QB Draft Grades

I thought it would be fun to post ESPN's Quarterback draft grades for the last 4 years. I included all the 1st round QBs and a few 2nd rounders as well. The ESPN grade is a mean average of the grades of Kiper, McShay, and the Scouts Inc guys.

Of course even a consensus of experienced talent evaluators is going to make misjudgments but it's fun to compare numbers.

One thing that has been said over and over is that Andrew Luck is the highest ranked quarterback since Matt Ryan. This is significant in that many posters here only view QB prospects relative to their draft class and not relative to other draft classes. It's not every year a player is as highly ranked as he is.

It looks like ESPN missed the boat on Joe Flacco even if NFL scouts didn't. He was rated lower than Brohm and Henne by ESPN but was drafted before them. Flacco's not a great player but a pretty good one. I think the fact that he played at Delaware had a lot to do with his low grade.

ESPN also seems to have discounted Josh Freeman a bit too much as well. Seems like Freeman is gonna be a real good one, possible great someday.

You can see where last year's QB class after Bradford was not considered a good one in contrast to how 2011 is looking at the moment...although it won't be until late April that the grades are finalized.

Finally I know there's a lot of skepticism about Blaine Gabbert being rated so highly. Anyways, have at it.

Matt Ryan 98

Brian Brohm 93

Chad Henne 90

Joe Flacco 89

Matthew Stafford 96

Mark Sanchez 95

Josh Freeman 85

Sam Bradford 97

Jimmy Clausen 89

Colt McCoy 86

Tim Tebow 78

Andrew Luck 98

Blaine Gabbert 93

Cam Newton 90

Ryan Mallett 90

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blaine gabbert the Mizzou QB right? He is a jr I believe, btu consider me very underwhelmed by him this year. Typlical 6-6, 245lber who looks the part but doenst have it mentally. He reacted, never anticipated, and seems slow. Thumbs down.

They couldn't have been more wrong about Freeman. I've seen a fair number of his games, and this kid is a player. He's going to be damn good once he gets more experience. I'd love to have a kid like that in B-lo.

A few more years:

Matt Leinart 98

Vince Young 97

Jay Cutler 96

JaMarcus Russell 98

Brady Quinn 97

Matt Ryan 98

Brian Brohm 93

Chad Henne 90

Joe Flacco 89

Matthew Stafford 96

Mark Sanchez 95

Josh Freeman 85

Sam Bradford 97

Jimmy Clausen 89

Colt McCoy 86

Tim Tebow 78

Andrew Luck 98

Blaine Gabbert 93

Jake Locker 92 (edit)

Cam Newton 90

Ryan Mallett 90

"A premier college player with all the physical tools to take over a game and play at a championship level. He demonstrates elite-to-rare NFL potential and rates in the top 5 players nationally at his position. A prospect with a grade of 99 or 100 is rare. Prospects carrying grades between 92-98 are considered mid-to-high first rounders, while prospects grading out between 90-91 are fringe first rounders." Looks to me like their QB grades are not terribly accurate as far as projecting who will do well in the NFL.

They couldn't have been more wrong about Freeman. I've seen a fair number of his games, and this kid is a player. He's going to be damn good once he gets more experience. I'd love to have a kid like that in B-lo.

Yeah you're right, zepp.

I hear he is very mature and very professional. He's also racked up an impressive number of 4th quarter comebacks in just two seasons.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Of these Ryan is the only one who I would want as our starter.

Sam Bradford is having a historically significant rookie season having already broken Peyton Mannings record for most completions by a rookie. He's also been a huge reason the Rams are in contention for a playoff spot after not appearing in the playoffs for 7 years and only winning one game last year.

Bradford also went 169 passes without an interception earlier this year (another rookie record) and has rarely if ever, looked overwhelmed in his rookie season. Looks to me like he's gonna be an elite quarterback.

I would love to have Josh Freeman as a Bill also.

And Matthew Stafford has looked great when he's played…but he's been very injury prone in his first two years and has only played in 13 games.

It's really been great having this kid in town. I listen to Atlanta sports talk radio every day on the way in to work, so I hear a lot of his interviews and pressers. He really comes off like a class act, and his game has gotten better each year. He's made some amazingly accurate, clutch passes this season. The game against Tampa was particularly fun to watch...two of the games yougest and best QBs, Ryan and Freeman. These two will still be going at it ten years from now in the NFC South. :thumbsup:

Sam Bradford is having a historically significant rookie season having already broken Peyton Mannings record for most completions by a rookie. He's also been a huge reason the Rams are in contention for a playoff spot after not appearing in the playoffs for 7 years and only winning one game last year.

Bradford also went 169 passes without an interception earlier this year (another rookie record) and has rarely if ever, looked overwhelmed in his rookie season. Looks to me like he's gonna be an elite quarterback.

And Matthew Stafford has looked great when he's played…but he's been very injury prone in his first two years and has only played in 13 games.

