Close losses...

Dorkington

This year and the last few years, we always lament close losses that should have been wins. Often times, counting them as moral victories and the what not.

But what about yesterday's close win that really should have been a loss? Do we celebrate in the streets and believe we are really close to a successful team? Or do we keep a level head and realize our 4 wins have been far from impressive (against bad teams, and/or being handed a victory) and realize we have a LONG way to go?

I love that we won yesterday... but when a kicker goes 0-4 and we win by three points... I have a hard time believing we actually deserve the victory. :blush:

Eitherway...

Fitzbeard has some damned balls. :D

And the Eagles had no business winning either. No one remembers how you win or lose. Just how many W's and L's. Isn't that what you always say?

PTR

I'm always of the opinion that Wins and Losses are the only thing that matters at the end of the year. You need wins to get to the playoffs. You need to get through the playoffs to win the big one, etc.

I'll take the victory, obviously.

I'm just interested in how the "we shoulda won..." crowd sees this last weekend's win.

And the Eagles and the Jets and . . . had no business winning either. No one remembers how you win or lose. Just how many W's and L's. Isn't that what you always say?

PTR

+1

Better teams find themselves winning games they shouldn't as opposed to losing games they shouldn't. . . .

I love that we won yesterday... but when a kicker goes 0-4 and we win by three points... I have a hard time believing we actually deserve the victory. :blush:

In some cases, you may be right. But the four attempts were LONG ones -- 61, 53, 48, 48. At least one of those 48 yard kicks was into the wind as well - can't remember about the second one. Those are very difficult kicks to make. If they missed a few 30-40 yarders, you might have a point.

This year and the last few years, we always lament close losses that should have been wins. Often times, counting them as moral victories and the what not.

But what about yesterday's close win that really should have been a loss? Do we celebrate in the streets and believe we are really close to a successful team? Or do we keep a level head and realize our 4 wins have been far from impressive (against bad teams, and/or being handed a victory) and realize we have a LONG way to go?

Eitherway...

Fitzbeard has some damned balls. :D

I agree.

During the Jauron/ Mularkey/ Williams years, we LOST games closely. We just "did not know how to win", and always found a way to give the game away to the other team.

This years squad has learned how to win, and is much better at finishing. Indeed, these games have been a refreshing sight, especially considering that we have no real big names.

Guess that kinda squashes the "lets go out and get big NAME free agent, or big NAME head coach" crowd, huh?

In some cases, you may be right. But the four attempts were LONG ones -- 61, 53, 48, 48. At least one of those 48 yard kicks was into the wind as well - can't remember about the second one. Those are very difficult kicks to make. If they missed a few 30-40 yarders, you might have a point.

I dunno... going 1/4 on long kicks seems reasonable to me. Especially for a Pro Bowl kicker.

BUT

I definitely have to give credit to the Bills D for forcing those long kicks. :D

This post is about as silly as they come... You think the Fish should have won the game? So... you're under the assumption that all Lindell has to do is line up for long ass FG's and we should all the games we played so far? Ridiculous.

I felt the Bills had control of that game pretty much all game.

That's all that needs to be said.

And the Eagles had no business winning either. No one remembers how you win or lose. Just how many W's and L's. Isn't that what you always say?

PTR

You're conflating the argument by really comparing the Eagles to the Bills? They shouldn't even be in the same sentence, and as flawed as a team can be, Philly is atop the NFCE.

You can't deny that some here revel in moral victories for a team not expected to win. It's been happening since 2006 but the problem remains that in their previous 2 rebuilds this decade the franchise never got over the hump and started winning those games. It's why I need to see it first before anointing them as a developing team. They're a long way away from being that.

This post is about as silly as they come... You think the Fish should have won the game? So... you're under the assumption that all Lindell has to do is line up for long ass FG's and we should all the games we played so far? Ridiculous.

I felt the Bills had control of that game pretty much all game.

Huh?

I think you're misinterpreting things a bit.

Every close loss, the posts here are "we should have won this game...", but when we get a victory that the other team handed us by missing 4 field goals, we hear nothing about it.

I was simply wondering from the "we shoulda..." crowd, if they think we should have lost this last game, and if they are treating it as such.

I treat losses as losses and wins as wins.

I dunno... going 1/4 on long kicks seems reasonable to me. Especially for a Pro Bowl kicker.

BUT

I definitely have to give credit to the Bills D for forcing those long kicks. :D

In his defense, it's probably extremely hard to kick field goals with a big floppy dolphin tail and no external genitalia.

Huh?

I think you're misinterpreting things a bit.

Every close loss, the posts here are "we should have won this game...", but when we get a victory that the other team handed us by missing 4 field goals, we hear nothing about it.

I was simply wondering from the "we shoulda..." crowd, if they think we should have lost this last game, and if they are treating it as such.

I treat losses as losses and wins as wins.

Is it that hard to understand that a fan would prefer to see his glass as half-full, or even to say, "hey, there's still some left?"

Not to anyone with a brain who is not going out of his way to be a jerk.

I agree.

During the Jauron/ Mularkey/ Williams years, we LOST games closely. We just "did not know how to win", and always found a way to give the game away to the other team.

This years squad has learned how to win, and is much better at finishing. Indeed, these games have been a refreshing sight, especially considering that we have no real big names.

Guess that kinda squashes the "lets go out and get big NAME free agent, or big NAME head coach" crowd, huh?

They have learned how to win? Jauron usually won 7 games. We have won four.....

Because the close losses were things like dropped touchdowns in the endzone... Not longshot fieldgoals with low percentage chances of success. :)

Is it that hard to understand that a fan would prefer to see his glass as half-full, or even to say, "hey, there's still some left?"

Not to anyone with a brain who is not going out of his way to be a jerk.

I assure you, I have a brain. Though, I may be a jerk, that's subjective.

It was a question, I wasn't insulting anyone, I was simply trying to understand the mindset. Sorry for offending. :)

I assure you, I have a brain. Though, I may be a jerk, that's subjective.

It was a question, I wasn't insulting anyone, I was simply trying to understand the mindset. Sorry for offending. :)

Jerk is subjective, and you probably are not one, so I apologize for that. But your original question was nonsensical (because the answer was so close at hand) and obviously intended to provoke, both of which are jerk-like qualities. You are smart enough to know that.

Jerk is subjective, and you probably are not one, so I apologize for that. But your original question was nonsensical (because the answer was so close at hand) and obviously intended to provoke, both of which are jerk-like qualities. You are smart enough to know that.

Nah, wasn't intentionally provoking, though I could see it that way.

I tend to look at a glass neither half full, nor half empty, but just as a half glass. I think you answered it pretty clearly in the "look at it in a glass half full way". Good enough for me.

I'm hoping we get another couple victories that we aren't supposed to get to close the season out. :D

Are you saying he is a jerk or not? Equivocating only adds to confusion. Just go ahead and make a clear declaration of Jerkitude and be done with it.