Fostering a Dog

bartshan-83

***UPDATE - Bernie has been FOUND***

WOW! So after a day and a half of searching, calling, etc., some good samaritan came across the goofball crossing the road on his way to work. Craziness is two-fold:

1. Judging by where he got lost, which direction he initially headed and where he wound up, I estimate he walked at minimum 15-20 miles over 36 hours.

2. He was found on the road less than 1/4 mile from where I work! I literally could have gone outside to the road and seen it happen. Where he escaped is about 6 miles away. A small part of me would like to believe that he was trying to find his foster dad! :lol:;)

Anyway, alls well that ends well. The crazy boy came back with a slight limp and looking a little leaner, but he seemed no worse for the wear. I was seriously starting to think he was a goner with the weather and a snow storm coming tonight. What a great feeling. Thanks for all your well wishes!

So to conclude this LAMP thread, fostering a dog was an incredibly rewarding experience. We're definitely going to take a break from it for awhile because it was quite a bit more emotionally taxing than we expected. But maybe sometime we'll do it again.

Cheers to Bernie....pictured asleep in his new home after his big day out.

:thumbsup: Give him a little extra kibble tonight!

***UPDATE - Bernie has been FOUND***

WOW! So after a day and a half of searching, calling, etc., some good samaritan came across the goofball crossing the road on his way to work. Craziness is two-fold:

1. Judging by where he got lost, which direction he initially headed and where he wound up, I estimate he walked at minimum 15-20 miles over 36 hours.

2. He was found on the road less than 1/4 mile from where I work! I literally could have gone outside to the road and seen it happen. Where he escaped is about 6 miles away. A small part of me would like to believe that he was trying to find his foster dad! :lol:;)

Anyway, alls well that ends well. The crazy boy came back with a slight limp and looking a little leaner, but he seemed no worse for the wear. I was seriously fear for the worst with the weather and a snow storm coming tonight. What a great feeling. Thanks for all your well wishes!

So to conclude this LAMP thread, fostering a dog was an incredibly rewarding experience. We're definitely going to take a break from it for awhile because it was quite a bit more emotionally taxing than we expected. But maybe sometime we'll do it again.

Cheers to Bernie....pictured asleep in his new home after his big day out.

Oh thank God, some good news!

Glad the lil guy is back. At least the family knows they have a runner on their hands now. Very very happy to hear that he's been found and doing well.

Just saw this thread this a.m. and said a little prayer. So happy there was a good resolution!

As far as pulling, etc. we got a Gentle Leader collar for our stubborn GSP and it's worked wonders. Also using a training collar for the first time. We've had 5 GSPs and none of them have been as pig-headed as this little boy (he was reportedly the bully of the litter), but he's doing a lot better now wrt whining in the box, staying on the bed during dinner, and stay/come. It may be a matter of us getting him at 4 months instead of 9 weeks like the others... but he needed a good home. And we needed to move on after losing two of the best dogs ever a few years ago.

As for the Aussies, my uncle had one named Specks back in the day and he and my dad always laugh when talking about it. My dad could not sneak up on the house b/c the dog gave notice when the car was still 1/2 mile away. My uncle says, "I could always tell if you or dad were coming over. If it was dad, he'd jump this high [gesturing at hip level]... if it was you, he'd jump this high [gesturing at chest level]."

One of my former English instructors at the U said, "All good dogs are a little loopy. If they weren't, they'd just be moving furniture."

Anyway, glad Bernie's back home....