Stafford is really the ONLY reason I have any hope for Mallett, if we were to draft him. Two completely different QBs, yes, but I honestly thought Stafford was WAY overrated coming out of Georgia. He obviously still has a lot to prove, but I figured he'd have about the same success (or lack thereof) as Alex Smith of the 49ers. Stafford is a good kid, and he comes from a very well-grounded family, but I just never saw much moxi in the guy. I never saw a game of his where I was just like, "damn, this kid is GOOD!". That's similar to my criticism of Mallett, except I'm less hopeful for Lurch than I was for Matthew. If we draft him, I really hope I'm completely off base in my assessment just like I (apparently) have been with Stafford.

I am just not sold on Mallet, maybe it is just mechanics but the ball seems to come out slow on the out patterns he throws, has a lot of arc on deeper passes, and is not a very tight spiral. Probably over-analyzing it, but I just see his passes getting picked off when things are moving at NFL speeds.

Indoors those things may not pose much of an issue, but in the swirling winds of the Ralph or at Gillette a tight spiral on the ball and keeping a lower trajectory is the key to accuracy. Brady has mastered that and it shows in all those "snow" games - Kelly was no slouch at keeping a tight spin on the ball and throwing it on a rope as well. Fitz has a tight throw, but his decision-making of late has been a bit suspect and he has not shown consistent accuracy. He can thread the needle on one play, and wildly over or under throw the next. Some of that may be caused by the routes run by the rookie receivers - what do I know?

I am just not sold on Mallet, maybe it is just mechanics but the ball seems to come out slow on the out patterns he throws, has a lot of arc on deeper passes, and is not a very tight spiral. Probably over-analyzing it, but I just see his passes getting picked off when things are moving at NFL speeds.

Indoors those things may not pose much of an issue, but in the swirling winds of the Ralph or at Gillette a tight spiral on the ball and keeping a lower trajectory is the key to accuracy. Brady has mastered that and it shows in all those "snow" games - Kelly was no slouch at keeping a tight spin on the ball and throwing it on a rope as well. Fitz has a tight throw, but his decision-making of late has been a bit suspect and he has not shown consistent accuracy. He can thread the needle on one play, and wildly over or under throw the next. Some of that may be caused by the routes run by the rookie receivers - what do I know?

You're not over-analyzing, man...lol

Glad to see Tebow doing so poorly, he is definitely earning that 78. 308 yds, 2 TDs, come from behind win, we were lucky to pass over him. :wallbash:

Look BB…I know you worship at the church of Tim Tebow and have been on a Tebow crusade and that's fine.

But you're gonna say "I told you so" after just one statistically decent game?

We'll see.

"Blaine gabbert the Mizzou QB right? He is a jr I believe, btu consider me very underwhelmed by him this year. Typlical 6-6, 245lber who looks the part but doenst have it mentally. He reacted, never anticipated, and seems slow. Thumbs down."

I wouldn't say slow. Ive seen him out run defensive backs. He runs probably in the 4.5's. However he surely isn't "quick". His lateral movement is terrible. I don't like the way he moves in the pocket and he holds the ball too long. I have watched every single one of his games this year. I do like his arm/smarts/ and his toughness.

I wonder how Sam Bradford does if he played in an actual NFL division like the AFC East instead of the JV NFC West?

PTR

I wonder how Sam Bradford does if he played in an actual NFL division like the AFC East instead of the JV NFC West?

PTR

So your point is what? You don't know how good he is? Or you don't think he's any good?

Without actually offering an opinion, your comment becomes snarky and worthless.

Do you have an opinion on Sam Bradford? He's had good games outside his division…and he's a rookie on a previously horrible team.

When it comes to leadership, Freeman is mature way beyond his age. The way he runs the team and commands the huddle is amazing. Tampa's got a very young team and he's grabbed them firmly by the reigns and taken control of everything. That's something that can't be understated and can't be measured.

The sick thing is that Freeman has only thrown 6 INTs this year to 23 TDs.

So your point is what? You don't know how good he is? Or you don't think he's any good?

Without actually offering an opinion, your comment becomes snarky and worthless.

Do you have an opinion on Sam Bradford? He's had good games outside his division…and he's a rookie on a previously horrible team.

Here's my point: I'm sick of the double-standard #1 picks get. Sam Bradford may be the next Tom Brady but in 2010 he was fairly average. His stats are average. He plays in the worst division in the NFL. He has only one win versus a team with a winning record. The Rams played one of the easier schedules in the NFL. But he's the man!

Meanwhile Fitz played at a very high level against murderous competition and did very well but he's "just a backup."

So how about being fair when comparing QB's instead of giving a knob job to very average QB's who happen to be #1 draft picks?

PTR

Here's my point: I'm sick of the double-standard #1 picks get. Sam Bradford may be the next Tom Brady but in 2010 he was fairly average. His stats are average. He plays in the worst division in the NFL. He has only one win versus a team with a winning record. The Rams played one of the easier schedules in the NFL. But he's the man!

Meanwhile Fitz played at a very high level against murderous competition and did very well but he's "just a backup."

So how about being fair when comparing QB's instead of giving a knob job to very average QB's who happen to be #1 draft picks?

PTR

Fitz ranks 20th in yards

hes 21st in ypc

hes 18th in yds/game

hes 11th in tds

hes thrown the 8th most INTs

hes 21st in QB rating.

his numbers are less than average.

How is that performing at a very high level?? He's played well, but not well enough to win close games.