Bills Flashback: When Big Ben beat the Patriots

Jim Gehman

It ain’t over ‘till it’s over. Those six words were seldom more appropriate than when the Bills faced New England at Rich Stadium on November 22, 1981. With no timeouts and trailing 17-13, Buffalo had 35 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter to travel 73 yards for a touchdown. Just getting in range for Nick Mike-Mayer to attempt a field goal was clearly not an option.

The Bills lined up for what they called 90 All Go. The pass play’s first option was for quarterback Joe Ferguson to look for the halfback – in this case, veteran Roland Hooks, who was in for an injured Joe Cribbs – down the middle of the field. "Everybody took off,’ said Hooks. "The outside receivers were supposed to clear and get the defensive backs downfield and put pressure on the safeties. I was supposed to split the seam and get behind the backers, which I was lucky enough to do. The ball was slightly overthrown, and I had to dive, and I caught it with my fingertips. It was a pretty big catch."

It was indeed. The 36-yard gain left Buffalo at the Patriots’ 36-yard line. But with the much-needed time still running, Ferguson quickly threw a pass out of bounds to stop the clock with just 12 seconds remaining. As the Bills huddled, they were equally excited and confident.

"We’d got the ball deep in our own territory when the series started, so we were moving the ball," Hooks said. "I know we didn’t have a lot of time. and Big Ben was a desperation last play. But we had made up so much ground in a short period of time, and we probably would have had two shots. I don’t ever remember playing a game, particularly a close game, where we have a chance of winning, thinking, ‘We can’t do this.’ Particularly on offense, we were pretty confident that we could get the job done."

The Big Ben play that Hooks referred to called for receivers Jerry Butler and Frank Lewis to line up beside him and sprint to the end zone relatively close together and try to haul in Ferguson’s pass among New England’s defenders.

"Frank was in the middle; he was the leaper. Jerry was on the outside, and I was on in the inside. In practice Joe got most of the work, but we had run it so many times, I was familiar with the play. I don’t know that it ever worked in practice," Hooks said with a laugh. "But we had had some success with it. Jerry actually caught one against the Jets [in 1979].

"I was feeling real tired. When the signals were called and the ball was snapped, I just took off downfield and was trying to space myself because we knew that the ball was going to go up the middle to Frank. I was just trying to get in a good position; if it was deflected, I would be in a position to catch it."

Hooks was in the right position at exactly the right time. He cradled the ball, which had deflected off Patriots linebacker Mike Hawkins, for the touchdown with only five seconds left in regulation.

"I was lucky enough for things to work out that way. We were all lucky enough for it to work out that way," said Hooks "I was mobbed in the end zone. I was standing up when I caught the ball, and the next thing I knew, someone had stepped on my back, and I don’t know how many guys were on top of me. But looking at the film, there were quite a few on the pile. I had the breath knocked out of me. I think I had landed on the ball. I was just happy that I made the catch and that we came up with a win that we needed."

Excerpt from: “Then Levy Said to Kelly…”

It ain’t over ‘till it’s over. Those six words were seldom more appropriate than when the Bills faced New England at Rich Stadium on November 22, 1981. With no timeouts and trailing 17-13, Buffalo had 35 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter to travel 73 yards for a touchdown. Just getting in range for Nick Mike-Mayer to attempt a field goal was clearly not an option.

The Bills lined up for what they called 90 All Go. The pass play’s first option was for quarterback Joe Ferguson to look for the halfback – in this case, veteran Roland Hooks, who was in for an injured Joe Cribbs – down the middle of the field. "Everybody took off,’ said Hooks. "The outside receivers were supposed to clear and get the defensive backs downfield and put pressure on the safeties. I was supposed to split the seam and get behind the backers, which I was lucky enough to do. The ball was slightly overthrown, and I had to dive, and I caught it with my fingertips. It was a pretty big catch."

It was indeed. The 36-yard gain left Buffalo at the Patriots’ 36-yard line. But with the much-needed time still running, Ferguson quickly threw a pass out of bounds to stop the clock with just 12 seconds remaining. As the Bills huddled, they were equally excited and confident.

"We’d got the ball deep in our own territory when the series started, so we were moving the ball," Hooks said. "I know we didn’t have a lot of time. and Big Ben was a desperation last play. But we had made up so much ground in a short period of time, and we probably would have had two shots. I don’t ever remember playing a game, particularly a close game, where we have a chance of winning, thinking, ‘We can’t do this.’ Particularly on offense, we were pretty confident that we could get the job done."

