock if he played this year, but he was suspended for meeting with agents. He could play 4-3 DE or 34 OLB, but likely more of a fit at DE. I honestly see him falling into the 20’s just like Bryant did last year, so maybe the Bills could trade back into the teens, add some much needed picks, and still get him. He is risky having not played in many games but that hasn’t hurt JPP this year with the Gmen and he should not be compared to Maybin bc they are not similar players in any way. Getting a top 5 talent outside the top 5 is always a great thing.

RD2: Quinn’s teammate Marvin Austin, DT/DE was also suspended for the same reason as Quinn. Austin is 6’3’’ and 310 and quick as a cat, he plays like Warren Sap but obviously not as good. He could play 3 or 5 tech for Buffalo, assuming we use more of a 1 gap 3-4 (like Wade runs, not like the Steelers run) if that is what we decide to do. Regardless he is a good player and good players can play anywhere. He was a top 25 prospect until suspension and will be on the board when we draft in the 2nd. Top 25 prospects in the 2nd round is great value.

RD3: Mark Herzlich, 6’4’’ 240 LB from Boston College. He started every game his first 3 years at BC, earning AA honors after his Jr year and made the freshman AA team. He was a finalist for the Butkis award as the nation’s top LB. He was ranked as the 45th best Pro prospect that year, before deciding to return for his Senior year in what should have been 2009. He was diagnosed with Cancer in May of ‘09, and remarkable was cancer free by mid September of ‘09. This did cause him to miss the 2009 season and return – understandably not at 100% - in 2010. He has the size to play at LB in the 34 and the skills to succeed in the 43. This is a monster in the waiting. Drafting a late first round talent from 2009 in the 3rd round of 2010= great value.

RD4: I’m not sure if he will still be on the board here but the LT from ‘Bama, James Carpenter, is a road grading stud. He hasn’t been suspended or anything but he could be a starter for our OL at G or RT. I really like him so I had to put him in here.

In conclusion we could have landed 3 first round talents with our first 3 picks which fill 3 of our biggest needs, and add a very talented OLman who is being under rated by everyone and their mother, who also fills a huge need. A+ draft grade.

Please feel free to add any other players who you think will slide for stupid reasons, ie suspensions, testing positive for weed, disease, injury, slow 40 times, etc. *I didn’t mention Pryor cause I don’t want him for anything but WR and he hasn’t declared yet*

Thoner, very interesting analysis and a lot of thought.

You might have great points and these guys could be great value. Or, having not played for a year, not showing at 100%, maybe not. There's something to be said for that extra year to develop.

Sometimes it seems like the Bills try to outsmart themselves. Maybin would be an example. We go for best value instead of best player and wind up with Bust.

I think there's something to the point that maybe the Bills would have been better off, overall, going with the "Best Player" as assessed by a number of media sources. I'd really like to see us take a DE or OL who is widely evaluated by most as a top prospect. Bowers or Carimi would make me grin like the Cheshire Cat. Any other LB, DL, or OL widely regarded as a total beast would make me smile.

I'm really afraid we'll be drafting a WR or a CB or something.

1st round, Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson. Cornerstone of Defense :thumbsup:

2nd round Jake Locker QB Washington. Jack Kemp, Joe Ferguson, Jim Kelly now Jake. B-)

3rd round Jeremy Beal OLB, Oklahoma. Can get a pass rush please!!! :rolleyes:

4th round Casey Matthews ILB, Oregon. 3-4 linsbackers are needed. :devil:

4th round part two. Chris Hairston OT, Clemson. Blocked for CJ before. :blush:

5th Round Davonte Shannon SS Buffalo. Hometowner to take Whitners spot. :beer:

6th Round Zach Pianalto TE, North Carolina. This guy has a TE name. :bag:

7th Round Cliff Matthews OLB, South Carolina Can get a pass rush please part two! :blink:

I love how everyone says that we picked Spiller because he was BPA. WRONG. Dez was BPA and I still think we should've taken a chance on him. Paired him with Stevie and let Lee take a hike.

Yeah, except Stevie would have never seen the field given how Bryant would very likely have beaten him out for the #2 spot. Then we'd never had seen what he could do with more playing time. Taking Spiller was smarter in this regard, because we've evaluated a previous question mark on our roster leading into the season.

I like the NC guys. Carter and Sturdivant(sp) are another two guys I am interested in. I think if that entire defense played together, there's be a lot more buzz surrounding all of them.