Terrelle Pryor

Cannon

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost seems like he has to now. This will basically ruin his chances @ having a "Newton-esque" Senoir campaign @ Ohio State. I also don't see how he could help himself by staying now. It will likely take atleast 2 or 3 weeks to find a rythm with his teammates giving him like 5 or 6 games to show he's improved. I don't know, I don't really think much of the guy as an NFL QB. Maybe a WR or something.

Suspended half a season for getting some free ink. The NCAA is absolutely ridiculous.

Yep, they are out of their minds and out of control. They have no problem making millions of dollars off of these kids, and pimping them in the spotlight so the games get TV ratings, but the players arent allowed to be given a tattoo because of their status? Enough is enough.

Edited by DrDankenstein

This will basically ruin his chances @ having a "Newton-esque" Senoir campaign @ Ohio State.

Actually, his chances were ruined basically by the fact that he's not nearly as talented as Newton and that he chose to play for Ohio State--no chance for such a year ever existed for this kid.

Anyway, how dumb are these guys? Don't they know thaty you are supposed to get the swag/cash BEFORE they sign with a team??

Cam Newton is a genius.

Yep, they are out of their minds and out of control. They have no problem making millions of dollars off of these kids, and pimping them in the spotlight so the games get TV ratings, but the players arent allowed to be given a tattoo because of their status? Enough is enough.

I'm usually the type of person who will say, "rules are rules", but I completely disagree with the NCAA on this one. They should have every right to sell their OWN STUFF if they choose to. It's okay to give them free shoes or other perks when the school has a sponsor, but they can't use their own signatures or property for extra money when they need/want it? That's absurd.

I'm usually the type of person who will say, "rules are rules", but I completely disagree with the NCAA on this one. They should have every right to sell their OWN STUFF if they choose to. It's okay to give them free shoes or other perks when the school has a sponsor, but they can't use their own signatures or property for extra money when they need/want it? That's absurd.

Exactly.

I understand that it can be used as a way to launder money from agents, but I think it's pretty easy to investigate and find out who they are selling to. As stupid as I think it is to sell that stuff (I would want to hold onto it), it is THEIR PROPERTY.

And the most hypocritical of moves: not suspending them for the last game this year, because its the big money Bowl game and the NCAA doesnt want to lose interest (money).

Exactly.

I understand that it can be used as a way to launder money from agents, but I think it's pretty easy to investigate and find out who they are selling to. As stupid as I think it is to sell that stuff (I would want to hold onto it), it is THEIR PROPERTY.

And the most hypocritical of moves: not suspending them for the last game this year, because its the big money Bowl game and the NCAA doesnt want to lose interest (money).

Yep right on. If the NCAA had any integrity whilst applying their "rules" then those players should be suspended immediately. But then Allstate and the network would flip their s**t. Can't upset the apple cart, especially when it's filled with hundreds of millions of dollars.

Yep right on. If the NCAA had any integrity whilst applying their "rules" then those players should be suspended immediately. But then Allstate and the network would flip their s**t. Can't upset the apple cart, especially when it's filled with hundreds of millions of dollars.

and those kids better not try to get ANY of it!!

You mean the free education, room and board they get? Are you kidding me? Do you realize what the cost of a four year degree at a college like Ohio State is ?? They are getting what they deserve. I agree with Chris Speilman!

Edited by seq004

You mean the free education, room and board they get? Are you kidding me? Do you realize what the cost of a four year degree at a college like Ohio State is ?? They are getting what they deserve. I agree with Chris Speilman!

What did Chris Spielman say?

And I typically feel the same way as you do. I have school loans that I'll be paying until I'm 6 feet under, so I agree that they get PLENTY of free stuff, including the education. That's why I am typically against them getting paid or whatever. But their own property is a different issue, IMO. Like the good Dr said, it's not hard to trace the money trail to make sure there isn't anything illegal going on with regard to boosters, agents, etc. And most items that you can sell have some sort of "book value" anyway, so as long as it was being done within reason, I don't see how you can tell anyone they can't sell their own propery or their signature. That's where I would draw the line if I were in charge...

...I'd also have "naked friday" for females on campus too, which is probalby why I"m NOT in charge :w00t:

You mean the free education, room and board they get? Are you kidding me? Do you realize what the cost of a four year degree at a college like THE Ohio State is ?? They are getting what they deserve. I agree with Chris Speilman!

FIXED.

I agree. It is principle. We wonder why the guys go on to be pro's and snuff the law, act like a young Randy Moss, Brendan Marshall, Travis Henry, etc.

The athletes should receive a stipend from the NCAA not the schools individually. Just like an inmate, they are given free room and board and then on top of that an education. Just like an inmate they should be paid something for the amount they practice, which is their job. Four hours of competition a week, four hours of practice a day and 2 hours of study hall twice a week @ $2.50/hr would be $70/week. That plus, room and board and an education and intangible benefits is a great deal. The intangible benefits are massages from staff, top notch health care, laundry services (you just throw a few of your clothes in the laundry bag), and many more things.

If you are an NCAA athlete on scholarship and decide to leave school early to turn pro or fail out you should be forced to repay the institution. If you are a student not on scholarship I think it is a joke.

Also, Title 9 and NCAA baseball is a joke.

And most items that you can sell have some sort of "book value" anyway...

If Cam Newton signed a piece of anything it would automatically gain value. Simply signing his charge card agreement makes it worth more then the pack of gum he purchased. I find that hilarious that these guys can sign a $12 hat and suddenly it is worth $200 that some shaddy fellow will sell.

Edited by jboyst62

What did Chris Spielman say?

And I typically feel the same way as you do. I have school loans that I'll be paying until I'm 6 feet under, so I agree that they get PLENTY of free stuff, including the education. That's why I am typically against them getting paid or whatever. But their own property is a different issue, IMO. Like the good Dr said, it's not hard to trace the money trail to make sure there isn't anything illegal going on with regard to boosters, agents, etc. And most items that you can sell have some sort of "book value" anyway, so as long as it was being done within reason, I don't see how you can tell anyone they can't sell their own propery or their signature. That's where I would draw the line if I were in charge...

...I'd also have "naked friday" for females on campus too, which is probalby why I"m NOT in charge :w00t:

He said that selling their own property for profit is CLEARLY a violation and that these players were well aware of it and they should stop playing stupid like they didn't know. They screwed up. Period. They and Ohio State now must pay the penalty. Selling their Big Ten rings for profit is clearly a no no. Paraphrasing of course but came pretty close to just calling them stupid and I agree. For tats? Come on. Thats NOT a necessity.

He said that selling their own property for profit is CLEARLY a violation and that these players were well aware of it and they should stop playing stupid like they didn't know. They screwed up. Period. They and Ohio State now must pay the penalty. Selling their Big Ten rings for profit is clearly a no no. Paraphrasing of course but came pretty close to just calling them stupid and I agree. For tats? Come on. Thats NOT a necessity.

And people must remember Chris Spielman bleeds THE Ohio State red. He is the epitome of a Buckeye, raised in Massillon, Ohio, attending THE Ohio State University. Him saying that is huge.

Ah okay....well yeah, it is definitely the rule, can't dispute that...I just think the rule is a bit too restricting in this instance.