The Big Ben play that Hooks referred to called for receivers Jerry Butler and Frank Lewis to line up beside him and sprint to the end zone relatively close together and try to haul in Ferguson’s pass among New England’s defenders.

"Frank was in the middle; he was the leaper. Jerry was on the outside, and I was on in the inside. In practice Joe got most of the work, but we had run it so many times, I was familiar with the play. I don’t know that it ever worked in practice," Hooks said with a laugh. "But we had had some success with it. Jerry actually caught one against the Jets [in 1979].

"I was feeling real tired. When the signals were called and the ball was snapped, I just took off downfield and was trying to space myself because we knew that the ball was going to go up the middle to Frank. I was just trying to get in a good position; if it was deflected, I would be in a position to catch it."

Hooks was in the right position at exactly the right time. He cradled the ball, which had deflected off Patriots linebacker Mike Hawkins, for the touchdown with only five seconds left in regulation.

"I was lucky enough for things to work out that way. We were all lucky enough for it to work out that way," said Hooks "I was mobbed in the end zone. I was standing up when I caught the ball, and the next thing I knew, someone had stepped on my back, and I don’t know how many guys were on top of me. But looking at the film, there were quite a few on the pile. I had the breath knocked out of me. I think I had landed on the ball. I was just happy that I made the catch and that we came up with a win that we needed."

Excerpt from: “Then Levy Said to Kelly…”

I was at that game. Half the stadium had left and missed it.

I remember that game well. A bit of a miracle. I was lisening to it on my AM radio on the 74 Ford Maverick (first car) and I shut it off because I thought it was over. I remember thinking that I felt bad for my Dad and little sister who were at the game. When I got home I heard they won and thought there was some kind of mistake. My Dad called me and told me he had left the stadium and heard the Hail Mary on the radio :thumbsup:

I was at the game and remember the end vividly. I remember the mass exodus of fans near the end of the game - and I turned to my brother and said I had faith - "This will be an Alcoa fantastic finish!" (referencing a popular commercial of the day). I'll never forget from my the vantage point in the end zone that pass down the middle to Hooks - it was one of the most amazing plays I have ever experienced live at a sporting event - I can still picture it. It was funny too seeing all the masses of people who minutes before had left, trying to get back into the stadium.

For those of you who aren't old enough to remember Roland Hooks, he's another real good football player who wore a Buffalo Bills uniform. Old #25 was an excellent runner, receiver, and blocker. He also returned punts and kicks. He was mostly a reserve player who started only a handful of games but he did everything well.

Thanks for posting Jim. Brings back great memories.

I was at the game and was heading out. Very cold that day, very cold. I missed the first pass to Hooks, but when the crowd let out a roar, my friend and I rushed back only to hear another roar before we could again see the field.

So, I did get to see the Bills celebrate the score.....crud.

This was my first year at school, and man was I a little homesick talking to my brother that night after he went to the game. Man I really missed going to games that fall.

So many things about that make me laugh now. Talking to my folks once a week, as long distance was way to expensive to talk more than that, and it was always Sunday night. Calling collect using a bad name, so parents would know I was at the pay phone in the dorm right then.(not proud of that now,but times was tight).

No ESPN, no USA Today, No internet,only a small blurp in the Pittsburgh POst Gazette the next day.No sports bars either. No way to see highlights of the game till praying MNF and Howard was please,please,,please going to show the Bills at halftime.

BTW, was at the Jets game mentioned when Butler caught the first Big Ben play. Know the name had something to do with Ben Williams, but for the life of me can't remember th eexact story.

We left that game early too ... my dad has never lived it down ...

We were headed out toward Southwestern Blvd when we heard the roar & "here's the replay on the scoreboard ..." on that grainy amber screen ... good times.

I have never left another game early ... I have never shut a game off on TV ...

BTW, was at the Jets game mentioned when Butler caught the first Big Ben play. Know the name had something to do with Ben Williams, but for the life of me can't remember th eexact story.

I was under the impression that the 'Big Ben' play was the play that Atlanta scored on- a pass from Steve Bartkowski to beat New Orleans in the Dome.

I was in the half that missed it. My Dad was all pissed and said "let's go". So we're walking down Abbott to someone's front lawn where the car is parked and the Stadium erupted. I'll never forget it. And I will never leave with the Bills trailing by 8 points or less. Good memory.