Wang

Rinehart was a 3rd round pick of the Skins in 2008 and started 4 games for them last year, before getting injured. So while he was on the Bills' PS, it's not like he is a rookie. The Bills may be disappointed in Wang, but again, Brad Butler didn't do much his rookie year either, as he was recovering from injury and learning a new position(s).

I didn't know Rinehart was a 3rd rounder. That changes things a bit, in my view. Thanks Doc.

So Washington cut him this September in favor of guys like Mike Williams and Derrick Dockery? That's interesting.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I didn't know Rinehart was a 3rd rounder. That changes things a bit, in my view. Thanks Doc.

So Washington cut him this September in favor of guys like Mike Williams and Derrick Dockery? That's interesting.

In today's Bills Focus video, they talk about Rinehart and how he says that it's only over the last month that has he started to feel "physically right" from his injury in 2009. So the Skins' impatience could be the Bills' gain.

You mean pull a Lorena Bobbitt?! No way!

But seriously, he'll be given several years to develop. The marketing potential is China alone makes it worth it.

As for Wang's potential, recall the last OT the Bills drafted in the 5th round from a college in the state of Virginia, who also missed most of his rookie year. He did alright (until he retired early after suffering a knee injury...okay it's no longer a mystery, it was Brad Butler!). Give him at least another year.

????

The marketing potential in China? For the Bills?

I didn't notice Wang last week. The Bills were rotating Howard & Rinehart at RG, Wang wasn't in the rotation. Since Bell, Levitre, Wood & Wrotto played the whole game I doubt Wang got in for many, if any, offensive plays.

There was an article I read this week where the writer attributed Rinehart's playing time to Wang, but the writer was wrong.

Pretty sure he was on kick-off returns

????

The marketing potential in China? For the Bills?

They don't care if he plays in Buffalo or Indy. He's on of them, thats all that matters. If Yao went to the Grizzlies, half of China would have tuned in for Memphis games. Now Yao is much bigger than Ed Wang and basketball is more of a global sport than football, but don't underestimate the Chinese when it comes to pulling for one of their own.

They don't care if he plays in Buffalo or Indy. He's on of them, thats all that matters. If Yao went to the Grizzlies, half of China would have tuned in for Memphis games. Now Yao is much bigger than Ed Wang and basketball is more of a global sport than football, but don't underestimate the Chinese when it comes to pulling for one of their own.

Yep. I wasn't trying to imply the team made a difference, or that the Bills picked him because of this angle (no one in the NFL realized it until after he was drafted). Just that now that he's been drafted and the marketing aspect is known, he'll probably get more chances than the typical 5th rounder gets.

As for becoming as famous as Ming, Wang is in a non-glamorous position. If he were at any other position than OL, where he could score TD's, sack the QB, make INT's, etc., he'd be a much bigger draw. But he still should get a sizable draw, assuming he amounts to anything.

Edited by Doc

The big difference is Yao is a Chinese national, Ed Wang is an American whose parents are from China. He was born in Virginia.

He's not one of them, he's one of US.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

The big difference is Yao is a Chinese national, Ed Wang is an American whose parents are from China. He was born in Virginia.

He's not one of them, he's one of US.

He's also a tackle. Even if he was born in Beijing and the grandson of Mao, and played like Walter Jones, there's only so much a star OL could do to popularize football in China. If he was a QB, then we might have a marketing opportunity.