YOUR Buffalo Bills QB next season

BillsObserver

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the Bills QB next season?

• Ryan Fitzmagic Fitzpatrick
    • Donovan McNabb
    • Draft choice (Newton, Mallet, Locker, etc.)
    • Brian Brohm
    • Trade for Kevin Kolb
    • Other (please specify, i.e. other veteran free agent)

Fresh off the news of McNabb being benched in favor of Rex Grossman (lol) and the possibility of him being released this off-season, I thought I'd throw up a poll asking who should be the Bills QB next season.

I was going to put "Fitzpatrick/Drafted QB" as an option, meaning the drafted guy would sit a year or two behind Fitzy but I didn't want to confuse anybody. If that's what you'd do, just select Fitzy and give your opinion on who should learn behind him for a year.

For the record, I think McNabb is shot and I wouldn't even consider that option but there are people out there who think he's got some gas left in the tank. My vote goes for Fitzpatrick. Give him the mini-camp, training camp, pre-season and regular season as the starter and figure out if he can get the job done with more talent around him.

I definitely feel Fitpatrick has earned the starting job next year. The man plays the game with grit, he's tough, a great leader and competitor and is very smart in reading defenses, his progressions, and knowing what is going on on the field. He has gotten better with playing time. Yes, he makes some mistakes at times but so do all good quaterbacks. But he also has brought us back in games. Bottom line for me is I think he has the hard to find "it" factor that is always talked about. I am fine with drafting another qb to groom or to grooming brohm and spending our high picks on upgrading in the many other places that need it. But till he proves me wrong, I say we stick with Fitz.

Fresh off the news of McNabb being benched in favor of Rex Grossman (lol) and the possibility of him being released this off-season, I thought I'd throw up a poll asking who should be the Bills QB next season.

I was going to put "Fitzpatrick/Drafted QB" as an option, meaning the drafted guy would sit a year or two behind Fitzy but I didn't want to confuse anybody. If that's what you'd do, just select Fitzy and give your opinion on who should learn behind him for a year.

For the record, I think McNabb is shot and I wouldn't even consider that option but there are people out there who think he's got some gas left in the tank. My vote goes for Fitzpatrick. Give him the mini-camp, training camp, pre-season and regular season as the starter and figure out if he can get the job done with more talent around him.

Fresh off the news? I saw this on ESPN yesterday about 5 p.m. !! Here's the thing about good teams, and I'm not including the Redskins in this evaluation...They know when to dump a player !! Look at the Patriots & Eagles...The Eagles saw a decline in McNabb and saw him hitting the wall. They were right and usually are! New England realized that Randy Moss hit the same wall and back a few years Lawyer Milloy did as well. The problem with teams like Washington and our Bills is that they often sort through another teams's junk pile and try to salvage a career that isn't salvagable (exception: T.O.) The Bills recently did this with Shawn Merriman and it looks like that project is over before it started. It's funny how New England can evaluate talent better than anyone else. They can take your junk and make them a Pro Bowler, yet dismiss perrenial big name players like Richard Seymour and they die out on some other teams's roster. I guess when it comes down to it, talent evaluation is the key to success or failure as a NFL franchise. That is why the same teams re-load and are almost always near the top ie: Pittsburgh, New England, Indianapolis (down year..but still in it) San Diego, Philadelphia, etc....While Teams like Buffalo, Detroit, Cincinatti, Cleveland, etc...are somewhere from mediocre to bottom feeders year in and year out. This is one reason why I don't take our Bills too seriously until we release Tom modrak !!! Getting back on topic though...I think Ryan Fitzpatrick has earned the starting positon next year, but we should still draft our future franchise QB in the upcoming draft.

most people view qbs like spouses before they get married - they want perfection. everybody wants the next manning. everybody wants the next june cleaver

so would i but thats irrational. theres only so many of each. and in the nfl its even worse cuz you gotta marry somebody

give fitz a fourish year extenstion and make somebody take the job away from him

I definitely feel Fitpatrick has earned the starting job next year. The man plays the game with grit, he's tough, a great leader and competitor and is very smart in reading defenses, his progressions, and knowing what is going on on the field. He has gotten better with playing time. Yes, he makes some mistakes at times but so do all good quaterbacks. But he also has brought us back in games. Bottom line for me is I think he has the hard to find "it" factor that is always talked about. I am fine with drafting another qb to groom or to grooming brohm and spending our high picks on upgrading in the many other places that need it. But till he proves me wrong, I say we stick with Fitz.

