Reason's Greetings

Peace

Why don’t you believe in God? I get that question all the time. I always try to give a sensitive, reasoned answer. This is usually awkward, time consuming and pointless. People who believe in God don’t need proof of his existence, and they certainly don’t want evidence to the contrary. They are happy with their belief. They even say things like “it’s true to me” and “it’s faith.” I still give my logical answer because I feel that not being honest would be patronizing and impolite. It is ironic therefore that “I don’t believe in God because there is absolutely no scientific evidence for his existence and from what I’ve heard the very definition is a logical impossibility in this known universe,” comes across as both patronizing and impolite.

The existence of God is not subjective. He either exists or he doesn’t. It’s not a matter of opinion. You can have your own opinions. But you can’t have your own facts.

Entire essay:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/19/a-holiday-message-from-ricky-gervais-why-im-an-atheist/

Who knew Gervais was so eloquent?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If believing in God means I have to believe in a personified, Omnipotent, omniscient, being who created man and then decided that for man to really be perfect he need to cut off part of his @#$% then I'm an atheist.

If believing in God means believing in some sort of creative force or that in some way everything is interconnected and God loves and takes care of us the way we take care of an aquarium wanting the best but not caring if a guppy or two gets eaten then I'm an agnostic.

Most likely God is just our gratitude for and fear of, nature and each other.

Edited by ....lybob

If believing in God means I have to believe in a personified, Omnipotent, omniscient, being who created man and then decided that for man to really be perfect he need to cut off part of his @#$%...

Someone explain to me: where's the intelligent design in that?

If believing in God means I have to believe in a personified, Omnipotent, omniscient, being who created man and then decided that for man to really be perfect he need to cut off part of his @#$% then I'm an atheist.

If believing in God means believing in some sort of creative force or that in some way everything is interconnected and God loves and takes care of us the way we take care of an aquarium wanting the best but not caring if a guppy or two gets eaten then I'm an agnostic.

If we can just change the definition of what god is, then count me in.

God is a science. I believe in god.

Why don’t I believe in God? No, no no, why do YOU believe in God? Surely the burden of proof is on the believer. You started all this. If I came up to you and said, “Why don’t you believe I can fly?” You’d say, “Why would I?” I’d reply, “Because it’s a matter of faith.” If I then said, “Prove I can’t fly. Prove I can’t fly see, see, you can’t prove it can you?” You’d probably either walk away, call security or throw me out of the window and shout, ‘’F—ing fly then you lunatic.”

:thumbsup:

Science be praised!

Now that that is settled, what shall we call our new enlightened selves?

Unified Atheist League?

Unified Atheist Alliance?

Allied Atheist Alliance?

I think the UAL and UAA can co-exist peacefully, but I'll be damned if you think I'm joining up with any sea otters.

Deepak Chopra has an interesting take on God. He says that we don't understand God because we think of "him" as a person, but God is not a person, but rather a process (paraphrasing).

Deepak Chopra has an interesting take on God. He says that we don't understand God because we think of "him" as a person, but God is not a person, but rather a process (paraphrasing).

Labelling God with any word is foolish and stupid. The Tao that can be perceived is not the true Tao.

Any God who is unwilling to bow down and prove himself to the almighty Ricky Gervais is clearly non-existent.

BTW God is real because if he weren't there is no way my GvG sessions would work. It would basically be a bunch of NvG sessions.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

Allied Science Supporters

You obviously don't watch enough TV. :)

Labelling God with any word is foolish and stupid. The Tao that can be perceived is not the true Tao.

That's why faith is so very important to every religion ever conceived. All 2870 gods depend on it.

*Except the FSM and L. Ron Hubbard. They're obviously real.

I watch plenty of TV, most of it is Nick Jr and the Disney channel. :thumbdown:

For the short time I get the remote, I watch football, dirty jobs, mythbusters and The WalkingDead.

I have kids too, so I know what you mean! That's why god invented the DVR. Mythbusters is great. How's The Walking Dead?

Belief in God is just that- it is a concept that mankind is not capable of explaining. There is nothing wrong with believing in God or nor believing in God. The problem is when people think everyone should believe as they do.