I agree, yet at the same time I feel the next three games are crucial for him to nail the starting job down. It's all about winning the AFC East, & since we are playing our rivals, I think he needs to fair well. A clunker or two & we'll be rethinking this.

most people view qbs like spouses before they get married - they want perfection. everybody wants the next manning. everybody wants the next june cleaver

so would i but thats irrational. theres only so many of each. and in the nfl its even worse cuz you gotta marry somebody

give fitz a fourish year extenstion and make somebody take the job away from him

+ 1

PTR

Off the subject, the photo on your avatar is terrifying. :cry:

On the subject, there are still 3 big divisional games in which still need to be played that will go a long way in determining if Fitz is our long term answer, but if we win all 3 or 2 of 3 and Fitz plays like he's been playing for most of this season, he should without question be the man going into next season. If we really like a QB in the draft and have a chance to get him, I think we should and let him learn under Fitz for a couple years (see Aaron Rodgers) and MAYBE in a couple years we have the same "problem" that SD had with Brees and Rivers.

Edited by machinegun12

i dont know why people would vote for anyone except fitz or draft pick. its obvious fitz is doing one HELL of a job. We wouldnt trade for any other QB, thats more training under a new qb, more "rebuilding" with that qb, if he isnt a bill now, he will not start next year. Even if we draft a qb (which i hope we dont) he will be on the bench. Chan will never throw a rookie in there his first year.

Go fitz!

Go bills!

Adding a free agent like Kevin Kolb makes zero sense unless the Bills are convinced that Fitz is not going to be their starting quarterback moving forward. He (Kolb) simply makes too much money, and has too much talent to be riding the pine.

IMO....Fitz has earned the starting job for next season. Perhaps the Bills will add a free agent, or draft a mid-late round QB to add depth if they don't like Brohm, but I highly doubt they will go QB in round 1.

I've never thought of it like this, but it's a very good comparison. I agree completely...some teams every 5-10 years get their "perfect soulmate", but it's not likely. Find a hard working qb with talent enough to win and surround him with other talent. I vote Fitz. Although, another quality qb on the roster is needed to keep pushing the incumbent. I don't think Brohm is really lighting a fire under anyone.

I've never thought of it like this, but it's a very good comparison. I agree completely...some teams every 5-10 years get their "perfect soulmate", but it's not likely. Find a hard working qb with talent enough to win and surround him with other talent. I vote Fitz. Although, another quality qb on the roster is needed to keep pushing the incumbent. I don't think Brohm is really lighting a fire under anyone.

Doesn't look like Brohm even has a lighter.

I think Fitz is the starter regardless, but wouldn't put it out of the question for one to be drafted next year to sit behind Fitz for the future.

It would be hard to justify taking a QB in the early rounds with Fitzwilly playing like a stud when we have so many other needs...& is a later round QB pick a logical move?

Fritz is my starter next year ... and I would prefer we not waste a pick on a QB this year. My thoughts:

When the season started, I figured a 4 win season at best, with many of the games complete blowouts. I can't imagine anyone looking at the schedule could see us winning more than one division game, maybe one from Miami. Then the other games, like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, GB, Minn, Chicago, ete. Many figured to be 33-3 games.

What happened is we got a throwback QB in Fritz. He reminds me at times of Kelly ... wants to hit someone, not afraid, not always pretty, but giving 110%. And look at his receivers, we were not very good to start, Evans and Parrish out ... yet we have found and developed some new players who have been exciting at times. Running game as been OK, at yimes even good. Line has been patchwok but showing signs of hope.

Are they better than last year, maybe, but at least they are easier to watch !

We held Pisstburgh and Baltimore to a standstill ... and has Pittsburh beat.

So .. I say ... give him a chance .. what we need is a D that can stop the run, some secondary that might ACTUALLY pick off a pass, harass a receiver, make some hits. We NEED a pass rush ...

We finally have a HC, a QB we can live with ... lets get some D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I wonder how they will play this.....I don't think any of us knows about Brohm or Brown...they haven't see the field this year. But, after a year (or so wrt Brown) Brohm has thrown a lot of passes with Chan watching...so this isn't like thye are coming into the draft not knowing anything. I would not be surprised if they signed a free agent QB for camp, but would not rule out status unchanged next year at QB...and spend the draft choices on needed guys in the trenches. We have been whupped in the trenchs by all the good teams. And, if there is another guy like that Hillis in Cleveland...better get one of those too.